Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

NVIDIA Driver Stops Responding & Monitor Looses Signal

In recent weeks I've been experiencing a problem that has come back to annoy me. Its a problem I had randomly had when I was using Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. And random times, usually after a first boot the system will stop, the monitor goes blank and sometimes it recoveres showing this notification....

kAuMc2M.png

Sometimes it looses signal, the monitor goes blank but it doesn't recover and the system needs to reboot in order for it work again. After a couple of reboots the system will work fine for hours on end with out a problem. The problem even disappears for days, sometimes weeks and I forget about it until it just sporadically starts happening again for no reason.

I have Googled this and found countless references to "NVIDIA Driver Errors". But I haven't found any solutions.

I suspect the motherboard but I can't rule out the video card or possibly the PSU. As I said before I similar problems in my Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 days but this seems worse, its happening more often.

I am having the same problem too in one of my partitioned hard drives using Windows 7 despite the hard drive being partially corrupted. I updated the latest graphic card drivers and still seeing that issue as well (but didn't need to reboot though). I found that rare to believe.

Have you tried updating the drivers and/or do a clean re-install of the updated video card driver?

Have you tried updating the drivers and/or do a clean re-install of the updated video card driver?

Yes I've done that. The NVIDIA driver installer removes the previous driver before installing the new one anyway. And it doesn't matter what driver is installed, the problem persists.

I had this issue with a msi r9 270 card about a year ago. Tried all kindsof ****, from beta drives to rollback of older drivers, psu upgrade, installing it into a different mainboard. Forums where full of the same issues. finaly it seemed it was a problem with that particular memory type, it sometimes overheated faster then the cooler could start up. The result was that the safety features of the card outputting a error to win, wich prompted win7/8 to revert to a default vga display modus and driver...thus turning of the screen wich was otherwise connected by hdmi or dvi or such. I pointed my retailer to the problem, they checked with msi and even pulled that card type from their store and gave me a asus equilevant instead. wich has been working like a charm so far.

Long story short...win7/8 have a default display driver modus. When ever your graphic card, doesnt mather if its nvidea or amd, derps up reall bad it autodefaults to those settings and standard drivers. Inwinxp..it basicly didnt have a choice it would keep on truckin' on the drivers it had and works to its best or worst ability. Win7 disables your nvidea drivers and defaults to its base display setup and default drivers , inthill you reboot the system.

It could be that your card has some wear and tear related memory issues aswell or is overheating(this doesnt mean its going chernobyl but just the memory heating up before the fan control can react, think heat spikes.)

I came across a long post during my troubles on how to prevent win7/8 from going into safety mode and defaulting....but it was highly unrecommended as it could actually fry your card if there was a physical issue with it. Also that was more then a year ago and can't reproduce the article atm.

Either it's 2016 when the files/processes are starting to behave peculiarly or the recent video card drivers caused the issue that I am seeing on my slow PC.

Not sure if I've solved this or I'm on the right track but I was told to remove all the extra useless **** like NVIDIA Geforce Experience that gets installed when you install the display drivers. So I've uninstalled all the extra NVIDIA junk leaving only the display driver. Well see how it goes from here.

Likely won't make any difference at all. I had the same problem and it was a problem with the fan not kicking on enough. I started using EVGA's PrecisionX tool to keep the fan at 40 percent. Haven't seen an issue since. The latest nvidia drivers also have some serious problems so if you're using those, rollback to the previous version.

Likely won't make any difference at all. I had the same problem and it was a problem with the fan not kicking on enough.

This is my video card, a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 TI.

1BKJPc2.jpg

When I did a blow out of all the dust a couple of weeks back I checked and made sure all fans were spinning. As you see my card dual fans and they both spinning nice and silently ;)

The latest nvidia drivers also have some serious problems so if you're using those, rollback to the previous version.

It's been doing it regardless of the driver version.

Anyway, its been a couple of days since I removed all extra NVIDIA junk and I haven't seen it show any signs of the problem. As I mentioned, it always did it just after a boot if the system has been off for awhile. I guess you could call it a cold boot. Since making the software changes its been working perfectly fine. I'm not 100% convinced just yet. But so far, so good.

So I'm no longer getting the driver stops responding error in Windows any more. But I'm still being bothered with the screen going blank and monitor saying no signal. When it happens it takes a 2 or 3 reboots, sometimes a few more to get it going correctly again. And these aren't normal reboots either, I have to kill the power by holding the power button for more than 4 seconds.

I pulled and reseated the video card, making sure it was clean and dust free. I'm starting suspect the video card is beginning to die

Thought I'd post an update to the problem I originally posted about in this topic.

Since pulling out the video card and reseating it I have not had one problem. Its been worked perfectly for the past 3 days. I can only assume the card wasn't inserted all the way correctly, not making full contact in the PCI-E slot perhaps. I thought if the video was not installed correctly the system wouldn't boot at all.

Either way, its much better now. The only time the monitor looses signal is when I shut it down, the way it should be.

I am still getting the errors no matter if I cleaned the card or not. Changing to an older video driver... no effect. Changing to the 2015 year... no effect. When I wake up my PC from sleeping, the issue happens. When I turn on the PC from hibernating, the issue also happens. Even a corrupted partition(s) on a hard drive wasn't even the issue if it's on a different video card (like an integrated card or some other video card). Disabling the Nvidia control panel services at the startup windows winds up getting a blue screen error and instead reboots the PC and then no problems thereafter. I may believe the issues leading up to this is my frequent use of sleeping and/or hibernating the PC and so far I am stuck on a problematic GeForce GT 220 on my slow dual-core Lenovo PC.