Sign in to follow this  
Stulex

Medieval RTS Games

Hey i was wondering , does anybody know any good RTS about Medieval times besides Stronghold and Total War?

I thought Age of Empires games were good.

Well, I suppose you could look into Empire Earth, which is pretty much of all time periods ;o

I thought Age of Empires games were good.

Age of Empires 2 is arguably the best medieval RTS game ever made (and one of the best RTS games in general).

Armies of Exigo is okay if you don't mind having some fantasy mixed in with your medieval. It's also basically a more realistic looking version of Warcraft III, or imagine StarCraft if it was in a fantasy setting. Pretty run-of-the-mill in terms of being an RTS game.

Edited by BigJoe

Besides the other good RTS titles, Dawn of War and Company of Heroes from Relic are also very good RTS games.

• Downvote 1

Besides the other good RTS titles, Dawn of War and Company of Heroes from Relic are also very good RTS games.

Those are not medieval themed RTS games.

Edited by BigJoe

Armies of Exigo.

That game was incredibly boring. I picked it up whilst I was in LA and whilst it looked good, the pacing was awfully slow the combat uninspiring and the campaign I can't even remember. What I do remember though was storming through it in no time and was left wondering why I bothered to finish it. Although it was probably just to justify spending money on it in the first place.

Anyway...

A good game I came across recently is Majesty 2 Collection. I picked it up cheap in the local gaming store and even though I wasn't expecting much, it has surprised me. It's a fantasy RTS where you build structures to create a city on each map. You then hire heroes from various structures to come to that city, and whilst you maintain and expand it, adding new technologies and upgrades, every unit you see goes about at its own free will. There's no dragging boxes and commanding here.

Instead you have to place attack and defend flags at certain points around the map or on enemy structures, and then place a bounty on that flag to try and tempt the heroes you hire into taking the job. The higher the price for the task, the more heroes that will take it on. There's no direct resource gathering either. Money is brought into your treasury from civilians who decide to live at your city as the tax man wanders from the houses they build, and through heroes spending their own cash at the Tavern, blacksmith etc.. So that's where the upgrades come in. If you create better armour, weapons, potions, spells etc. to put on sale, the more they'll spend.

You certainly need it, cos the game is quite a tough nut to crack come half way through the campaign. But I found it to be very fun overall... It's not everyone's cup of tea given you have limited control. But it does make you think differently about strategy, and that ticks a huge box in my book.

Hmm, that Majesty game sounds pretty fun to me...

• Upvote 1

It is... Here's a vid from half way through the campaign from one of the best online players. It's about 2 years old now. But in comparison to everyone else on Youtube, he knows this game inside out.

I reminded you about that game :P

Don't get complacent with the first 20 missions. The other 20 will make up for it. Not to mention the expansion pack.

EDIT: Wait a second. TA Kingdoms isn't medieval - it's pure fantasy!

I hear Total Annihilation: Kingdoms is pretty good. From what I saw my brother play, it was nice.

TA: Kingdoms gets a lot of hate but it's still a pretty good game and, as a fan of the original TA, I enjoyed it much.

Plus like Plokite said, it's nearly all fantasy. The setting is the only thing that "feels" medieval.

It's just Aramon and some elements of Veruna that feel medieval. Get the expansion and enjoy the steampunk that is Creon.

Didn't think someone else here liked it. Not that I mind ^_^