Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Red Alert 2 & Yuri's Revenge Taken Off Origin's On the House

4841RIS.png

So it looks like the limited time free release of Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge on Origin's On the House promotion caught on so fast and became so popular it brought EA's Origin servers to total stand still. Almost to the point of melting down, ok maybe not that far. If you follow that link above you are given this message.

Looking for Command & Conquer Red Alert™ 2 and Yuri’s Revenge™?

Wow, you guys are loving Command & Conquer Red Alert™ 2 and Yuri’s Revenge™ On the House! The demand is so high that we need some time to cool down our servers. Command & Conquer Red Alert™ 2 and Yuri’s Revenge™ will return to on the house very shortly. Thanks for being patient!

Perhaps EA underestimated the popularity of Command & Conquer games once again. And maybe this will send them a message that fans still care about the franchise. In the mean time, Theme Hospital is available for free On the House. And just as it says in the quoted text, Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge will be back soon.

I am afraid RA2/YR returning to "on the house" very shortly is unlikely. But the certainty of having EA to revive the C&C series might be getting some attention.

I bet 20$, literally quote me on this, that we will hear news about a new C&C within the next year.

I've noticed a few companies doing sneaky ways to gauge interest for games and series. Most notably Shenmue 3. I feel like this wasn't just a "lets throw this game up for free because why not."

I think it's more likely some EA employee made some noise about EA virtually ignoring the C&C 20th anniversary and the noise echoed through the pipes until the decision was made to put the oldest non-freeware C&C up for free.

I doubt EA did it out of the kindness of their hearts, I doubt they had some sneaky positive motive, and I doubt they had any idea that C&C was still this popular. I do hope it opens some eyes, but I also doubt very many eyes were already open prior to this.

Pretty sure it's just a random pick.

• Upvote 1

Even though I have a disc of this somehwere around here, its nice to have a digital copy now. :)

Random but pleasant result IMO. It's a nice reminder to the powers-that-be that C&C is still a viable IP.

(I always thought RA2 was one of the better selling versions - so it only makes sense for old fans to grab a digital copy for free.)