Sonic

Tiberian Sun: Reborn Interview with BlueHell Productions

Recently, CNCNZ.com spoke with Chronojam and Wallywood from the Bluehell Productions team in regards to the acquisition of Tiberian Sun: Reborn under the Bluehell Productions name. We also asked them several other questions about their work in general. Here's part of the interview.

LsVd6.jpg

Who's idea was the merger?
We both independently came up with the idea around April. Chronojam noticed that Reborn wasn't really moving anywhere, checking in on forums on a regular basis and such. It turns out Wallywood was talking to others and had the idea himself, so when he approached CJ about it, CJ sort of took off with the idea. They'd always wanted to sort of work in the Tiberian sun era, but being based in the Red Alert universe, they couldn't really do much.

Wallywood: Chronojam approached the guys from Reborn and offered the idea of working together, and the first public proposal was in May of 2011.

How hard was the negotiations for the merger?
At first, Darkangel and Renardin seemed to be on board, but when it was brought to most of the staff, most of them had some major concerns in terms of the management. Initially, the negotiation actually failed because of some mis-communications, and the fact that the Bluehell Team wanted to make sure that APB 2.1 was released first.

Check out the full interview by clicking here.

Chronojam: We both independently came up with the idea around April. Chronojam noticed that Reborn wasn't really moving anywhere, checking in on forums on a regular basis and such. It turns out Wallywood was talking to others and had the idea himself, so when he approached CJ about it, CJ sort of took off with the idea. They'd always wanted to sort of work in the Tiberian sun era, but being based in the Red Alert universe, they couldn't really do much.

Speaking of himself in 3rd person? lol

Also, there are some grammar and coding errors, but seems like an intriguing interview. Will read more later.

Chronojam: We basically spend a lot of time playing what we make.

Quote of the year.

• Upvote 1

Lol, were they able to finish this interview with a straight face?

Guest Rabbit

Not really. We had a few good laughs, many jokes were had about vanilla Renegade and general bugginess.

Huh? Renegade with 4.0 is less buggy than Battlefield 3. APB on the other hand is *REALLY* buggy and has like 6 players online on average on a good day lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

and has like 6 players online on average on a good day lol.

And I'm Joe Kucan. At evenings in Europe, there's always 8 to 14.

Guest Stevie_K

:facepalm:

. Anyway... Good interview.

0 at the moment.

Huh? Renegade with 4.0 is less buggy than Battlefield 3. APB on the other hand is *REALLY* buggy and has like 6 players online on average on a good day lol.

It's funny how things that have have incredibly few "new" changes and literally years of pure fixes contrast with things that have been undergoing near constant feature inclusion, isn't it? It's further fascinating how you can rail against these REALLY buggy things when the whopping majority of the bugs are the direct result of code commission by the very programmers working on the pure-fixes for that other thing over there; or do you deny any of that at all? I'm sure you'd be posting all of this on the BHP forums if you weren't currently under full moderation for being a ****, and it's probably part of the reason you're being pissy offsite now.

I haven't seen a single week in the past five years that we've had less than 300 players come through the server though, although my data-backed assertion surely pales in comparison to your anecdotes. Then again, you claim you prefer 6 player matches anyhow, so I'm not sure why you'd begin to complain about seeing 6 players-- unless, as speculated, you're just a ****.

I think you're just a ****.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Wow...Crazy how all the haters come out of the wood work and begain thrash talking because they are upset about personal issues involving themselves and BHP. What does any of this have to do with the interview?

I'd also like to add.... Zee, it was a great honor to be interviewed by you for CNCNZ and I'd love to do it again sometime. :)

Edited by Wallywood
  • Downvote 2

We are always happy to do interviews and features on all of BHP's projects ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's funny how things that have have incredibly few "new" changes and literally years of pure fixes contrast with things that have been undergoing near constant feature inclusion, isn't it? It's further fascinating how you can rail against these REALLY buggy things when the whopping majority of the bugs are the direct result of code commission by the very programmers working on the pure-fixes for that other thing over there; or do you deny any of that at all? I'm sure you'd be posting all of this on the BHP forums if you weren't currently under full moderation for being a ****, and it's probably part of the reason you're being pissy offsite now.

I haven't seen a single week in the past five years that we've had less than 300 players come through the server though, although my data-backed assertion surely pales in comparison to your anecdotes. Then again, you claim you prefer 6 player matches anyhow, so I'm not sure why you'd begin to complain about seeing 6 players-- unless, as speculated, you're just a ****.

I think you're just a ****.

Take it easy dude. Yeah I like smaller APB matches as the game is so incredibly unbalanced at higher rates. On a good weekend day it'll have maybe 20 players for a few hours on, but other than that taking over the average on a week 6 players online on average is a very liberal guess. There's 4 players online right now.

I'm pretty sure if ACK was still involved in the mod it would have easily have more players now than Renegade has (Renegade has an average of 150 players online most of the time). Half the community prefers the older NW version of the game lol.

Maybe Reborn or AR (if they'll ever be released) won't be complete failures like A Path Beyond, but who knows. Only time will tell. :>

Edited by Iran
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Why don't you and ACK run a NW server then instead of espousing terrible opinions on this and every other C&C site? We posted instructions how to, and the downloads are still available, and you're so positive everybody wants it and clearly you want small rounds anyhow (which begs why you complain about it, again) so even if you underestimated player counts you'll still get that experience you're looking for.

I am encouraging you to be more than a mouthy mingebag. MP-Gaming might be willing to help, or ask around Renforums or n00bstories.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Why do BHP games generate more strangely heated discussions than all C&C mods ever created combined? You don't like it, just uninstall. It's free and you lost nothing. Don't spoil it for people who like it (and there are many)

I've begun playing APB with the NW release, and even though it did have more soul into it, 2.1.0 is still a really nice and fun experience.

I'm pretty sure if ACK was still involved in the mod it would have easily have more players now than Renegade has (Renegade has an average of 150 players online most of the time). Half the community prefers the older NW version of the game lol.

No offense to ACK but that is some strange logic.

Iran please watch what you say and post on our forums please. No one is liking your posts by voting them down already.

Why is BHP so offensive towards people that still care would be another good question. Seriously for someone like me who hasn't anything to do with Renegade anymore Chronojams posts here doesn't look like it's something I want to look into. Irans first comments were way less offensive than Chronojams.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Irans first comments were way less offensive than Chronojams.

Doesn't change the fact that they weren't argumented.

Guest Rabbit

Why is BHP so offensive towards people that still care would be another good question. Seriously for someone like me who hasn't anything to do with Renegade anymore Chronojams posts here doesn't look like it's something I want to look into. Irans first comments were way less offensive than Chronojams.

You have to realize that it started way earlier than this interview thread. It's just spilling over to our forums a bit.

However, with that said, while I respect everyone's right to an opinion, let's keep all the personal insults at bay, everyone. That includes everyone from both sides of the argument.

Take it easy dude. Yeah I like smaller APB matches as the game is so incredibly unbalanced at higher rates. On a good weekend day it'll have maybe 20 players for a few hours on, but other than that taking over the average on a week 6 players online on average is a very liberal guess. There's 4 players online right now.

This is a completely fair assessment. And since the months following Gamma's release, this is a pretty accurate player count. I kinda miss the first couple weeks of Gamma, when two servers were being used regularly. Though the high player counts did (and still do) highlight the balance issues.

• Upvote 1

Lets clear up a few things here. If ACK was still in charge of APB, Reborn and AR wouldn't have ever joined up with APB to become BHP and we wouldn't be getting as far as we have been with any of these projects. Also Sith and Iran you're also not taking alot of things into mind about the drop in player count, things like school, work, new games and just all around lack of interest. Gamma has been one of the greatest RC's in Renalert/APB history. Of course there are imbalances ...but thats what patches are for. I also truely don't think these remarks in this thread are about "game imbalances" as much as they are for people who have personal issues with BHP to take pot shots.

Edited by Wallywood
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Of course there are imbalances ...but thats what patches are for.

Patches like 2.1? Which took months longer to release than initially planned? And when finally released, shipped with major bugs from the final release candidate which were never even addressed? And also made the balance worse than what it was in 2.0? Oh, maybe you we're referring to another "hotfix" patch called 2.1.1, which has also taken months and has yet to be released.

The balance needs very simple changes to work. It's a shame that it takes months to release patches which do the opposite of what a patch should do. I've been saying this for a long time, you really should listen to the veteran players more. I really like APB but it's quite frustrating to see a dev team that can't get out of it's own way.

I also truely don't think these remarks in this thread are about "game imbalances" as much as they are for people who have personal issues with BHP to take pot shots.

If that's what you're worried about then why did CJ decide to rip into Iran?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is a completely fair assessment. And since the months following Gamma's release, this is a pretty accurate player count. I kinda miss the first couple weeks of Gamma, when two servers were being used regularly. Though the high player counts did (and still do) highlight the balance issues.

I miss the days pre-Gamma days when the main server for the mod could get 30-40 players easily and the balance was a lot better than with 2.0 or 2.1. Considering the low amount of active players people really don't seem to enjoy the game anymore, I've actually played a game half a year ago where people were discussing how much better everything was with NW and earlier versions of the game. Some of the players were wondering if BHP was ruining the game on purpose. I remember Pushwall being in-game when this conversation occurred.

Makes you wonder...

Oh and 2.1 also shipped with game-breaking bugs introduced by a last minute scripts 4.0 change they decided to include. In that scripts 4.0 version the anti-aliasing and anisopthric filtering were completely broken, it had lag issues and randomly when alt+tabbing the game was crash. Of course for the scripts 4.0 beta for Renegade for that version of scripts 4.0 the testers explicitly stated that these issues should be fixed (which they were) before the public release of that scripts 4.0 beta.

I don't see any of the people from the Reborn forums active anymore btw. What happened to Enduar?? And what's with the very negative attitude towards well thought out criticism and analysis?

Edited by Iran
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

There's a very valid point in this post which I suspect is going to be completely ignored in favor of personal attacks and "defend our mod's honor" posts.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Ah, glad you showed up Aircraftkiller. Iran wants to start a NW server with you. Let me know when you guys get it going and I can stick it in the news.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2