Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Portable C&C

@Nyerguds, it's been over a year since revision 3 has been released for patch 1.06. When will C&C patch 1.06 r4 be released with this scrolling/extended sidebar and extra keyboard functions?

To be honest, I'm getting a bit impatient as well. I'm still waiting for INI language pack support.

I'm taking a week off from work soon, and I'll probably use most of that to work on the patch.

No promises on the extended sidebar, though. I'm starting with a port of all things I already got to hifi's system, and that alone will need loads of testing.

Yeah, the port might cause some delay, but its ABSOLUTELY worth it. Iran's code, while made with Hifi's system, is a hack potentially on top of changes Nyer already made with the current setup, so it's better to just redo it after the port. Iran's work work as a guide to speed that up, of course.

Edited by Sonarpulse

It's hot as hell here in Belgium these days though, so I'm not too inclined to even boot up my PC. Heats up my room too much -_-

You call sub-30 °C temperatures hot? I've got 36-38 °C all day long, while 28 °C is now a standard evening temperature! I'm running Tiberium Wars in medium graphics at the afternoon in such an environment, with only a cheap fan and a big window to cool my room, biatches B)

Whatever, man. It's not weather in which I feel inclined to program at home.

Pff. I just now got the zeal to try stuff in WrathEd.

Also, w

You call sub-30 °C temperatures hot?

btw, not sure where you got that idea, since we got up to 36.9° here around the time I wrote that.

Well, since you're in Belgium, I Googled your weather forecasts. Your entire country looks pretty fine to me, unless you're somewhere else at the moment.

Yeah. Look up the weather for August 2 in Belgium. It's more bearable now.

People can still work in the heat, regardless of weather and temperature. Besides I had to use an original small fan to face the opened PC case on hot summer days. Plokite's right about one thing, some people are getting impatient waiting for the next update and all I am reading and hearing are excuses. TBH I know you have been busy at times Nyerguds, but you need to keep on going with the project because the people still have confidence with your modding. I am still having fun with Iran's version of the modified C&C95 with the extended and scrolling sidebar despite the glitches.

One other question, what port of things to add into Hifi's code for C&C95?

Slow down there, Nyerguds has no obligations, he isn't getting paid to do any of this unless you want to change that.

The "port" is about changing the way the project is developed, it will be transparent to end users.

Before, most of my code was simply in the exe file. Sure I had some code written out and saved as text files, but definitely not all of it, and I kept making small tweaks in the exe without documenting them.

Hifis's system ONLY takes a clean original C&C95.exe file (well, I use hyper's expanded version as base because it simplifies things) and a bunch of assembler code files as input, and outputs the final patched result. This means everything NEEDS to be in code for it to work, forcing me to keep some order in my code (which is a good thing; I'm kinda chaotic).

I'm currently in the process of recovering all my custom changes and code from the exe file by means of ploughing through a 600k dump of a binary compare of the unpatched and final exe files, and saving my modified code in new source code files. This way, patch 1.06 will actually have source code.

Note that this is not the only step; I'm also using this opportunity to clean up all my code and make some functions more generally usable, to make it easier to implement the full rules ini reading system later.

I'm having some problems with patched data of the current game objects though, like the fact I made all terrain types (trees/rocks/cacti) and terrain tilesets (map terrain) usable in all theaters, which was needed to add Snow theater. These changed included changing the code to get rid of some code optimizations which made the data uneditable without side effects (anyone remember the "tree crash"? Stupid code recycled the theater ownership as object ID because they were the same value). My fixes for this made me move down entire blocks of code a few bytes, which is impossible to automate in hifi's system, meaning that the only way to reproduce my fixes there is by copying out all of the terrain and tileset initializing code and making the game use my fixed copies of them. I'm seriously considering just going straight to the ini reading for these things.

First I need to make some kind of general fallback system in case a rules file is missing, though; at the moment, the game crashes if you got an empty themes.ini in the game folder.

Ehh? No, I want the game to load all data as it was originally hardcoded, if the files are absent.

No yeah, that is fine. Just saying if it relies on the ini or it crashes, I personally don't find that so bad. I guess my debugging point is sort of ****, but the way the vanilla game prioritizes the various places it reads data/settings is rather complex. In your case you would have designed the priority system, so ain't a problem.

Not really. It was about you not getting the simple fact my installer IS the portable version. Iran's site only seems to have stripped-down versions. And playing C&C without music is a travesty :P

I agree though, this kind of discussion is what my development topic is for.