Who is upgrading to Windows 10?

Will you upgrade to Windows 10?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Will you upgrade to Windows 10?

• Yes
    • No
    • I plan to wait a while

5 hours ago, Doctor Destiny said:

The chances of Microsoft making its own application platform useless would be suicidal and stupid.

As someone who used Windows Phone for over two years, and who's only ever downloaded Minesweeper and Solitaire from the Store on my Windows 10 computer, I can say it already is. Not by the idea as much as not giving anyone reasons to develop for it. Most of the stuff there are just fake applications that have hidden malicious code, and those things that are legit are either the very, very basic stuff like WhatsApp/Viber, or Microsoft's property. (For crying out loud, the first browser for Windows Phone that wasn't the crash-prone Internet Explorer or the odd Nokia Xpress was Opera Mini, and even that exited beta only about a year ago).

Windows Phone's market share is laughable, the PC market already has established ways of distribution, and Xbox One still has DVDs. The Windows Store has almost no reason to ever be used, by consumers or developers.

2 hours ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

The Windows Store has almost no reason to ever be used, by consumers or developers.

MS simply has entered the market too late. Google had time to develop, polish and become a monopolist in this segment. But saying that it is useless is a bit farfetched. 

1 hour ago, Traymen said:

MS simply has entered the market too late.

Not an excuse to suck at it.

1 hour ago, Traymen said:

But saying that it is useless is a bit farfetched. 

Sorry, I used the Windows Store. It's nigh-useless for mobile considering the low number of good applications, and it's definitely useless for PCs considering everything exists in a desktop-native form.

8 hours ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

As someone who used Windows Phone for over two years, and who's only ever downloaded Minesweeper and Solitaire from the Store on my Windows 10 computer, I can say it already is. Not by the idea as much as not giving anyone reasons to develop for it. Most of the stuff there are just fake applications that have hidden malicious code, and those things that are legit are either the very, very basic stuff like WhatsApp/Viber, or Microsoft's property. (For crying out loud, the first browser for Windows Phone that wasn't the crash-prone Internet Explorer or the odd Nokia Xpress was Opera Mini, and even that exited beta only about a year ago).

Windows Phone's market share is laughable, the PC market already has established ways of distribution, and Xbox One still has DVDs. The Windows Store has almost no reason to ever be used, by consumers or developers.

I was actually referring to Win32 applications, not MS Store applications. Store applications already have mechanisms in place in Windows 10 to curb pirated Store products. zocom was trying to imply that Microsoft would nuke its own Win32 platform to prevent things like emulators, which... again... would be stupid.

Windows 10 Creator's Edition is officially releasing tomorrow worldwide, so here's the final features this OS will come with:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3157039/windows/the-windows-10-creators-updates-best-new-features-dynamic-lock-game-mode-privacy-tweaks-and-more.html

As of now, the official Win10 download link must use the media creation tool that Microsoft provides which will download or upgrade the type of Win10 ISO of your choice.

So far the only features interesting are Game Mode, Paint 3D, Windows VR and MS Edge (almost replacing Adobe Reader) to read PDF and now some ebook files.

That's not much to call this Windows 10.1 after all.

It's already available for a few days already. Running it on both my pc and laptop, has some new neat options.

Whats the rush? I'll wait for it to update via Windows Update.

UWP app targeting.

Well here are the alternative links to download Windows 10 Creator's Edition (or version 15063) for those who couldn't get the Windows Update or the media creation tool working (**** Microsoft for not putting direct download links to the ISOs anymore):
https://www.windowsnews.nl/windows-10-build-15063-client-combined-iso

Edited by PurpleGaga27

This evening I set my PC to get updates from the LAN and any PC on the internet. I plugged in the laptop via ethernet cable (same with the desktop PC) and suddenly my Windows updates were heaps faster. I'm on an unlimited plan now and I doubt that Windows Update uses that much bandwidth - it mainly uses up my hard drive access speed, which causes instability.

I'll just let it update later through Windows Update. I'd rather it not tank my install. I'll let it get patched a few times before installing.

For those who are planning to upgrade to Windows 10 Creator's Edition and above, heads up for a new change I discovered. It appears that outdated apps (including some drivers) that are incompatible with the latest version of Win10 after the Windows upgrade will wind up being deleted without the need of prompting the user. Always use system restore and back up your files before upgrading Windows.

It happened to me when I was upgrading my RCN tablet. While the upgrade was a success, the Intel audio driver disappeared in the device manager and the volume control is muted. Then I tried installng the updated drivers found from a third-party website which winded up having the reboot an issue and Windows couldn't recover the bootup, so I reset back to factory settings while keeping my personal files and have all installed apps deleted all just to restore an Intel SST Audio Device driver. Neither using system restore nor updating the driver using the Internet worked to revert the situation. I assumed there was already an unknown bug or malware in my tablet before all of this happened.

7 hours ago, PurpleGaga27 said:

It appears that outdated apps (including some drivers) that are incompatible with the latest version of Win10 after the Windows upgrade will wind up being deleted without the need of prompting the user. Always use system restore and back up your files before upgrading Windows.

That has been happening since Windows 10 RTM and the previous major updates.

(I'm not. My laptop is 3 years old.)

But it goes for software, too. Didn't update CCleaner in a while? Welp, you'll have to update it the hard way!

To compete against iOS and Android, Microsoft releases Windows 10 S (specifically for schools), an OS restricted to only Windows Store apps, not 32/64-bit desktop apps. Unfortunately the Windows Store still needs some major work and bringing in better compatible apps before Windows 10 S can be useful. I mean even Google Play and Apple Store are still millions of leagues better than the Windows Store. Like iOS and Android, Windows 10 S is completely free but only to students and teachers. :mellow:

Also the pricey new laptops that Microsoft recently released also comes with Windows 10 S with an optional upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for $50 USD. :mellow:

Sources:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3193700/windows/meet-windows-10-s-a-streamlined-simplified-windows-store-only-os-for-schools.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3193782/software/microsofts-full-office-desktop-apps-are-coming-to-beef-up-the-windows-store.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3193779/windows/microsofts-sleek-surface-laptop-takes-aim-at-chromebooks.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3193905/laptop-computers/surface-laptop-hands-on-microsoft-transforms-the-surface-pro-4-into-a-long-life-laptop.html

Edited by PurpleGaga27

iOS and Android are mobile, that's a completely different thing. W10S is more like ChromeOS.

There is a lot of stuff geared towards schools but W10S is not specifically for schools, and no the S does not stand for School.

You should really read your sources next time. The links you provide, just the links themselves, not even what they link to, have more and more accurate information then the entire rest of your post.

Microsoft wants to kill Paint - I use paint every single day to post clipboard contents (read: screen shots) and it's good for basic editing. Whenever I need to add a few words or arrows into a picture, I use Microsoft Paint.

There's Paint 3D which includes Paints functions.