chimekolover

Can't run The First Decade properly on Windows 10

Just got the free upgrade to Windows 10 and when i tried to see how this game would run on the new OS most of the games wont work anymore. the games i had trouble with are the original game and Tiberian Sun plus Firestorm, Renegade, and Generals plus Zero Hour. when i try to run the original it just gets an error and will crash. i tried adjusting the settings like running as administator, running in compatibility for Windows 8 and it looks like the game will run but then it asks for me to insert a C&C disk to play. i never did that on my Windows 7. for Tiberian Sun and Firestorm it would go to the menu but freeze when i try to select a menu option like new game, options and so forth. after doing the same things i did to C&C it asks me to insert a disk to play. Renegade seems to run. i can hear sound and even use the controls but the issue is the screen is 100% blank, just black. Generals and Zero Hour both require disks to play. idk if anyone knows a way to fix these issues or if there are patches being made for this new OS.

First patch TFD with the 1.03 rev4 patch: http://www.cncnz.com/hosted-projects/command-patch/the-first-decade-unofficial-patch/

Then patch Tiberian Dawn with the 1.06c r3 patch: http://www.cncnz.com/hosted-projects/command-patch/command-conquer-gold-unofficial-patch/

Then patch Tiberian Sun with this fix: http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=3438.0

Try running Renegade in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 or, if necessary, Windows 98 (the Windows 8 one isn't a good idea and you won't change anything).

Generals/Zero Hour (or any other game) should no longer ask for the DVD because of the 1.03 TFD patch.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

Thanks most of these patches helped along with some extra tweaking. but i am still having trouble with just one game. Yuri's Revenge will load up and let me start a game and i will be able to play for a bit but after about a minute the game freezes and wont recover. i have no choice but to restart my laptop all the way.

ok i did try the fix for Yuri's Revenge but it didnt seem to work. plus the patch was removed as a threat from my computer. it still freezes for both campaigns. and another issue i overlooked is for Firestorm. i am still able to use the menu, and run skirmish maps. but when i try to play the campaigns it goes to load the games but then it just says Unable to read scenario! any ways to fix these? and thanks for all the help so far.

Make an exception in your antivirus for the patch (if the antivirus is called AVG or Avast, destroy it, it's useless and paranoid), the file won't harm your computer in any way (its contributors are noteworthy and trusted members of this community). Then run the patch again, it seems like it partially installed.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

ok the Yuri's Revenge campaigns work just fine now! but the Firestorm campaigns wont run. whenever i try to run a new game and it goes to the mission load screen for either faction it just says "Unable to read scenario!" and crashes back to the Firestorm menu. everything else works just fine though. and the vanilla Tiberian Sun campaigns work perfectly too. anyone know how to fix this?

ok ive been having tons of issues with my laptop in general after downloading Windows 10. and all these new issues appear to be messing up the games in The First Decade all over again. at this point ill probably just wait until Microsoft fixes all that crap and see if that helps. or wait until i get a high end gaming desktop.

I used to be able to get everything to run as administrator, but lately, even been getting the black screen. I've been hunting around Google hoping for some answers and wound up here, but I'm sad to say that the patch didn't work at all :(.

For which game(s), first of all?

For which game(s), first of all?

Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge were the ones I was having the most issues with.

Edited by hanshotfirst1138

Didn't work. Followed the instructions regarding copying and pasting, but no luck. When I tried to run the .exe files themselves, I got a notification to run them from the install directory, or to reinstall the program. When I tried to launch them through the icon, opening RA2 and YR gave me the black screen of death. You can even click within it and see sound, but can't see any graphics. :(.

Did you use the TFD patch 1.03 rev4 before this? The "run from the install directory" would indicate a registry key absence, remedied by running the game from the executable instead of the DVD, and the TFD patch removes the need for the DVD.

Also, did you set up the compatibility settings like in those two threads? Something's off here.

Not sure if that applies to you, but there are several .exes for RA2 and YR in the install folder. The larger ones are the actual .exes whereas the smaller ones are launchers (?). Anyway, only the small-sized ones work for me, so if you have been using the other ones, give that a shot.

Did you use the TFD patch 1.03 rev4 before this? The "run from the install directory" would indicate a registry key absence, remedied by running the game from the executable instead of the DVD, and the TFD patch removes the need for the DVD.

Also, did you set up the compatibility settings like in those two threads? Something's off here.

Don't know what's off. I have the 1.03 patch, and adjusted the settings like the linked posts indicated, and tweaked the compatibility settings as well. Running it as administrator too. I'm getting frustrated :(. Still get the black screen. Can click, but can't see the graphics or anything. I am frustrated :(.

Not sure if that applies to you, but there are several .exes for RA2 and YR in the install folder. The larger ones are the actual .exes whereas the smaller ones are launchers (?). Anyway, only the small-sized ones work for me, so if you have been using the other ones, give that a shot.

It was the only .exe file that came up when I searched. It's telling me it can't run the program, but with the above-mentioned patch, I should be able to run it without the disc, and even if if I couldn't, the disc is in.

Try to run RA2.exe directly from your RA2/YR folder. Sounds like the exe file your search finds is one not in it's proper folder.

Try to run RA2.exe directly from your RA2/YR folder. Sounds like the exe file your search finds is one not in it's proper folder.

The only file I found on the disc or the hard drive according to my full PC search results. I reinstalled it in Administrator mode, but still get the black screen. I can click on things, but not see them. I've tried to use compatibility mode for XP, but nothing. I don't particularly want to mess around with Origin, and since this brought me joy in a time in my life full of depression, I frankly really, really, really want it to work. Command and Conquer, Red Alert, and Tiberian Sun all seem to work, but not RA2, YR, or Generals. Something is screwy, but I'm damned I could tell you what it is. I just want the game to work so I can play it!!

I suppose this means my desire to play old Dune or Doom games is even more unlikely :( . Damn, running old games on new OS is a lot of work!

Oh, hey, didn't know you posted this here too.

I should really visit this place more...

Yes, I gathered that ^_^

ok, I know this thread I made is old but after the issues I have been having with this game I decided to do a complete reinstall and patching of the game. after following some old directions on this thread Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert, Renegade, Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge work perfectly. Tiberian Sun and Firestorm after the patch for those games do work but the cutscenes in both games wont play. and Generals and Zero Hour no longer ask for a CD but show an error message saying "You have encountered a serious error. Serious errors can be caused by many things including viruses, overheated hardware and hardware that does not meet the minimum specifications for the game. Please visit the forums at www.generals.ea.com for suggested course of action or consult your manual for Technical Support contact information." so after redoing everything from the ground up where do I go from here to fix these issues? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hmm. Don't know too much about Generals, to be honest. The most common fixes on it are compatibility mode (mess around a bit until something works), check if the settings .ini files are created correctly, and make sure your desktop supports the resolution set in the settings ini file.

For the rest, these should be the latest patches:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:Tiberian Sun:Red Alert 2:
  • The graphics system patch DDWrapper is known to solve the "black screen" issue.

Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and the game should work.