Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Mark Skaggs Offers to Support C&C Generals Modders

Mark Skaggs, who was the Executive Producer for the likes of Red Alert 2, C&C Generals and Zero Hour, recently posted a message on his Facebook page offering his support and expertise to the C&C Generals modding community. As he is considering working on one or two projects.

ITZfo2n.jpg

I've been inspired by the number of C&C:Generals Mods that I've seen people working on over the years as well as some of the most recent ones under development.

To that end I'm considering working on a project or two with the mod community.

If you're a member of the mod community and interested, please reach out to me here on FB or on twitter "mark_skaggs".

You will find Mark Skaggs on Facebook and on Twitter at @mark_skaggs.

• Upvote 2

Interesting news. Hope something good comes out of that offer.

Excellent. Modding and Mapping projects keep a game alive, good call and very nice that he will do this free of charge.

He's not offering his help for the ZH modding community, he's asking for help from the ZH modding community.

He hasn't clarified if he wants to start a new mod project from scratch or join an existing one. He's probably been flooded with offers from everywhere anyway.

Let's just hope he doesn't decide to do a pony related one...

Update:

Hey everyone! I wanted to nail down a few things today before sharing my thoughts.

Here's my thoughts:

I'm figuring out a way that we can capture the combination of the great creativity and work that people have done over the years modding C&C Generals, and get it into the hands of more players.

And as important, figure out a way for people to get paid something for it.

There are a couple of tricky parts. 1st is to not have this become a nightmare for any of us. Part of this means keeping cool and continuing the great work people have been doing without getting all confused up by the fact that there may be a way to monetize the work.

Probably best to set expectations low on that front.

Second tricky thing is to figure out the engine and tool set that we can all use that will make it easier to get the work into the hands of more players.

I have a line on an engine with limited tools that we can use. Unfortunately, it's not as good as Generals yet, but that might be something we work on together.

Next thing, which is actually less tricky is to establish a collaboration environment that will make it easier to pull all this off.

Facebook posts are nice and all, but not really a collaborative environment. I'm open for suggestions on a collaborative environment we can start using. Once we have that, we can start shaping all this thinking, find out who is serious about helping, who can help in which way and also clarity the bigger picture.

I set up a slack account for us to try out.

If you're interested, please send a private message to me with your email and why you want to work on this project. We'll spend a little time sorting out people's history, skills, etc. I want to make sure the people who get involved with this are serious too.

https://www.facebook.com/markskaggs/posts/10152828229902059?comment_id=10152846457382059&offset=0&total_comments=44

We started a team using Slack. Mark and I are currently in discussion about which engine to use...UE4? Unity?

Anyone interested in joining the team?

Finally I am starting to see something similar to what Epic Games did to UT4. Main developers developing the game alongside with the fans.

As for the engine, I prefer UE4.5 (since that's the latest UE engine). Why not SAGE 2 as well?

You know what I think, you guys should reinstate Generals 2 as a hidden project without notifying EA. When done, then tell EA with the complete game concept. And if Generals 2 goes through, it should be F2P just like UT4.

Edit: If Louis Castle and Mark Skaggs are in, someone better get Brett Sperry, Frank Klepacki, Joe Kucan and possibly some guys from Petroglyph to join in as well (but they are probably too busy with Grey Goo).

Edited by zocom7

Good luck to him and Alex06, hope we'll see something great! :)

I'm not sure about the idea of making a game in the Generals build of SAGE, though, especially if he decides to monetize it. It's an engine used only by EA, which could pose a legal issue, and even if he could make an arrangement with EA, the TW build or even RNA would be a much better choice :P

We're probably using Unity. Unreal 4.5 would be awesome, but it would be too long and difficult to work for it, unless we can get the proper talent in. Then, we could see, I suppose. But so far, Mark is in contact to get us Unity.