Sign in to follow this  
Plok

New Article: Connecting Red Alert and Tiberium Universes

It's been a while since we've brought you some reading material in our long-running Articles section. I have decided to wipe some dust off it with an article called Connecting Red Alert to Tiberium: Mission (Im)possible, inspired by Westwood's plans to fill in the gaps between the universes in the cancelled Renegade 2. Here's an excerpt:

Both Nod and the Soviets attempted to gain supremacy in the world in the shadows, as we have seen in Romanov's attempts to spread communism to his neighbourhood and Kane's actions in Eastern Europe. If that failed, they launched invasions. On the other hand, GDI and the Allies propagate their own politics through peace and, of course, technological advantages in terms of sophisticated armaments.

Click here to read the full article. You can also visit the Articles section to see all past works from our contributors.
  • Upvote 2

If I remember correctly: According to what Adam Isgreen told people on the Petroglyph forums this was one of the ideas Westwood had to connect the RA and Tiberium Universes:

Original Idea: Red Alert (Allied Victory) -> Tiberian Dawn -> Tiberian Sun -> Tiberian Incursion (WIP title for C&C3)

Idea with RA2: Red Alert (Allied Victory) -> Tiberian Dawn -> Tiberian Sun -> Tiberian Incursion -> Red Alert 2

You might be asking yourself "How does RA2 happen after C&C3?". One of the ideas was that GDI would uncover a locked away chronosphere in a abandoned secret military base which would spark a battle to control this area. During the fighting a certain Nod "Physiological warfare" operative accidentally manages to send himself back in time thus creating the RA2 timeline.

Just in case you wanted to hear the Westwood brainstorming ideas for C&C.

RA2 occured in the 1970s according to the last Allied cutscene (a magazine cover), while TD is 1995 onwards. I also noticed that people working on TibIncursion confused their own work for Generals (even Phil Robb!!!)

It's been a while since we've brought you some reading material in our long-running Articles section. I have decided to wipe some dust off it with an article called Connecting Red Alert to Tiberium: Mission (Im)possible, inspired by Westwood's plans to fill in the gaps between the universes in the cancelled Renegade 2. Here's an excerpt:

Click here to read the full article. You can also visit the Articles section to see all past works from our contributors.

NIce article. :thumbsup:

If I remember correctly: According to what Adam Isgreen told people on the Petroglyph forums this was one of the ideas Westwood had to connect the RA and Tiberium Universes:

Original Idea: Red Alert (Allied Victory) -> Tiberian Dawn -> Tiberian Sun -> Tiberian Incursion (WIP title for C&C3)

Idea with RA2: Red Alert (Allied Victory) -> Tiberian Dawn -> Tiberian Sun -> Tiberian Incursion -> Red Alert 2

You might be asking yourself "How does RA2 happen after C&C3?". One of the ideas was that GDI would uncover a locked away chronosphere in a abandoned secret military base which would spark a battle to control this area. During the fighting a certain Nod "Physiological warfare" operative accidentally manages to send himself back in time thus creating the RA2 timeline.

Just in case you wanted to hear the Westwood brainstorming ideas for C&C.

Something like that.

RA2 occured in the 1970s according to the last Allied cutscene (a magazine cover), while TD is 1995 onwards. I also noticed that people working on TibIncursion confused their own work for Generals (even Phil Robb!!!)

Hence the whole sending "Yuri" back in time to before the RA2 timeline. :P

According to that, the years would be:

Original Idea: 1950s -> 1995 -> 2030/2034 -> 2040s

Idea with RA2: 1950s -> 1995 -> 2030/2034 -> 2040s -> 1970s

???

He also stated that Yuri was Kane's acolyte. And I don't see any use of him in the Tiberium universe in such a storyline. Plus, he was dealt with in YR.

According to that, the years would be:

Original Idea: 1950s -> 1995 -> 2030/2034 -> 2040s

Idea with RA2: 1950s -> 1995 -> 2030/2034 -> 2040s -> 1970s

???

He also stated that Yuri was Kane's acolyte. And I don't see any use of him in the Tiberium universe in such a storyline.

Time travel.

He failed in whatever his mission was, hence RA2 is not a possible sequel to Tiberian Incursion, as Kane sent him and GDI could only sit and watch.

Things can happen in a few years. Yuri was meant to appear in C&C3.

And your timeline is correct as it splits.

1950s -> 1995 -> 2030/2034 -> 2040s -> ??Tiberian Continuum??

|

1970s ->---------------------

Guest Rabbit

This is all assuming that the RA2 we all know and love is exactly as it was originally planned.

Things can happen in a few years. Yuri was meant to appear in C&C3.

I don't deny the idea of adding him to C&C 3, but that would just be pointless. But then again, we are talking about Westwood, the team that is known to complicate matters that were meant to be really simple.

As far as I know the revised idea was created after RA2 was released (Which was originally a non-canon game)

Tiberian Twilight (later Insurrection) was under development in 2000 side by side with Red Alert 2, that started development in 1999. I no longer feel inclined to believe every Isgreen's word (he's been on so many games that he might have gotten confused), and I don't think everyone does the same, anyway. <- ignore last statement.

EDIT: Look at his post here

Yes, the solution to RA2's complete break of the RA -> C&C -> TS fiction was something that several of us came up with to "fix" the problem. RA being the prequel was what we (Westwood LV) intended for the series. It was originally called C&C0, FYI. RA2 was a great game, but we had issues with how to fit that into the timeline we wanted to maintain. We found a creative way to fix it. It's in the WWv2 C&C3 GDI campaign. Yuri, an acolyte of Kane's (Nod was experimenting with psionics in the WWv2 C&C3) is sucked into a chrono-vortex that is created by a Chronosphere that GDI inadvertently activates (along with some other RA-era tech) while attempting to retrieve the only other existing suit of powered "screaming eagle" commando armor (the first was melted on re-entry from orbit when the Philadelphia was destroyed) from the sealed tech vaults at Area 51.

Just like Einstein fracturing the timeline from "real" time with his little trip back into the past in RA, so did Yuri's presence throw off the already-altered timeline again, creating the RA2 reality. RA games would have continued in that splintered reality.

That is how it would have been explained. End of story on that.

This means that the Yuri theory came as a lousy last minute filler. Now, there is the question of causality and temporal loops. Yuri entered service of the Soviet Union before or during RA1 (hence his speech about his relations with Stalin), but did not affect the Soviet arsenal in any way. His PsiCorps troopers were introduced in RA2, which could also have equally arisen if Yuri was created naturally, without the meddling of people in the Tiberium universe. Then, Yuri could not have caused enough influence to trigger any event in the Tiberium universe, and was trapped/killed in YR, rendering himself unable to complete the temporal loop.

Trying to connect the RA and tiberium universes while still taking RA2 and RA3 into account is pointless, since both the story lines of both universes are already full of holes now and there'll be even more plotholes after connecting them.

Basically what happened is that some folks (from Westwood Vegas) started the C&C story, which began as TD->TS->TT, although this was quickly changed to RA->TD->TS->TI(->TT?) somewhere during the development of RA1.

Then after TS was finished, some other guy (from Westwood Pacific, later on renamed to EA Pacfic) decided to butt in and "contribute" to the story by writing a sequel to RA which could have never existed in the first place.

Then RA2 was released and folks at Westwood Vegas who originally started the story found that their story was suddenly divided in two halves without them ever having had a say in the matter and they thought of means to "fix" the inconsistencies which now divided the C&C universe in 2 halves and are those bits of story ideas you might have heard Adam Isgreen and some of the things planned for Renegade 2.

Now these "fixes" that were supposed to reunite the C&C universe were obviously never realized and during the meantime EA happily kept on "contributing" to Westwood Vegas' story by making TW, KW and TTse (I'll just call it TT second edition to avoid confusion, since this is obviously not the same TT as Westwood Vegas initially planned).

At the same time EA also made RA3, which is another sequel for the "RA universe".

Of the colors I used above, only the green text concerns the original story writers, while the rest are "independent" writers "contributing" to the story without any communication with one another whatsoever. So what we have is 3 different story writers (assuming RA2 and RA3 were written by the same people, which probably isn't even the case, making it actually 4 writers...) that all have their own ideas and add whatever they like to the story without communicating with one another at all and 2 of these 3 don't even seem to have any concern for the story's consistency at all as long as they can add in the things they like.

Although the original writers had some ideas for fixing up these huge plotholes caused by the existence of RA2, doing so actually would've been way too forced and would've created a messy story that'd still be full of plotholes (in fact, even if you ignore the tiberium related C&Cs, RA2 is still full of plotholes as RA1's sequel on its own). That aside, these original writers are no longer even around, which left the writers that messed up the story in the first place to run the show.

So unless you want a story full of holes, the only way to properly connect the RA and Tiberium universes again is by ignoring all of the CnCs that weren't written by the same people. As they say; too many cooks spoil the broth.

That leaves RA, TD and TS. If you insist you could also attach TW and TT to that, but considering those had different writers as well, doing so would also add a fair share of inconsistencies.

• Upvote 1

I like the article, but EA no longer recognizes the truth of a connection between RA and Tiberium universes, not even Generals universe.

Guest Rabbit

Generals was never ever ever ever going to be connected in the first place.

Oh here we go again. There is no connection between Red Alert and Tiberium. None. Nada. It don't exist. They can say it all they want but that doesn't make it so, nor does it make any real sense. I don't feel like beating a dead horse but this connection just... isn't there.

It almost was there. Ren2 and TibIncursion both attempted to do so.

Renegade 2 got canned and don't get me started on Tib Incursion. I am so glad Westwood never got to finish that joke of a game. So, happy happy happy...

You call the Tiberium universe a joke anyway :P

You call the Tiberium universe a joke anyway :P

I know I do, and with good reason. I will always prefer Red Alert.