Sonic

Who is upgrading to Windows 10?

Will you upgrade to Windows 10?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Will you upgrade to Windows 10?

• Yes
    • No
    • I plan to wait a while

So who is opting in and taking the free upgrade to Windows 10 when it releases on the 29th of July?

I've reserved my spot, but I'll wait a bit with the installation to see early reactions. Wouldn't want the upgrade to effectively be a downgrade of sorts.

I don't see why not.

Waiting for now. I really hope Win10 doesn't doom my old game collection. I'm big on keeping most of them alive.

I think i will, unless one of my internal devices won't be fully supported. From what i heard so far about Win10, the system is really well recieved among testers, although there were some issues with so called "ugly icons".

Waiting for now. I really hope Win10 doesn't doom my old game collection. I'm big on keeping most of them alive.

Games still run fine as far as I know. If it runs on Windows 8, it pretty much runs on 10.

Games still run fine as far as I know. If it runs on Windows 8, it pretty much runs on 10.

There are a lot of very old games (plus emulated ones) that have trouble with newer setups and, additionally, depend a lot on what hardware you use. So that's a big concern for me. I don't intend on giving up old childhood favorites so I'm doing my best to preserve what I can since not all oldies get a second chance via GoG.com, for instance.

It appears for Nvidia users, they have to download a specific separate version of the driver for Win10. No wonder why the recent Nvidia drivers that were designed for Win Vista, 7 and 8 don't work for Win10. Also there have been reports that mandatory Win10 auto updates conflicted with Nvidia video card drivers.

IMO I have no confidence that Windows 10 will be epic. It'll be better than Windows 8 but no better than Windows Vista. The designs are one step backwards lacking most 3D edgy shadowing and more simple 2D icons and windows. As for the Windows features, more than half of them are removed or replaced with something else, leaving to install more 3rd party programs to tweak Windows. If I want to see the future of design and PC computing, Windows 10 is simply not it.

I was looking all over for this sort of article:

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-questions-and-answers-you-need-know-upgrading

What I find amazing:

• upgrade saves as many files as possible (as was the case with previous Windows upgrades)
  • an upgrade can be rolled back (if you did so from Win7, you can return to Win7, same goes for Win8.1)
  • if you upgrade, you can do clean installations of Win10 (good if you screw something up)
  • less intrusive start menu/screen
  • free availability of "tools" that you use to install the OS, with the ability to convert them to an ISO or burn to a DVD or put in a USB. I love this move. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

What I'm not quite impressed about:

• the article states DVD playback capability is removed from the OS. WTF? Shouldn't MS consider that a basic function nowadays?
  • gadgets removal - since I started using Win7 a year ago, I liked my gadgets. The big clock and calendar come in handy, as well as the defunct weather report.
  • the scheduler that you see in the "Get Windows 10" application in Win7/8.1 can only see two days ahead. Why? (Guess I may be switching sooner than planned, but I'm not too troubled by that).

Oh, and if you folks get an error during installation, this may help: http://imgur.com/gallery/96I8rKx

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

What I'm not quite impressed about:

• the article states DVD playback capability is removed from the OS. WTF? Shouldn't MS consider that a basic function nowadays?
  • gadgets removal - since I started using Win7 a year ago, I liked my gadgets. The big clock and calendar come in handy, as well as the defunct weather report.
  • the scheduler that you see in the "Get Windows 10" application in Win7/8.1 can only see two days ahead. Why? (Guess I may be switching sooner than planned, but I'm not too troubled by that).

Oh, and if you folks get an error during installation, this may help: http://imgur.com/gallery/96I8rKx

• You really watched DVD on PC, Laptop? Dear God who does that? In era of Netflix, internet streaming and torrents who does that?
  • Gadgets werent properly used, ate a lot of RAM, and their capabilites were very limited - close to none. 3rd parties apps were better than in-build Windows gadgets.
Edited by Traymen

You really watched DVD on PC, Laptop? Dear God who does that?

Not usually, but shouldn't it be a damn standard to have support for that? You have a DVD drive, DVDs held movies, why not watch a DVD movie on a PC if you could on... *shivers* Windows ME?

In era of Netflix, internet streaming and torrents who does that?

Netflix is available in select countries only (**** Netflix), streaming isn't very widespread and you can't rely on torrents when making OS decisions :P

I didn't get this info. I had to manually enforce Windows Update to download upgrade

The Get Windows 10 app itself? I clicked on it this afternoon and it started downloading. I only had an option of installing now or postponing, and postponing doesn't go after July 31st at 23:00.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

Still no notification to upgrade to Windows 10 for me. I'm in no rush for it, but this is all it says for me (from the little icon in the taskbar). Guess it doesn't help that the computer is off most of the day.

EDga4yR.png

For those who can't wait and need it now.....

Lots of extra info here as well http://reviews.gizmodo.com/windows-10-the-gizmodo-review-1720872266

Those who performed upgrades from a Windows installation that had Media Center will receive a "Windows DVD Player" app via Windows Update to maintain DVD playback functionality.

Oh? Guess I missed that, but still, why not have it for everyone?

@Sonic: it seems that not everyone is getting Win10 at the same time. Maybe it's first come, first served?

That article series on Gizmodo is amazing! It deals with a few concerns I had.

One of them was dealing with settings, which got my attention when I watched a video demonstration of a tech preview from the Computer Clan on YouTube. As a long-time old-school 9x/XP user who's only been using Win7 for a year, I'm not very happy with Microsoft's shuffling of settings menus, especially when it's split to two for no real reason.

Also, I find this pretty cool: you can download sections of Nokia's Here Maps for offline use. Quite surprising, given that today everything has to be online, synchronized, clouded etc.

I am willing to give the OS a chance. I am excited to try it out, especially after investigating Windows history lately. And from what I've heard from other forums, game compatibility hasn't changed from Win8.1 - although that isn't very good concerning some older titles, it also isn't a step back, so it'll be easy to troubleshoot.

Apparently Microsoft had to pay licensing for Windows Media Center with every copy of Windows distributed. However, they found that not enough people actually used WMC to make continuing to pay for licensing make economical sense.

If needed DVD playback can be restored with VLC, MPC-HC and other programs. Media Center can be replaced with Kodi.

I have been using Windows 10 for a while now and I have had no major hickups. I like it better than 8(.1), it feels faster and smoother than 7.

Already on it, seems pretty much the same with a better start menu.

I really like the Windows 8 apps running in window - not in ugly fullscreen.

Booting after an upgrade drags like ASS. And it seems to be so for everyone.

Also, persistent audio driver issues and I had to reinstall most of my antivirus stuff.

The Settings/Control Panel split is an idea so poor that I want to question the intelligence of the guy who got to that idea. Also, some of the options are made so simplistic that I assume Microsoft is trying to follow Apple in expecting that their target audience is comprised of nothing but total imbeciles.

In the Start menu, I keep confusing File Explorer (formerly Windows Explorer) with All Apps when I want to see a list of my stuff because File Explorer has an arrow like All Programs did back then and All Apps doesn't. :/ Still beats full Metro from Win8.x, though, as installed applications are listed in a way similar to Windows Vista/7, just with bigger icons and a letter dial for faster access.

My Media Player, DirectX 9.0c and even the retired Games Explorer seem to have survived the transfer, though, +1 for that. Win10 also introduced a new thing in the Compatibility tab for programs - running individual EXEs (old ones, of course) in 8-bit or 16-bit colour mode without doing so to the desktop itself. That should help fix a few RA2/YR issues ;)

The new Action Center is a good idea. It's no longer just a little flag in the tray that annoys you whenever you willingly deactivate your AV, it has a few neat commands handy, like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth toggles, Airplane Mode, Quiet Hours mode... the Brightness button is also added, but only deals with 25-50-75-100%, and you have to go to Settings for more precise calibration.

Hope I can get this to tip-top shape soon.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

• You really watched DVD on PC, Laptop? Dear God who does that? In era of Netflix, internet streaming and torrents who does that?

I still watch DVDs and BluRays on my desktop. I have a lot of stuff on DVD and it's more convenient to pop it in over streaming or torrenting 80 gigs of data in lower quality.

The wait continues for my notification that I can upgrade. The update thing has changed though, saying it could upgrade in a few day or weeks....

BvXDm0G.png

I am not putting my complete review for this OS yet since there's still much more for me to explore the new Windows.

Did you know Windows 10 could be the beginning of a new feature that I am beginning to not like? Acting as a permanent service OS through mandatory automatic updates similar to how Microsoft did with MS Office 365 and especially to all recent Adobe programs.

Well up and running on Windows 10 now. Just went to http://lifehacker.com/how-to-skip-the-line-and-upgrade-to-windows-10-now-1720854489 and followed the instructions there. I did the upgrade over Windows 8.1, retaining all files and settings. No issues with the upgrade. Only had to install the latest nVidia drivers to get the correct screen resolution. Windows 10 uses it's basic display driver when you first install it.

I'm bound to find stuff that bothers me, and things I want to change, customize and fine tune. I've done the same routine with every edition of Windows over the years.

Here's CNCNZ.com in the Microsoft Edge browser....

HIH4sfU.jpg

Hmm... I'll upgrade when I build a new computer me thinks. So another year for me.