Sign in to follow this  
hxazgalor

Hurrah, Internal Errors...

Posting my except.txt file here; can someone explain to me why some skirmish maps eventually lead me to the common, dreaded 'internal error' message and subsequent force closing of RA2/YR? The last map I played was Urban Canyon (author unknown); my copy of YR has been updated to 1.001 (the latest). Are there any details I missed? Do let me know.

Many thanks in advance :)

except.txt

Edited by hxazgalor

The error occurs outside of the normal RA2 memory address scope. It seems to be crashing with a division by zero. Does this happen on Westwood maps? At some specific point? Randomly? I need some additional information.

Thanks for the response! :) Westwood maps work fine; it's just some custom maps that crash for no reason. Can't remember which ones exactly, at the moment, but there are some custom maps that work, and others that don't. Most crashes occur maybe 15-20 mins into the game, sometimes even around 25-30 mins. It happens very randomly but if I recall correctly most crashes happen when there's quite a bit of action going on.

The game is doing something it's not supposed to, thus it crashes. I got my disassembler installed again and it's some cell object that's crashing. Could be a map tile or it could be something else entirely. Can you post the map file itself? Make sure there's no ore on slopes, that will cause a crash every time.

The game is doing something it's not supposed to, thus it crashes. I got my disassembler installed again and it's some cell object that's crashing. Could be a map tile or it could be something else entirely. Can you post the map file itself? Make sure there's no ore on slopes, that will cause a crash every time.

Posting two maps that I recently played and crashed, attached here. Boris' Training Grounds, and Another World.

Sorry about the late, late reply, been busy IRL :P

Crash Maps.rar

I have a similar problem too. After I finished the Soviet mission To the Moon, I press Next and started watching the next mission's cutscene. About 10 secs into the cutscene [Premier Romanov walking toward the Earth globe], an Internal Error has occurred and it prompts me to go to Westwood's homepage for support. I then re-enter the game and load the last save [mission To the Moon, about to finish it], and then the internal error happen again in that exact point.

That's probably a different issue. Sounds like a file is missing and the game is crashing. Do you have an except.txt from after the crash?

Update: if you skip the cutscene before the error occurs [within 10s into cutscene], this internal error will be skipped as well. :)

I've tried changing compability to Wins 98/Me and Run as Admin for all 7 .exe files [game, gamemd, mhp, mhpmd, Ra2, Ra2md, Yuri]. Didnt work! :(

Does that except.txt file renew itself everytime you start the game? Do I need to recreate the error and then copy the file?

[Also, my game was installed from the game disks and Im using Wins 7 64x, Home Premium]

Here is the except.txt file. I just finished Soviet campaign and tried watching the cutscenes through the "Movie and Credits" section.

Yeah, the error also occurred, at the exact same time. Now Im sure the movie file associate with the 'Head game' mission is corrupted and its crashing my game.

except.txt

I will check that out when I have my except checker. In the meantime, are your discs scratched up anywhere? A file may not have written fully, but normally you get a CRC error...

Its seem that the disk is fine otherwise the installation of the game'd have been interupted the 1st time I install it. Also found another guy on the net who has the same error [too bad I dont have the link anymore :(].

It means the problem isn't specific to Red Alert 2 most likely. It is still possible, but since it's not within the scope of the game itself, I cannot accurately say what it is.

Maybe there's something wrong with the video file then the error occured when the video player [belongs to windows i guess] trys to play it.

Anyway, thanks for the help Doctor :]