Sonic

Tiberium Cancelled by EA for Not Meeting Standards

Finally we have some news about Tiberium, and its not good news. Kotaku received some news today confirming the bitter end for Tiberium. Simply put the ambitious Command & Conquer based squad shooter, Tiberium, was not on track to meet the high quality standards set by the development team and since been cancelled, some staff will also be let go. Mike Verdu, the EALA General Manager, released this statement.

It is with a heavy heart that I announce an end to all work on Tiberium effective immediately. I've consulted with Nick Earl and Frank Gibeau at the EA Games Label and together we have reached the conclusion that given the time and resources remaining, we will not be able to deliver this product to an appropriate level of quality.

The game had fundamental design challenges from the start. We fought to correct the issues, but we were not successful; the game just isn't coming together well enough to meet our own quality expectations as well as those of our consumers.

Unfortunately, this action will result in several individuals on the team being released. We will make every effort to place affected individuals on projects within the studio - and where that isn't possible, to connect them with opportunities in other teams at EA.

This is the right move for the studio and the company, but it's particularly hard for me because of the impact it will have on our people. Many individuals contributed their time and talents to this game. I spent time in the trenches with them and I was continually impressed by their work.

Moving forward, we need to make sure this doesn't happen again. I believe we are already doing a better job of engineering success in from the start. The quality bar has been raised. Now we need to step up our focus on great design and execution, catching any problems early and correcting them quickly.

We will strive to live up to our values: To make great games, treat people right, keep our commitments, and grow our business.

Mike Verdu

EA LA

5510 Lincoln Blvd

Playa Vista, CA 90094

While we will never know the full story, the cancellation could be linked to several factors. The really long news drought, Red Alert 3 dominating the news, lack of a C&C mode, lack of interest in the game, the announcement of the game being delayed, the community manager quit. A sad to end to what could have been an interesting game.

Well it certainly sucks, but in the end i think they made the best decision. Maybe now (wishful thinking) we can maybe see a EA version of a Rene2 or something of the sort.

I can dream right :huh: lol

this really does suck. i was so excited about this game it had so much potential. it was innovative and it was C&C.

damnit. damnit all to hell. :mellow:

I won't say I'm sorry since I was more interested in the Renegade mods like Reborn, APB and AR than Tiberium. Still, it's quite a shame that all their work has gone to trash.

That brings me to another subject. What's next in the Tiberian storyline? If my memory doesn't fail me, they once mention RA3 and a new C&C game. Well, Tiberium is dead (even when EA denied it the C&C title); so, if it isn't a C&C4, most probably it is a Generals 2.

Wait. EA had standards? LOLWUT

Haha... I laughed.

Can't say it'll be missed... The second I learned it wasn't going to use Renegade's style of play I instantly didn't really care.

I'm shocked by this news, I really wanted to play a new C&C FPS game :( We are going to have to wait even longer now for a new one. I'm really starting to get bored of Renegade/APB/Reborn and other mods.

But now it makes me think, what will the next C&C FPS title be? I'm really hoping that they do C&C mode and add "Command & Conquer" to the title.

Another good thing is that the game options for the C&C RA3 Premier Edition BETA key have narrowed down, high chances that it will be C&C Generals 2.

LOL. Nice one. :P

Can't say it'll be missed... The second I learned it wasn't going to use Renegade's style of play I instantly didn't really care.

That's silly. I would love another game with that Renegade style of play, but this game had great potential. Its a bummer though.

I wonder what game could be next? :unsure:

While I dug the maturity and gameplay concept of Tiberium, I knew from the start that it's going to disappear, the level design simply did not hold up. Well, quite unfortunate, I would have enjoyed the gameplay and atmosphere for sure. On the other hand, it's a bold, yet good move to cancel a project that did not meet standards, which means that in the CnC branch, there actually are.

Btw, EALA's lack of experience in the FPS genre? Does Undying or MoH ring a bell, Sonic? :P

Everyone here who mentions "Renegade 2" like projects: that ain't going to happen. Renegade didn't sell very well, and with the 2nd shot at a C&C FPS, Tiberium, getting axed... they'll never try again.

I guess the novel released together with C&C3 really was the starting point for the Tiberium storyline, and the game should have been out fall 2007 to fit nicely in the marketing scheme. And the more delays... the more dated the game will be when it's finally out. Too bad :rolleyes:

But look at the much anticipated Killzone 2 for PS3: it's been delayed for over 2 years now... there are some parallels there, only Sony can't affort to cancel it.

That was the first thing I thought too :)

Probably it is because the game wasn't directly made by EA but by EALA :)

I'm with Hagren here - it's a bold move to just pull the plug. And one I generally support. Better to cancel it rather than release a sub-standard game.

I'm dissapointed that this did not work out - but perhaps in the future they can revisit the FPS genre.

As also mentioned - this certainly spices up the beta key speculation.

TIBERIUM - RIP.

Edited by gben

This really does sadden me, as I was quite looking forward to playing Tiberium; on the other hand, there's still Renegade X to look forward to (A mod for UT3 headed up by FobbyGen for those who don't know).

I can't say I'm really sad about this since I had little interest in the game, but it's still disappointing. At least EA appears to actually care whether or not a game is good.

EALA's lack of experience in the FPS genre? Does Undying or MoH ring a bell, Sonic? :P

Oops :blush: All fixed now ;)

Everyone here who mentions "Renegade 2" like projects: that ain't going to happen. Renegade didn't sell very well, and with the 2nd shot at a C&C FPS, Tiberium, getting axed... they'll never try again.

Renegade didn't sell we because Westwood dropped it as soon as it was released. Here we are 6 years later and Renegade is still going strong.

When Tiberium was announced and then they started confirming how the game would play and the fact it wasn't Renegade 2 everyone wanted, the out crying for Renegade features like C&C Mode began. EA would have heard all this and they probably understand the market potential is still there for a C&C FPS. Renegade 2 would be the safest option, especially if you slap the C&C logo on it.

This really does sadden me, as I was quite looking forward to playing Tiberium; on the other hand, there's still Renegade X to look forward to.

Yeah, Renegade X could be the only ticket to a C&C FPS for a long time.

Yeah, Renegade X could be the only ticket to a C&C FPS for a long time.

Good enough for me. :D

Woo, a really bad news. So far, I guess that one of the cause might be the lame title itself. Only "Tiberium"? Sheesh!

Definitely saw this coming.

I remember when they announced the game early in the year, the community did not receive it well at all. One of the first announcements of the game was that it wouldn't be getting a "C&C mode", and that instead its multiplayer would resemble Battlefield - that was an immediate turn off for most C&C Renegade fans.

Same goes for the idea of the game revolving around AI squads taking over Tiberium spikes, totally not what C&C Renegade fans want. All they really want is the system of buildings, credits, purchase, and base destruction.

After that unreceived launch, we didn't get news on the game for 8 months, and no information at Leipzig. Just Zonerunner leaving and the game being delayed till mid 2009. So seeing this game being killed off wasn't a shocker. It's good to know EA cares about the quality of their work.

I wasn't too excited about the game though; simply not my style of game. I really hope EA gives a second try to a C&C FPS in the future, we really need one.

I guess that gives more pressure on our team to make Renegade X the best it could be :rolleyes:

Edited by [NE]Fobby[GEN]

I do hope EA will consider a Renegade sequel, that was my favorite game for online play. Other C&Cs I mostly just play solo.

Abit shocking but not too surprising...

To start, I have little interest in the game and the direction it was taking... and also disappointed that it has no C&C attached. Oh well,...

Seems like Generals 2 is very likely?

And, LoL~ at the "EA had standards?"

Edited by spark

Another good thing is that the game options for the C&C RA3 Premier Edition BETA key have narrowed down, high chances that it will be C&C Generals 2.

yeah i agree it will be G2, but with a more CnC style and toolbar etc.

look the only sad is that people lost their jobs!

i dont care that much for an FPS game, althought it look promising,

criticts on EALA support was really hard latly after the KW release, so i think they got the message "dont srue it up cause fans will not forgive you again"

and it "sounds" also a "good" marketing strategy to go, "we cancel that cause we dont want failure releases with major problems, and luck of support"

thats the Blizzard Model - Police and it worked for Blizzard damn good so far dont you think?

why not for EALA too this time.?

i told you they take things More seriously now than ever and thats a Good think.

I just hope those talanted people will find a new job right away.

Edited by Johnnyxp64

It's kinda sad. Lately I've had the feeling that EA milked C&C, so many games in such short time. Maybe this will slow the milking a bit and in the end make C&C prosper? :)

look the only sad is that people lost their jobs!

That is the key thing to look at really. I like to believe EA have taken a strong stance in listening to community affairs. Maybe the team just didn't "get it"... Or maybe since it's a new title, the dev cycle was up with no real immediate end in sight. We'll never know...

It's a grave misfortune, and while some say it's not shocking, I myself am stunned. This was my most anticipated game for some time, even ahead of RA3! I was quite looking forward to digging into this game and giving it my whole attention for the site and the community... it's quite a painful end in some respects. I would have loved this... I mean I love FPS games like crazy! Well, Renegade X has centre stage, and I think community interest is going to rise a lot more with this cancellation. Fobby and his team has his work cut out now! :P

Anyway, let's just hope RA3 puts on a good show, and that the next title is even better, whatever it may be.