Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Rumour - Is Command & Conquer: Future Wars the Next C&C Game?

And so the rumours begin, the rumour mill has started. Over the past couple of weeks we have posted news about cancelled C&C projects that will never see the light of day. However this is the first news post dealing with the next Command & Conquer game. Rumours have been floating around for a couple days now that next game has been given a working title of "Command & Conquer: Future Wars". There is some speculation that it could even be an FPS game, and the Danger Close team inside EALA, who made the single player part of the new Medal of Honor, could be involved. Now to the other part of this massively rumoured news. Someone on the Official C&C Forums claims that a team of programmers/developers from EA visited his university to make a presentation about game development, production, quality assurance and final release. One of these developers said the new C&C was in it's very early alpha stages of development, and since there was no NDA he was able to discuss the game and reveal this information.

• It's working under the tentative title Command and Conquer: Future Wars but if it is the final title he couldn't say since the top ups hadn't decided yet.
  • There are planned to be 3 main factions. He didn't tell me which ones for fear I would leak it (lol irony) but he did say the primary colours of the three factions are Silver, Red, and Black. I wonder if NOD is making some sort of return? Possibly some GDI-esk or United Nations faction too?
  • For the first time in the CnC line, each faction will use a different Power Plant mechanic. He said that the Red guys are the only ones who use Power for buildings and defenses, while the Silver use a system that only applies to units, and so has no limit on defenses. He implied the Black faction has economic limits instead.
  • Instead of dividing each faction into Offense, Defense, and Support like CnC4 the CnC3 and older system is more favoured and the designers are currently working around making each build - infantry, vehicles and air - viable game choices within one faction instead of imposed sanctions.
  • The game is currently being played but is in its skeletal stages. Balance is terrible and the designer told me that one of the units he designed - the Tier 2 'Railsniper' - was hideously overpowered when garrisoned. Another unit he mentioned was the 'Cataclysm Platform' which was a slow doomsday artillery device that the Red faction can use to resurrect their own dead as un-dead super-soldiers. Reminds me a bit of Nod's Redemption power, except a ton more awesome.
  • Lastly he talked about how they were disappointed with Commandos. One of the major design points this time around was to make Commando Infantry a late-game force to be feared as well as being totally unique to each faction. Some aspects they are playing with are Commandos flown in by Supersonic Jets when created, Commandos with insane regeneration rates, and even getting two separate Commandos for the price of one. He mentioned that the Red Commando is similar to Godzilla... can't wait to try that unit out.

Obviously none of this news is to be considered confirmed, it is all rumours and pure speculation right now. You can check out the thread on the Official C&C Forums about these Command & Conquer: Future Wars rumours right here. Personally I don't believe any of this news, and I question if it should even be posted at all. But it should make for some interesting discussion.

Sounds pretty good, I hope it's not all bull**** :P

Guest Stevie_K

While this may be rumors, they actually sound really awesome.

I would even embrace a new universe!

As long as the OLD C&C FORMULA is back!!

I know the title is not final since it's still a rumor, let's hope there's something more creative than that.

Mechanic wise is kind of odd with some of the changes and it reminds me a little like Generals when it comes to power.

But whatever, as long as it's just like a WW-era C&C game, I'll buy that.

Reading this struck me as legit. It doesn't seem strange to me that EA would be going to universities looking for people to hire, especially after the amount of people laid off during C&C4's development. It's also not strange for them to be in alpha stages with a new game now. To me it sounds like a new "canon" under the C&C name (3 factions, none are gold like GDI or blue like Allies or green like GLA).

It also seems like a sort of "reversion" to the old RTS formula with some new twists. We all know how much of a disaster C&C4 was, and after learning that it was just a skunkswork project forced onto EALA by the suits, and after seeing the success of Starcraft 2 as a high-budget classic-style RTS game, it would make sense for EA to go back to the drawing board to take a chunk of that audience. An audience which still, potentially, can be 5 million strong.

Call me gullible, but I think this is very likely.

So FUTURE WARS sounds like Generals 2...

Playing the alpha now sounds like sage...

So FUTURE WARS sounds like Generals 2...

Playing the alpha now sounds like sage...

QFT.

Another Sage game would totally suck IMO. That engine needs to be replaced :(. Why won't they ever learn.

Guest Stevie_K

Because of the fact that as long as something is mediocre and works, then it's a go.

Personally I think these rumours are a steaming pile of pure bull****.... but I didn't want that in the news post ;)

Why all the hate for SAGE/RNA Engine? So what if they use it again. Each time its been used it has been improved on. Other companies do the exact same thing. Valve have been milking the Source Engine for years now. Game engines simply get improved and upgraded with new features to advantage of new hardware. If you compare SAGE/RNA from C&C 3 to C&C 4, you will see heaps of improvements.

If you compare SAGE/RNA from C&C 3 to C&C 4, you will see heaps of improvements.

Unfortunately if you compare gameplay from C&C 3 to C&C 4, you will be greatly let down.

Personally I think these rumours are a steaming pile of pure bull****.... but I didn't want that in the news post ;)

Why all the hate for SAGE/RNA Engine? So what if they use it again. Each time its been used it has been improved on. Other companies do the exact same thing. Valve have been milking the Source Engine for years now. Game engines simply get improved and upgraded with new features to advantage of new hardware. If you compare SAGE/RNA from C&C 3 to C&C 4, you will see heaps of improvements.

Well, I gotta agree with you on that. The engine hasn't been the problem, just the lack of time spent on making the game.

I'd like a new series though. It should fit nicely with the new, less serious turn EA has been taking for C&C lately.

Guest Stevie_K

SAGE is not a bad engine, but it could be a lot better.

SAGE is not a bad engine, but it could be a lot better.

I agree. There's nothing inherently wrong with the engine, but it's become kind of outdated. Westwood first used a "pre-SAGE" engine with Emperor, which was almost 10 years ago. You could even do an Unreal Engine 3 RTS game that would look and run a lot better than SAGE if done properly. Source on the other hand is 6 years old, and I doubt Valve will be using it 4 years from now.

None of you can comment of SAGE's power becuase you only know its visual incarnations, the engine is very powerful and really expandable. Would not be supprised if most of the FPS games EA has release are based on the sage visual rendering power.

Godzilla commando? :P

Sounds more like an epic/ultimate unit (or an experimental if we use SupCom's terminology).

Luk3us will believe it when Luk3us sees it. :)

Sonic, there's no need to post this news. Seraph, the moderator from the official CNC forums, already knew it's a fake.

Besides I think C&C: Future Wars may be the other title of that canceled C&C project title together along with Project Camacho.

http://forums.cncnz.com/index.php?showtopic=14458

Remember Advanced Wars for the GBA? The cartoonish screenshots in that thread fits the title for C&C: Future Wars. Future Wars sounded like a similar copycat to Advanced Wars. I say C&C: Future Wars is NOT the next new C&C title game. A new name is still to be determined.

Unfortunately if you compare gameplay from C&C 3 to C&C 4, you will be greatly let down.

Not exactly discussing the gameplay here ;)

I agree. There's nothing inherently wrong with the engine, but it's become kind of outdated. Westwood first used a "pre-SAGE" engine with Emperor, which was almost 10 years ago. You could even do an Unreal Engine 3 RTS game that would look and run a lot better than SAGE if done properly. Source on the other hand is 6 years old, and I doubt Valve will be using it 4 years from now.

Lets say they make a new engine, it will be based on the old one anyway, so it will be SAGE/RNA version whatever. Valve would do the same with Source, Epic with their Unreal Engine. The new engine is based off the previous one.

Sonic, there's no need to post this news. Seraph, the moderator from the official CNC forums, already knew it's a fake.

Its in the news, its being discussed. I'm sure Seraph is a good moderator on the Official C&C Forums, but he doesn't have any inside info to determine if this news is fake or not.

I'm quite skeptical about this. From this rumor I read, I doubt its real, and somehow not very innovative enough.