Sign in to follow this  
Plok

17 Years of Command & Conquer: Red Alert

It's interesting how all three Red Alert games have very close anniversaries. Yesterday, Command & Conquer: Red Alert became 17 years old! Released by Westwood Studios on 31 October 1996, Red Alert polished what Dune II and Tiberian Dawn started - it had two brilliant campaigns with many more characters than Tiberian Dawn, introduced skirmishes versus the AI, perfected the multiplayer component and brought an overall amazing gameplay. Many will remember Stalin, Mammoth Tanks, Tesla Coils and Cruisers with a smile on their face.

Z6N4WYj.jpg

The first Red Alert is still a fan favourite, with the CnCNet lobby filled with at least 40 players at literally any given time. Many of the older fans will also remember the days when they made INI-based mods with absolute ease.

Share your opinions and memories on the first Red Alert in this thread. Also, if you haven't done so, check out the community-made release named PortableRA with bugfixes and new features, available completely free of charge.

100+ players every European evening on CnCNet v4. CnCnet v5 has only about 40 every European evening but that's rapidly increasing.

There's 170 people online on both combined right now.

Edited by Iran

Guest Stevie_K

Just asking because I have no clue, but why aren't everyone using v5?

Guest Stevie_K

That explains it. I had somehow convinced myself I had seen a news post about it being released.

That's still no reason for people not to use it, all game-breaking glitches are fixed fast.

17 years and yet to get a damn C&C game that will cause all those great emotions as red alert 1 did!

damn i just realized that i am getting old :(

Edited by Johnnyxp64
  • Upvote 1

I think this hobbyist service is more professional than Westwood Online ever was. Great work!

..why did you bump a 9 month old thread? :o

It's only 18 years of RA. Two more years, then RA will get its 20th anniversary. At least Portable RA by Iran is still ongoing.