Orange

Editing already modified TS with TibEd

Hi, I would like to ask how you edit an already modified TS (and RA2 YR) using TibEd. I am working on Sub Mods on the base of the Retro mod and thats what i tried out so far.

- Selected TS FS english in TibEd launcher, worked for the cameos but all other Retro content is not showing.

- used the "Import" feature. leads to crash and/or runtime errors depending on what you import.

I am using the free TS which can be downloaded, I own both TFD and Tiberian Sun so i could change over to one of them if it helps. While i prefer the Retro mod as base i would switch to an other TibEd compatible mod if needed. If it has any influence i am using a 64-bit win7 but i could change to another pc using xp.

I plan to create Sub mods for modded RA2 YR as well, info on how to edit that using TibEd is very appreciated.

thank you in advance and a big thank you for TibEd, a very helpful and accessible tool.

Orange

Take an XCC Mixer tutorial instead, as all mods for TS and RA2/YR are made with in part (like, 95%) or entirely.

I'm not sure it is possible to do what you want. TibEd was made to edit units, not edit mods that were not made with TibEd.

While TibEd makes modding extremely user friendly, it also limits your possibilities. This is why most (if not all) skilled modders do not use TibEd at all, and you may have a difficult time reverse engineering a mod using a limited editor.

TibEd is essentially training wheels, and if you want to start doing stunts, you will have to take the training wheels off.

TibEd can only load independent INIs and .TIB files. And I highly doubt that any mod that's publicly available ever used TibEd (no offense, Koen)

I see, I will move over to the good old tiberian sun then. I am still interested into mods compatible with TibEd, couldn't spot any so far tough. Same with ways to edit mods with TibEd, maybe there is someone knowing something.

The changes i want to make are quite minor, TibEd is able to do them, would have been nice to have the Retro or some mod content too.

@Plokite_Wolf The mods i am working on will go public using TibEd ^_^. Thanks for the advice but I'm unskilled so XCC Mixer isn't an option for me.

tibed can load INIs can it also save the changes as an INI? then how about including afterwards some retro units with xcc mixer?

look, xcc mixer is a lot more time consuming and complicated for me, this may not be the case for experienced people but for me it is. neither will I Invest a lot of time into learning how to use other tools for such trivial creations for a small mod for a fairly dead game.

I noticed the "Import XIF unit... (created with xcc mixer)" button, is it of any use?

XCC is just as fast as TibEd. Open Mixer, locate desired MIX file, extract files, edit as necessary, save, put into a MIX file, put new MIX in the \TS\ directory. Done and done. Faster, easier and no hassle.

Well, people these days hardly know what a file system is -_-

In summation, Orange, you cannot do what you want to do with TibEd, the editor is just not capable of it.

XCC Utilities are not as fancy or user friendly, so they look complicated, but there are several modders here that would help you understand how to use it if you would just be willing to try.

Its alright, I understood, you can now proceed with this thread as you want.