Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Help Support CNCNZ.com

S1ezt9v.png

Since moving to our new hosting last week, the cost of keeping CNCNZ.com online has become slightly more important. We do have some monthly and yearly costs that need to be taken care of. You can support CNCNZ.com by donating any amount of money you wish using PayPal. One important thing we want to make clear is that CNCNZ.com is not about profits, any money donated goes right back into the running of the site.

Summary of Costs

• Web Hosting - $34.50 (NZ Dollars) Every Month
  • Domain Name Renewal - $37.99 (US Dollars) Once Per Year
  • IP.Board Forum License Renewal - $25.00 (US Dollars) Every 6 Months

We are not in desperate need of donations or struggling to cover these costs. But any donations makes things easier. So if you think we are doing a good job here, feel free to help with a donations or your choosing. You will find full instructions on our Donate page. And remember, making payments with PayPal is fast, free and most importantly it’s secure!

Why do you pay so much for the domain? I mean... a .com domain costs about 13 dollars a year (and you can pay less than 10 per year if you buy 5 or more years). Even if you protect it to make your data private, it is not that expensive. At least, not with GKG. How many domains do you have for CNCNZ.com? I mean, 38 dollars for a domain is the cost to have it private and with SSL protection.

Edited by Banshee

The domain is registered with http://www.networksolutions.com/ and that's what they charge. I would move to cheaper options but since I technically don't own the domain, (an old and trusted friend does) I don't have the appropriate account permission to remove the transfer lock to do so. Only the primary domain name holder can do it and I haven't been able to get contact with him for awhile now. I only have access to renew and of course change DNS information. I guess the other question is why do Network Solutions charge so damn much and remain competitive.

They announce .com domains in their site for $9.99 for one year. I guess they might be charging a lot for the privacy then. Since I do not have an account at networksolutions.com, I'm unable to see the cost of making contact info private. It's either that or your domain is being considered a 'premium domain'.

Perhaps your right. To me $38 per year is rather affordable, I don't see it as strain on the finances. And I don't know the criteria for a "premium domain", maybe its the age of it? We've had this one since the year 2000. All I know is 11 months out of the year I forget about the domain name and in late May/early June it auto-renews.

I don't know if age affects. But a low combination of digits or common words. It depends a lot on who sells it.

Some companies offer .com domains for $9-$10 a year which also includes privacy, I don't know how networksolutions still charge that much for a domain!