Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

15 Years of Command & Conquer - A Video Retrospective

It was in my opinion...

Generals/Zero Hour better than RA3? Still holds true today. Even C&C3 has more votes than RA1. I believe now that EA still has no idea where to left off in C&C now since Generals and I will guarantee now that EA has forgotten what they did to C&C Generals/Zero Hour. When will EA ever make Generals 2?

What is there to like in Generals/Zero Hour? A campaign with absolutely no storyline, boring units? In RA3 you at least know why you're fighting a battle in SP and how close you are to the end, and it has the units and gameplay done with much bigger imagination. Can't see why Gamespot users gave Generals a much bigger rating than to RA3

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

Generals storyline was actually pretty nice, it was more believable and had that excellent feeling of participating in worldwide news, the war on terror, middleast turmoil, China's emergence, curiously it reminds me a lot of the original C&C GDI campaign, which gave you that feeling which made C&C famous.

And it was exactly this point, the fact you feel like you are general from real world writting history with pausible weaponry in a convincing enviroment, what made people love so much Generals, you were not playing a game, you were experiencing today's modern warfare.

Haha, nice one Kane Nash. Some good old GTO treatment is exactly what EA needs IMO

Indeed, I think this world would have been far better if anyone had had GTO as his/her school teacher, heck, I need a guy like that back on my days as a school boy.

Anyway...

Command and conquer GENERALS! :thumbsup:

Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun

8.2 (4,203 votes)

Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars

8.9 (12,377 votes)

-Except for RA2, no light-hearted designed game has managed to do better than more serious themed and realistic releases.

Uh uh! C&C3 did way better than TS and we all know what a light-hearted cartoony piece of crap C&3 is. Most of the designs in TW are ridiculous (Scorpion Tank, Attack bike, Pitbull etc) not to mention that all of the new units in KW was way worse.

I don't feel that TW have the same amount of seriousness as TS has.

I think most of us dont agree with you in the way we perceive TW.

I do.

Ah, it's really just personal preference. In my opinion, TS was much more futuristic than C&C3; the main reason for the unit designs in TW were mostly focused on a throwback to the old unit designs in TD. Both are fun for me, and I won't rate one better than the other. But it's all relative; there's no such thing such as a right or wrong opinion.

Guest Stevie_K
Uh uh! C&C3 did way better than TS and we all know what a light-hearted cartoony piece of crap C&3 is. Most of the designs in TW are ridiculous (Scorpion Tank, Attack bike, Pitbull etc) not to mention that all of the new units in KW was way worse.

I don't feel that TW have the same amount of seriousness as TS has.

I agree. The seriousness has dropped rapidly with C&C3. The appearance of structures and units, the music and especially the kill sounds, those have all been softened to a disgusting degree in order to make paranoid parents more likely to buy the game. Not saying it didn't work or that it ain't okay to widen the range of costumers, it's just sad it had to affect some of the core elements of what C&C is.

the main reason for the unit designs in TW were mostly focused on a throwback to the old unit designs in TD.

I only see very few units and even fewer buildings that can visually be related to anything in TS or TD. Was that mentioned in an interview? I'd like to see it, because it sounds very contradicting.

While you can actually have your own personal opinions I am showing you factual information, I am not saying that you are wrong or right about what C&C is better, but from an strictly statistical point of view the numbers has the best argument for showing how much the franchise has been socre through the years, you may dismiss this data in favour of your personal point of view, but so far as we know it's a more reliable source to see the whole picture.

Except those "facts" are all based on people's opinions (that's what voting is). It just shows a large sample size of opinions.

Well, yes. Facts that are aggregate opinions. >:D

@D14180, I remember reading about it in a dev blog posted in the C&C site (during C&C3's development) and in a dev podcast (same time). I remember saving the podcast; I'll try to dig it up then post it later. Well, not all units were throwbacks to TD, but the Mammoth Tank and Flame Tank are good examples of that throwback. Although in my personal opinion, the TS Mammie was just the best. The Flame Tank, well, I hated the shoebox of death design, but neither did it mean I hated it's burrowing ability; I remember being happy about the redesign in C&C3, but frustrated with the lack of flexibility in it's usage.

Well, if you want to believe that ok, I actually dont find C&C3 that cartoonish, neither many people outhere, a bit over the top maybe, but most of their stuff feel pausible, perhaps Sonic could actually run a poll to see what people thinks, I mean, a personal opinion can weight more than a million when it's a mather of facts, but when it's about tastes and perceptions, well, that's another tale.

While an opinion can be relative, a proportion of opinions over a relative subject is a fact, may be awful, just like when your favourite candidate is not chosen in your country elections, but is a fact after all.

Well, Nash, you are correct. I also don't see C&C3 being cartoonish, only RA3 is. I don't like how many of the structures and units look, and it's even worse when my favorite Soviets turned from brute force into clowns. Hammer Tank? LAME, I prefer my old Rhino. The RA3 Apoc tank, not very scary! RA2 Apoc tank, now that is a big ass scary tank! Even so, I never like the RA3 MiG, I prefer the YR version.

Edited by Silverthorn