Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

New Article: Hate EA and C&C?

Ever since the announcements of Command & Conquer: Generals 2 and Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances there has been more hate towards EA and the Command & Conquer franchise. Well, more than usual anyway. @Alex06, who has recently been added to the CNCNZ.com team, has written a lengthy article to address all of this hatred the fans seem to have because it's probably mostly due to confusion, misinformation or a general lack of understanding. Here's a part of the article.

In the case of BioWare Victory, it is not the BioWare we all know and love, AKA BioWare Edmonton, nor the developer of The Old Republic, AKA BioWare Austin. BioWare is a brand now, and the "BioWare" you're referring to is a BioWare studio in Edmonton that makes Dragon Age & Mass Effect. They also made Baldur's Gate and all those classic BioWare titles we all know and love. The BioWare brand is owned by Dr. Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk. These guys make sure the games offer the kind of quality BioWare is known for, as a brand, that storyline/campaign is always given some justice and respect in BioWare games, and that it is a quality experience in all areas.

I highly suggest doing some research before making such accusations as “This is not a BioWare game. BioWare is failing thanks to EA now.”, “Bring back Westwood!”, “Why are we getting this crap instead of a real C&C?”, “EA is messing with C&C again and trying to cash in with Tiberium Alliances, the next Tiberium game.” or “EA is destroying C&C.”

This is an article that should be read by all Command & Conquer fans. Click here to read it. It has also been posted in our Generals 2 forum, as well as the Official C&C Forums.

Guest Stevie_K

Apart from the intentions ,this article is exceptionally bad, and feels like a declaration of love.

Most importantly: be objective and never speak on behalf of others. References to the sources of information is also critical in an article that tries to communicate facts of any kind.

Apart from the intentions ,this article is exceptionally bad, and feels like a declaration of love. Most importantly: be objective and never speak on behalf of others. References to the sources of information is also critical in an article that tries to communicate facts of any kind.

Did you even read the article? Cause I have no idea what you're ****in' talking about.

• Upvote 2

Apart from the intentions ,this article is exceptionally bad, and feels like a declaration of love.

Most importantly: be objective and never speak on behalf of others. References to the sources of information is also critical in an article that tries to communicate facts of any kind.

I can see why you're saying that. I kind of agree, it could be better, but I can't find most of the sources anymore (I already provided some links, as you can see), and this was never really intended as an article originally, much less something that is official and meant for the newspaper. Sonic considered it good enough to post it as an article. Most CNCNZ articles are similar in vein, you should read them. Plus, opinion pieces also exist, not just objective articles. I still find it's MUCH better and has more legitimacy than what all the unwarranted EA haters have been posting.

And no, I don't "love" EA or C&C. I enjoy C&C games, but I have no specific infatuation or obsession for EA or anything, so I don't know why you say that. If I did, I probably would never say anything that may seem negative about EA for C&C4. I'm just trying to present a different view on EA, one that isn't so blinded by all the EA hate. Ultimately, what EA did was reasoned. Sometimes it may be hard to accept, but even the most horrendous people can have a good reason for what they're doing. You might not agree with it nor particularly like it, but there's a good reason behind everything. Even those who are insane have their reasons. (mostly out of their control, but still)

• Upvote 3

Guest Stevie_K

Did you even read the article? Cause I have no idea what you're ****in' talking about.

Yes. I'm not surprised, and I don't blame you ;)

I can see why you're saying that. I kind of agree, it could be better, but I can't find most of the sources anymore (I already provided some links, as you can see), and this was never really intended as an article originally, much less something that is official and meant for the newspaper. Sonic considered it good enough to post it as an article. Most CNCNZ articles are similar in vein, you should read them. Plus, opinion pieces also exist, not just objective articles. I still find it's MUCH better and has more legitimacy than what all the unwarranted EA haters have been posting.

Perhaps "blog posts" would be a better term to use for your writings?

I never said that "unwarranted EA haters" ' posts are better than yours? In fact I usually ignore that ****.

And no, I don't "love" EA or C&C. I enjoy C&C games, but I have no specific infatuation or obsession for EA or anything, so I don't know why you say that.

Never said that either. I said that it feels like a declaration of love.

Maybe that's a bit over the top, but by that I mean, that what you've written, seems to me to be taking sides. Keep in mind that I'm not disagreeing with what you've written. I'm just pointing it out.

If I did, I probably would never say anything that may seem negative about EA for C&C4. I'm just trying to present a different,view on EA, one that isn't so blinded by all the EA hate. Ultimately, what EA did was reasoned. Sometimes it may be hard to accept, but even the most horrendous people can have a good reason for what they're doing. You might not agree with it nor particularly like it, but there's a good reason behind everything. Even those who are insane have their reasons. (mostly out of their control, but still)

I agree with what you've written in your "article", but it doesn't change the fact that one shouldn't use ex. "as we all love" in an article.

Believe me, I also hate when people are whining about the present and past of the franchise, but the only thing that I find worse is people whining over people whining ;) Let it go man.

I'm just giving critique here.

My advice: Keep up the work, but don't call it an article if it doesn't comply with the basic rules of one. Call it a blog post instead.

Sonic considered it good enough to post it as an article. Most CNCNZ articles are similar in vein, you should read them. Plus, opinion pieces also exist, not just objective articles. I still find it's MUCH better and has more legitimacy than what all the unwarranted EA haters have been posting.

We shouldn't compare this article/blog to all the past articles archived in that section.

All of the articles, past and present are the views and opinions of the author, they do not reflect the official view of CNCNZ.com, unless otherwise stated. There is a disclaimer on the main article index about this.

The articles section is something we have been trying re-establish and kick start again. Its meant to cover a large range of subjects.

• Upvote 1

i think an article (or more official opinion) like that, with the conclusions that it had in the end, should be better posted AFTER Generals 2 release and IF Generals 2 had a very good acceptance by the series fans and rts gamers in general.

by coming to conclusions or even assumptions, without playing the entire game but from only one 20sec trailer...its at least.....risky!

i totally understand your way of thinking and how you want to believe and hope for the better, and also explain that mistakes where done from all sides in the past, westwood, ea, eala, etc, and i personally agree on that. but up to this point. not the "conclusion" paragraphs.

Edited by Johnnyxp64
  • Downvote 1

I don't see what all the hate is for?

Generals 2, using Frostbite 2, under one of the greatest studio brands to be established in this industry? What's there to hate? Sure it's not Edmonton, but Bioware as a whole are not going to make something that's a whole load of crap. That would just be suicidal for a division of the company which has other super high quality titles under its belt.

Sure, what we've seen so far is basically only a source mod for Battlefield 3 (Due to placeholder textures, buildings and burning tank animations). But Generals was a bloody good game, and I for one am happy to see it a part of the franchise.

The only thing that concerns me at this point is Origin integration. From seeing Battlefield 3 basically (and sloppily) using a web-browser interface as a menu system, the software aspect of it is rather poor... Hopefully in another 18 months when this game is finally released, it'll all be packed neatly and integrated into all EA Games.

Hopefully by then as well Linux will be able to run Origin based games, so I don't have to install Windows for the sake of only playing this "PC exclusive"... which is a lie, because it's "Windows Exclusive"... Games developers, and the industry as a whole miss out on a potential of upto 19 million end users by not having their games run on a Linux system... That's a lot of missed revenue!

I don't see what all the hate is for?

Generals 2, using Frostbite 2, under one of the greatest studio brands to be established in this industry? What's there to hate? Sure it's not Edmonton, but Bioware as a whole are not going to make something that's a whole load of crap. That would just be suicidal for a division of the company which has other super high quality titles under its belt.

Sure, what we've seen so far is basically only a source mod for Battlefield 3 (Due to placeholder textures, buildings and burning tank animations). But Generals was a bloody good game, and I for one am happy to see it a part of the franchise.

The only thing that concerns me at this point is Origin integration. From seeing Battlefield 3 basically (and sloppily) using a web-browser interface as a menu system, the software aspect of it is rather poor... Hopefully in another 18 months when this game is finally released, it'll all be packed neatly and integrated into all EA Games.

Hopefully by then as well Linux will be able to run Origin based games, so I don't have to install Windows for the sake of only playing this "PC exclusive"... which is a lie, because it's "Windows Exclusive"... Games developers, and the industry as a whole miss out on a potential of upto 19 million end users by not having their games run on a Linux system... That's a lot of missed revenue!

To be honest, I'd rather have Generals 2 not require an online connection to play, and thus, not require Origin to install and run. I also don't want a BattleLog like BF3 had. Especially if I buy a boxed copy of the game.

by coming to conclusions or even assumptions, without playing the entire game

Isn't that just what people did with C&C 4 as soon as they heard "crawler" though?

Edited by SighNapse
  • Upvote 1

No, I don't think so.

Everyone knew what the Crawlers were and what they represented from even before the announcement of C&C4, EA never hid their purpose. Despite that, I think the community was relatively optimistic at first, albeit with a bit of reserved apprehension. As more information came out, that optimism rapidly faded. Even so, there were C&C fans heralding progression and change all the way up until they actually played C&C4.

It is difficult to imagine a time before C&C was widely regarded as an abomination, but the evidence lies in its very name; the fans had it named Tiberian Twilight in remembrance of Westwood.

Isn't that just what people did with C&C 4 as soon as they heard "crawler" though?

well that was indeed and a failure, i said that ea is a damn publisher, and wants like all to make money no matter the cost!

i share the hopes and confident for bioware-victory, but as long EA "cuts the cheques, and pays the bills", i am always afraid...ok maybe worry...!

if they pull this off, and then make a super success release in the other cnc universestoo, Then and only Then the developing team will have the "balls" to go against the publisher's "rush milking wishes", something like Bluzzard vs Activition.

hope this is the new dream team. :D

that will resurect the entire fransize slowly and stady.

Edited by Johnnyxp64
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

well that was indeed and a failure

Says you, I quite liked CNC4. And the blog was pretty good and true.

• Upvote 1

Says pretty much everyone. I don't know why, but I feel more and more inclined to try it for the sake of knowing what's the game like so I can talk about it from firsthand experience. :P

Yes. I'm not surprised, and I don't blame you ;)

I don't see what you're talking about. It has an air of those "state of the community" articles we had years ago. An article is often an opinion-based work... much like this one so I don't want to hear it.

• Downvote 1

oh btw, guys we are the ones that can make the difference, if Generals 2 is indeed a very nice game, then stop looking for pirated version god damn it and BUY IT!

wanna try it first? ok, i will give you that, try it, but then buy it! after all when a game is cool, i love buying the hard copy, and keep it in my collection, i only open it once to make a hard disk image copy, then put it back in its box!

or sometimes like i did with blizzard games, i buy them more than once! 1digital, and i hard copy, and possible if availabale 1 collector's edition!

why? because they diserve to get my money, because i love the job they did in the game (sure i cant love everything but) and myself is a Software Engineer, i want those guys to have a salary and next year, and i want them to make me more games like that!

thats just a small reminder.

wanna try it first? ok, i will give you that, try it, but then buy it!

Wait, so you are advocating "try before you buy" piracy?

Uh, no, piracy is piracy. You want to try it first, go play on a friend's copy.

Don't have a friend, then wait for the game to get cheaper until you can afford the risk. Impatience is no excuse to steal a game.

Guest Stevie_K

I don't see what you're talking about. It has an air of those "state of the community" articles we had years ago. An article is often an opinion-based work... much like this one so I don't want to hear it.

Those are much closer to being blog posts than articles as well.

Wait, so you are advocating "try before you buy" piracy?

Uh, no, piracy is piracy. You want to try it first, go play on a friend's copy.

Don't have a friend, then wait for the game to get cheaper until you can afford the risk. Impatience is no excuse to steal a game.

actually you can try if a DEMO or beta is out doesnt have to be a piracy! and i do not say (so dont put word on my mouth i didnt say plz) that i "excuse" piracy for a tray out and never buy it!

i can excuse it for a very sort period of time, i even forgive it if you do actually buy the game at the end.

as long as you have paid you can do what ever you want, who cares,

piracy after all its always one version behind trying to catch up the retail ;-)

so just for that i do not recommend it! and dont forget you cant play online if there is no LAN support.*

because not everyone can afford to pay for a game that they will not like and then just leave it in the corner.

*now this brings us to a more serious question that the Generals 2 FAQ Should answer: will there be a LAN support!!!!???? like old good times and not online always crap?

Edited by Johnnyxp64

because not everyone can afford to pay for a game that they will not like and then just leave it in the corner.

I stress this too.

But this is not a topic for piracy discussions. Please stick to Alex06's article.

Yeah, that would work in the real world, go to your game shop and steal a copy of the game and then tell the police you fully intended to pay for it eventually, you just wanted to try it out first.

That is ridiculous.

Plokite_Wolf is right however, concerning board rules. We have had our say on the matter, and now it must be dropped.

I stress this too.

But this is not a topic for piracy discussions. Please stick to Alex06's article.

I've had a lengthy discussion about this with someone the other day, with suggestions on how that can be fixed. Blizzard has a good model for fighting piracy, without causing issues for those who want to try games and what not.

I think I know what my next article's going to be about.

Anyway, back to this discussion.