Sign in to follow this  
Plok

Classification of Generals 2 vs. C&C 2013

I've just refreshed the wiki article for C&C2013, but it feels off to me.

C&C2013 was announced as a live service, while Generals 2 was first announced as its own game, and was later intended to be the first of several "sub-games" of sorts within the said service, despite the fact that the Generals 2 name was not present in the assets of any of the closed alpha builds released to the fans.

I think they should have separate articles for this reason. It can be concluded that the C&C2013/C&CF2P term (as it appears on Wikipedia and several of the remaining C&C sites) that is used to categorize the game(s) intended to be incorporated within it may not be right after all.

Or is it just me that wants the wiki to be a little more pedantic than needed and should be attending to other articles on it :P

Thoughts?

Guest Rabbit

Truth be told, I see it all as just being one game. The announced it as a service to emphasize the "constant" upkeep of maintenance, but it never showed any signs of being a "sub" game that would run alongside other games.

It had many names, but in truth, C&C 2013 and C&C F2P were just 'working titles," whereas Generals 2 was the actual name of the game. They built it so they'd have the option of reusing the engine and client as a whole for other games (Red Alert and Tiberium Eras were suggested by fans/testers), but Victory Games idea of making it a live service was adding future factions, not games. They fully intended on adding a US faction after release, along with other features, but they never mentioned any actual intention to add additional games. If we suggested additional games, they accepted the concept, but never emphasized it on their own behalf.

Truth be told, I see it all as just being one game. The announced it as a service to emphasize the "constant" upkeep of maintenance, but it never showed any signs of being a "sub" game that would run alongside other games.

(...)

They built it so they'd have the option of reusing the engine and client as a whole for other games (Red Alert and Tiberium Eras were suggested by fans/testers), but Victory Games idea of making it a live service was adding future factions, not games. They fully intended on adding a US faction after release, along with other features, but they never mentioned any actual intention to add additional games. If we suggested additional games, they accepted the concept, but never emphasized it on their own behalf.

Maybe not in the game itself, but the devs did mention that plan.

As mentioned here:

- Command & Conquer as Service: The announced Command & Conquer will indeed be a whole C&C service platform that leverages the power of Frostbite 2. We will start by visiting the Generals universe as first content. Over a long period of time we ultimately want to visit the other great C&C Universes to become part of the platform.

The details on "Do i chose the universe on start" or "Can i play GDI vs Sowjets vs GLA" are not finalized yet - It's more of a rough idea - However, No exact details on the how itself.

Also, seek to 2:23 here for proof from JVC himself:

It had many names, but in truth, C&C 2013 and C&C F2P were just 'working titles," whereas Generals 2 was the actual name of the game.

I wish it were back when the shocker of the "Command & Conquer" being used came in 2012 :P But, be that as it may, it was the official name the service went with until the end.

In all official statements and news, as well as gaming media, it was referred to as "(the new) Command & Conquer" after 15 August 2012. That kinda shows what they were aiming at - creating a service of several games. As I said, the confusing part was that the alpha builds didn't have any reference to the Generals 2 name, at least not in plain sight.