Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Addressing the Generals 2 Rumours

In the past week or so, some Generals 2 rumours have surfaced. They appeared to have come from the team at United-Forum, a large German C&C fan site. I've even been sent a couple of messages and some e-mails asking why this news hasn't appeared on CNCNZ.com. I'll explain why. But first, let's back track just a little. Based on a news item at GameInformer that teases the December announcement of BioWare's new franchise and shows the screenshot seen below, United-Forum strongly believe that this is possibly the next Command & Conquer game, and they think it could be Generals 2.

So why hasn't this news appeared on CNCNZ.com? Simple, because it's not credible enough, it's a rumour and a very weak one at that. Yes, BioWare is another EA developer, but they are not developing the next C&C, and why would EA go to great lengths to create Victory Games, hire Jon Van Caneghem, establish a new team, only to have BioWare make the next C&C? Does that screenshot above really look a C&C or Generals game to you? Oh, and another thing, BioWare don't make RTS games. Victory Games is EA's development studio for C&C and RTS games.

No disrespect to our friends at United-Forum, so I'll say what I posted on our Facebook page last week, I feel this a case of clutching at straws here. We all want news on the next C&C game, but making stuff up is not the way to get it. All we do about the next C&C is there is a Command & Conquer PC game in development. No other official details are available yet. Confirmed in this post on the Official C&C Facebook page.

Guest Stevie_K

You said it Sonic. Myth Busted ;)

We all want news on the next C&C game, but making stuff up is not the way to get it

Says the person who featured the imaginatory "C&C Future Wars" on CNCNZ a year back ;)

Bioware could be making an C&C RPG! :o Well, action game, they don't make RPGs any more. :P

Sure they do. ME, Dragon Age and SW:TOR are all RPGs, although it is true that action elements have been introduced. Anyway, I wholeheartedly agree that this rumor was obviously false, but did anyone seriously believe it? I don't speak German so I haven't checked their site but on the official forums no one really took it seriously...

United-Forum isn't the only german fan site trying to write a hypothetical Generals 2 into being. Instead of just posting the rare facts they behave like the yellow press, even inciting the readers to participate to spread rumors and to wildly speculate about how random stuff fits into their picture. Every rumor is treated as fact and reasonable counter-arguments are ignored. And apparently many of the fans are smarter than the actual developers, because they "know" what tools EA better use to create the next game, even without knowing what EA is planning at the moment and what the requirements are. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Strange rumour indeed when it's clearly MINESWEEPER.

:)

Anyway I've said it before many times, EA is not known by subtley from the marketing department.

I highly doubt that Bioware would make a C&C game no matter if it's a FPS or a RTS. There's no way I would think that Bioware could be going for a RTS/FPS hybrid sort of game. Relic did a RTS with first-person cinematics to Company of Heroes and so far lately no other developer has done something like that.

Lame. I wanted a Generals sequel. It had some potential. Just give us a good single player and keep the MP similar to ZH and it'll be fine.

I don't care what the next C&C is, I just want a fresh a start for the franchise overall. But the point I was trying to make is I'm certain the next C&C not coming from BioWare. If the team at Victory Games is working on Generals 2 then so be it.

Considering Victory Games is a new studio they might be changing the name to bring it under the Bioware brand before release. Bioware isn't just the old stupid who made KOTOR/Mass Effect 1, it's now several teams as well as several studios. I could see EA rebranding victory games early (because they have a title to thier name)

This could be it.

Interesting... "a new BioWare studio"... This sounds weird.

Also, the tank seems familiar...

post-6729-0-21108600-1321987059_thumb.jpg

I don't think the new Bioware studio is in EALA, it's in the same place.

So now I am betting that the new CNC game may be developed by more than one studio. It could be Victory Games and Bioware. Who knows if David Silverman could be in it again?

Ok so its an RTS, but doesn't mean its a C&C game. With games like Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 it seems logical for someone else to cash in on the modern warfare trend and make an RTS game based on one doesn't it.

Enjoy your 3 seconds of not-Generals 2...

Hey I could be wrong, this could all be true.... but deep down you all know it can be.

Doesn't take much to convince the German fan sites, all they need is 3 seconds of some mystery footage and its officially Generals 2 :rolleyes:

http://www.united-fo...rals-2-364.html

http://www.cncsaga.d...entdeckt-nid150

While the connection to Generals2 seems debatable and premature, it is extremely likely that this is the next C&C. BW is officially not someone else but part of the same publishing and development house, so they are already cashing in with C&C and another title within the same genre offering a setting and gameplay likely to attract much of the fanbase would mostly just split the consumer base, not extent it.

I can't believe Bioware is making an RTS...

Its just sooo... WRONG.

But I might be pleasantly surprised. :P

Keep in mind that Bioware is just a label now, not the actual development team the brand stood for in the past. Whether this is a good or bad thing, we'll have to see...