Plok

Croatian localisation of C&C 95

I uploaded a version of the pack without the blank icons.

Blank icons, you say? Where can I find them independently? Might use them in my own translation someday.

Blank icons, you say? Where can I find them independently? Might use them in my own translation someday.

Everything for your translation needs, from editors to source files to installer script, and including a complete guide:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/cc95p106/language/

(the only thing not in there is a working font editor, since the one I have is an internal version I got through some friends, and I don't have permission to release it publicly :( )

The files you want are either blank_icons.rar or blank_icons_mix.rar.

blank_icons.rar has all blank icons as pcx; the 'icnt' ones in temperate/winter/snow palette, the 'icnd' ones in desert palette.

blank_icons_mix.rar has them all as fully made ????icnh.mix, so they're handy if you just want your language pack to not have English text on the icons, but can't be bothered actually remaking all the icons in your translated language. All you need to do is rename them to your language icons mixfile prefix (typically ????iXXX.mix, with XXX the language code)

Thanks a lot! What about the Siberian Font Editor demo?

Thanks a lot! What about the Siberian Font Editor demo?

It's missing its "save" function -_-

If you tell me which DOS text encoding to implement into the C&C fonts though, I can do that. A good tool to check such things is Editpad Pro. It has an amazingly good "convert text encoding" function which lets you select from a list of, well, pretty much all encodings ever made I think :P

Khm, don't know which DOS code uses our letters (č, ć, đ, š, ž). :scared: Maybe some CROSCII or even YUASCII equivalent?

According to Editpad Pro 7, no DOS code uses them. We weren't quite known at the time :P

Khm, don't know which DOS code uses our letters (č, ć, đ, š, ž). :scared: Maybe some CROSCII or even YUASCII equivalent?

According to Editpad Pro 7, no DOS code uses them. We weren't quite known at the time :P

The problem with that is mainly that there won't be an easy quick way to convert them from UTF-8 to C&C-usable format -_-

Maybe one of the Windows encodings has it though; I think those are 8-bit (one byte per character) too, so I should be able to use them in C&C. I think SiberianGRemlin used Windows Cyrillic encoding for his translation (never got released as language pack due to him mysteriously disappearing. His last post on PPM was in May 2009, and I think his email changed).

Maybe one of the Windows encodings has it though; I think those are 8-bit (one byte per character) too, so I should be able to use them in C&C. I think SiberianGRemlin used Windows Cyrillic encoding for his translation (never got released as language pack due to him mysteriously disappearing. His last post on PPM was in May 2009, and I think his email changed).

Cyrillic letters disappeared completely from Croatia in 1991 :rolleyes:

Sorry, my mistake. They do appear in DOS 852: Central European, but on different places than in Windows 1250. Search for č, ć, đ, š and ž.

Maybe we should split this to "Croatian localisation of C&C 95", I feel like a fifth wheel here.

Um, I was just using the Cyrillic as an example that the Windows encodings could also be used. His pack is Russian <_<

Anyway, I split the topic.

[edit]

Wait, everything you need is in the same font I'm already editing for the Polish pack? lol, okay, that'll be easy then.

Mind you, I only implemented the characters that Polish actually uses. But if DOS-852 indeed contains everything you need, then completing it won't be much of a problem.

Again though, not sure I can be bothered to implement the full set of, um, 56 changed characters (compared to the US DOS-437), so if Croatian only uses about a dozen of them, please tell me which ones you need so I can just implement those.

By the way, in the translation folder there's a file called "ascii_pure.txt". It has the entire range of 128 special characters C&C can use. Converting it to any DOS encoding in Editpad Pro will show you all special characters in that encoding.

Wait, everything you need is in the same font I'm already editing for the Polish pack? lol, okay, that'll be easy then.

You sure? We share only ć.

Mind you, I only implemented the characters that Polish actually uses. But if DOS-852 indeed contains everything you need, then completing it won't be much of a problem.

I suppose. But converting from Windows 1250 to DOS-852 isn't very regular.

Again though, not sure I can be bothered to implement the full set of, um, 56 changed characters (compared to the US DOS-437), so if Croatian only uses about a dozen of them, please tell me which ones you need so I can just implement those.

Um... We only have those five additional letters (make that 10, capital and small). We don't have the likes of w,y,q, but they're needed for the soundtrack list. Just exclude the letters C&C doesn't use if need be.

By the way, in the translation folder there's a file called "ascii_pure.txt". It has the entire range of 128 special characters C&C can use. Converting it to any DOS encoding in Editpad Pro will show you all special characters in that encoding.

I'll look into it.

You sure? We share only ć.

I'm sure DOS-852 is the encoding I'm using for Polish. Open the text file I linked to and view it in DOS-852. You'll see the special characters are all in there.

I suppose. But converting from Windows 1250 to DOS-852 isn't very regular.

Eh? Would you be converting from Windows 1250? Does that even contain all your special characters?

Anyway, conversion between charsets is a one-click action with Editpad Pro. You just go to the Convert Text Encoding and change the radio button to "encode with another character set". So if you get me the text and briefings in UTF-8, I can do that easily.

Um... We only have those five additional letters (make that 10, capital and small). We don't have the likes of w,y,q, but they're needed for the soundtrack list. Just exclude the letters C&C doesn't use if need be.

No need for that. Again, look at that character set text file. ALL special characters are in the +128 range, behind the normal latin alphabet. All DOS encodings contain the normal alphabet; that's the standard 7-bit ASCII charset.

I don't just choose where I put in the new letters in the C&C font, you know; I put them on the same indexes they are on in the DOS-852 encoding, using that character set text file as guide (since it shows them in the exact correct order). I could put them wherever I want, of course, but then I'd also have to manually make sure any text is converted to use the characters of those indexes for all special characters. It's simply much easier to conform to the same DOS-852 encoding in both the C&C font and in the text, since then I can convert any valid Croatian text in UTF-8 (or any other encoding) to valid ingame usable text simply by converting it to DOS-852 encoding in Editpad Pro.

Eh? Would you be converting from Windows 1250? Does that even contain all your special characters?

Anyway, conversion between charsets is a one-click action with Editpad Pro. You just go to the Convert Text Encoding and change the radio button to "encode with another character set". So if you get me the text and briefings in UTF-8, I can do that easily.

The issue is that if I test the letters in Windows 1250, I get "čćđšž". I click on Convert -> Text Encoding. I choose DOS-852 and get "ŔŠ­Ü×". The opposite command does "ź†Đç§". :wacko:

I'll possibly be done with the ingame strings within this week (are Modem mode strings even necessary???) and with briefings before Christmas. Might also do those icons...

Simply reading the options there should be a big help. There is a radio button choice on that conversion window that lets you choose between showing text according to a certain text encoding, or actually converting the text to a new encoding. The first one doesn't change the file, the second does.

If you have text in Windows encoding, and you want to convert it to DOS encoding, you check the option to actually convert. If you open a file you converted in DOS text encoding, but it shows it wrong because by default you view it as Windows encoding, you use the other option to simply view the text in the encoding it was convertmeant to be viewed in.

Files are just bytes, you know. The encoding is what determines what character each byte should be.

Good, it's working now.

Now, how do I send the strings when I'm done? Conquer.eng without diacritics and notes where do they go when you're done with fonts, or do I put them now?

Just send it as text, in utf-8 or DOS-852 (doesn't really matter, I have to set the text encoding in editpad pro every time I open it anyway; might as well convert it the first time), with the # as newline characters like they are in conquer.txt in the cc95p106/language folder. I'll then use Ingame Strings Editor to convert the DOS-852 text to C&C strings file, and search through it with the string editor to replace all # by newlines.

Since the string editor can't show the correct special characters, it's easier to just edit the text file, and convert it every time.

It'll take a bit longer this way... Oh well.

Don't be worried. I passed with all this trough when i was doing the Portuguese Language pack. Nyerguds was just crazy with those á à ú õ ã and those things :P

In the beggining, before Nyerguds tells me about the EditPad, guess what i was doing? Translating the Briefings with MS-DOS edit tool using codepage 860. Thank god he told me about the EditPad. Think about that blue-screen with white fonts showing :P

It's impressive how people of CNC community dissapears... FIrst VK, then Siberian... There are someone else that i'm missing? There are any know reasons why they dissapears? deads maybe? ( i mean, really dead) :P

Siberian_GRemlin still posted on his website in October... but he seems totally inactive in the actual community.

[edit]

GAH! I accidentally middle-mouse click on that stupid delete link that only shows up when you hover over it, and your post is gone.

(Is a confirmation PAGE that much to ask, Sonic? Between stuff like that, and the fact you got no markup (or even smiley) adding buttons in bbcode view, I seriously hate this updated forum X_x)

alo plokite!

Znači HR prijevod stiže...

Šta je slijedeće, kandidatura za gradonačelnika :D

Svaka čast majstore! jedva čekam...

Pozdrav iz Joker centra.

Umalo zaboravi jebemu... kako napreduješ? kada izlazi?

Umalo zaboravi jebemu... kako napreduješ? kada izlazi?

Majku mu, Croatian invasion on these forums B)

The first release will hopefully come before Christmas.

Pozdrav iz Joker centra.

Neki novootvoreni internet-café? Nisam dugo bio u Jokeru.... :P

I won't be able to finish the font this week, anyway. This is Deadline Week From Hell at my job. Sorry about that, guys, but I'm busting my ass off even here at home to get this project done, and I'm constantly horribly tired -_-

'kay, no problem ;)

I went ahead and put all of the characters in, so I got the DOS-852 font completely. This will probably be a lot more than you need, but eh, with Croatian and Polish, who knows what's next? :P

áâäąăćçčđďéëęěíîĺľłńňóôöőŕřśşšťţúüűůýźžż

Still 3 fonts to go though :P

Good. I'll try to hurry ;)

No need for that; I've only done the rough draft; making sure all the new character spots have an actual open space in them (unused ones are set to 0x0), and drawing a rough version in there so I don't have to look up what to put there anymore. Next step will be drawing the real font letters, and making their shadow outlines.

And then remaking it all in 3 other fonts. Two of those are exactly the same basic letters though, just with different border / colour fade effects :)

[edit]

Final draft of all letters is done (in 1 font). Now, the real tedious work... the shadow effects -_-

I finally got off my arse and finished all fonts. Anything you can convert to DOS-852 can be shown ingame :)

Now to get my arse back in the project -_-