Sign in to follow this  
Plok

Daily C&C Trivia

Yeah that's an old well known little Easter egg, pity nothing really came of it.

ENTRY 24 - June 15th, 2013
RESIDUAL UNITS FROM TIBERIAN SUN BETA
kphTpt8.jpg
The Tiberian Sun beta builds had frequent appearances of units that were unbuildable in the final game. These included the returning Heavy Tanks and Mammoth Tanks, of which the latter found use in certain campaign missions as a Forgotten unit.

However, when digging through the final game's TIBSUN.mix file, one can stumble upon some residual units as well. These include:

• Light tank (1TNK)
  • Medium tank (2TNK)
  • Heavy tank (3TNK)
  • Mammoth tank (4TNK) - used in campaigns
  • Artillery (ARTY) - different from the final
  • Flame tank (FTNK)
  • Longbow (HELI)
  • Hind (HIND)
  • APC (M113)
  • MLRS (MLRS)
  • Mine-layer (MNLY)
  • Mobile radar jammer (MRJ)
  • Probe (PROBE) - see previous C&C trivia entry
  • Chinook (TRAN) - wrong pallette
  • Devil's Tongue WIP (UTNK)

All the mentioned units (except for the Mammoth tank) are without proper coding in TIBSUN.ini, but many of them have the necessary HVA files, as well as hull and turret voxels.

More Tiberian Sun alpha and beta shots are available here.

• Upvote 1

ENTRY 25 - June 16th, 2013
RESIDUAL TIBERIAN SUN AND BETA ELEMENTS IN RED ALERT 2 - PART 1
Similar to the previous entry, this is a list of all residual Tiberian Sun and beta TS and RA2 units found in Red Alert 2's RA2.mix file.

• Light tank (1TNK)
  • Medium tank (2TNK)
  • Heavy tank (3TNK)
  • Mammoth tank (4TNK)
  • Apache (APACHE)
  • Amphibious APC (APC/APCW)
  • Artillery (ARTY) - different from the final
  • Tiberian Sun Artillery (ART2)
  • Attack Buggy (BGGY)
  • Attack Cycle (BIKE)
  • Train Cargo Car (CARGOCAR)
  • Red Alert 2 beta Paradrop Plane (CPLANE)
  • Drop Pod (DPOD)
  • Orca Dropship (DSHIP)
  • Unremappable beta Flak Cannon??? (FLAK)
  • Rocket cargo truck (FLATA)
  • Flying Fortress (FORTRESS)
  • Flame tank (FTNK)
  • Longbow (HELI)- wrong pallette
  • Hind Transport (HIND) - coded
  • Mammoth Mark II (HMEC)
  • Hover MLRS (HVR)
  • Howitzer (HWTZ) - coded
  • ICBM Launcher (ICBM)
  • Jeep (JEEP) - remade in YR
  • Mobile sensor array (LPST)
  • Red Alert 2 beta Light tank - coded, but overwritten by Lasher Light Tank in YR
  • APC (M113)
  • Chemical missile (MISLCHEM)
  • Multi-missile (MISLMLTI)
  • Orca missile (MISLORCA)
  • SAM missile (MISLSAM)
  • MLRS (MLRS)
  • Titan barrel (MMCHBARL)- rest was removed
  • Mine-layer (MNLY)
  • Monorail car (MONOCAR)
  • Monorail locomotive (MONOENG)
  • Mobile radar jammer (MRJ)
  • Orca Fighter (ORCA)
  • Orca Bomber (ORCAB)
  • Orca Transport (ORCATRAN)
  • Chrono Tank (PHAL)
  • Probe (PROBE) - see C&C trivia entry #23
  • EMP Cannon turret (PULSCAN)
  • Mobile repair vehicle (REPAIR)
  • Subterranean APC (SAPC)
  • Banshee (SCRIN)
  • Disruptor (SONIC)
  • Stealth Tank (STNK)
  • Tractor (TRACTOR) - unseen?
  • Chinook (TRAN) - wrong pallette
  • Orca Carry-all (TRNSPORT)
  • Tiberian Sun truck (TRUCK2)
  • Tiberian Sun truck (TRUK)
  • Devil's Tongue WIP (UTNK) - coding overwritten, but unused, in YR
  • Weed Eater (WEED)
  • Beta War Miner (WRMN)

I hope modders will get some use of this :)

ENTRY 26 - June 18th, 2013
GENERALS MINI-GAMES
Between 2003 and 2010, two Generals universe mini-games were available on Pogo.
The first one was C&C: Attack Copter, in which one, obviously, played as the US Comanche in a retro gameplay style.

The second one was C&C: Armored Attack, in which one took the role of the US Paladin tank (note the pro-US bias ;) ), this time with more tactical elements like special powers that included paradrop and air strikes.

Unfortunately for those who would like to test them, Pogo discontinued them on 30 November 2010.
  • Upvote 1

Guest Stevie_K

Kane Cruise? That's deep, and scary. :o

oh wat, I replied to an old post.

Edited by Stevie_K

heh... I remember those two/too.

Good times.

ENTRY 27 - June 20th, 2013
RED ALERT 3 CHRONO TANK
normal_concept97.jpg
After the Chrono Tank in Aftermath and the scrapped Chrono Prison in Yuri's Revenge, EALA intended to give this idea another shot. The tank chassis is nearly identical to the one used for the Guardian Tank that made it to the final game and with the additional portable Chronosphere.

However, the other concept image puzzles me - the flash from the cannon is rather large for a standard cannon. If there was a gas tank behind the turret, I'd say this was a flame weapon.
normal_concept96.jpg

Sad that neither of those RA3 prototype tanks made it into the game.

ENTRY 28 - June 22nd, 2013
SCRIN PHYSICAL APPEARANCE
756px-CNCTInc_Scrin_Concept.jpg
The Scrin were imagined by Westwood as a tall and slender humanoid species when Tiberian Incursion was still under development. Although their appearance was rather unusual (but not uncommon in sci-fi), they showed no resemblance to insects (if we ignore the TD/TS alien probe).

AlienWarship_CC2_Cine1.jpg
Signs of humanoid Scrin were seen in Tiberian Sun as well, as the Scrin Ship interior was constructed with such species in mind, despite being constructed by Nod with the information from the Tacitus.

Scrinshocktrooper.PNG
Fast-forward to 2006: the Scrin were designed by EALA as a swarm of different insect and machine types, showing certain traces of culture in their characteristic glyphs, but maintaining an insect-like hierarchy. Lower life forms showed no signs of sentient behaviour, even though they acted in cohesion.

ScrinSupervisor.jpg
The exception to this rule were the mysterious Supervisor and the Overlord. The former has shown only his head and the latter was only mentioned several times and spoke the last sentence in Tiberium Wars himself, but did not appear visually. They were the only Scrin beings known to think and act individually.

292px-CNCT_Intruder.jpgArchon.png
Little is known, however, that EALA had plans of returning the humanoid Scrin and placing them alongside the insectoid ones in the cancelled Tiberium. To the left is the Intruder, a light-to-standard infantry unit, while on the right is the Archon, a heavy infantry unit.

453px-CNCT_Drudge.jpg640px-Shrike_attack.jpg
The left is the bizarre-looking Drudge, and the right is the Shrike, the basic Scrin infantry unit of the game that had a kamikaze attack.

Yeah those initial Scrin concepts look a bit too Protossy for my tastes.

My life for Aiur.... I mean, the Overlord!

ENTRY 29 - June 23rd, 2013
SECRET BEHIND THE PSIONIC DECIMATOR
640px-Yuriko_clone.jpg
Playing with full graphical details can show some barely visible Easter eggs. Did you know that the Psionic Decimator had clones of Yuriko Omega in chambers on its edges, from which the device gained all its power and abilities?

• Upvote 2

OK, now that one I didn't know. :o

That is a nice find...

ENTRY 30 - June 24th, 2013
TIBERIUM WARS SHIPYARD
CNCTW_GDI_Shipyard.png
Naval vessels were seen on several occasions in Tiberium Wars and Kane's Wrath. However, this piece of concept art confirms that all those ships were originally intended to be buildable through Shipyards, which were cut during development.

ENTRY 31 - June 25th, 2013
JUMP-JET INFANTRY IN TIBERIAN DAWN?
CNCTD_Aero_Pack_Concept_Art.jpg
According to concept art from 1995, Tiberian Dawn was to have jump-jet infantry that would use so-called aero packs, armed with 10 mm gatling guns and outfitted with infrared cameras and retracting legs.

The thread will not be updated in the next two days.

ENTRY 29 - June 23rd, 2013

SECRET BEHIND THE PSIONIC DECIMATOR

Playing with full graphical details can show some barely visible Easter eggs. Did you know that the Psionic Decimator had clones of Yuriko Omega in chambers on its edges, from which the device gained all its power and abilities?

Wow. THAT's pretty messed up :o

I've seen this, as well as other concept art scans, in the C&C Source Gallery some time ago. Whwre do they come from anyway? Some bonus DVD EA released?

Back to the scrapped Megan concept, am I right that in TS, they followed a more or less similar idea with Muntant Commandos: Umagon is a classic sniper much like the original Commando, while the Ghostalker has the C4 capability along with a more powerful, but slow firing weapon?

Also the the Ghostalker/Ghost Stalker (whichever is right I forgot) unit name might suggest that he was supposed to have some stealth capability - any real info on that?

ENTRY 32 - June 28th, 2013

PARASITE TROOPER WAS WESTWOOD'S DESIGN
RA2YR_Parasite_Trooper.png
This is a crop of a Phil Robb's multi-unit concept art piece, showing a jump jet infantry unit with insignia similar to Yuri's. It fits the description of the commonly used Parasite Trooper from various mods and indicates that the unit was actually Westwood's idea.

Is there a full version of this pic? I'm intrigued by the identity of the female on the right.

ENTRY 33 - June 30th, 2013
TIBERIUM IN POPULAR CULTURE
According to EVA Database, Tiberium was referred to three times in popular culture.

kane_tiberium.png
In SimCity 4, when placing industrial zones, an industry named "Kane Tiberium" will appear.

tiberian.jpg
In The Sims 3: World Adventures, Tiberium can be obtained in the form of a relic from Egypt, combining certain combinations of relics using a Carter's series display case, or breaking space rocks using the Board Breaker. It will start out as a small Spire Cut Tiberium that can be sold for 89 Simoleons, but within a single day, it will become a Large Spire Cut Tiberium worth 30.000 Simoleons. Leaving a Large Spire Cut Tiberium out on the lawn will spawn more Spire Cut Tiberium. Leaving a piece of Tiberium in a Sim's inventory for a while will give the Sim "Tiberium Poisoning", which drops the Sim's mood by 20, causes them to become very sick and vomit frequently.

Gaga_Tiberium.jpg
Lady GaGa's video for her single "Telephone" mentions Tiberium among the ingredients for a poison.

• Upvote 1

See this is why Lady Gaga is ****ing crazy. :P

I didn't know about Tiberium being in the Sims... I might have to go create a Tibeium backyard. :P

I think the SIM's reference is inaccurate as pop-culture reference; It should come under cross-promotion since they are both EA. Still nice though.

Tiberium in a Sims game is unusual.

As for the last image, I'll never forget about that "one cup Tiberium". I started to become a fan of her around the time the C&C community went crazy when they watched the music video.