Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

RedAlert++ Progress Update

JqZftay.png

We originally posted the announcement news of RedAlert++ back in September last year. RedAlert++ is an open source re-implementation of the Red Alert engine. Written from scratch in C++. It is a project to create an accurate re-implementation of the game engine used for the classic Westwood Studios RTS. Not be confused with OpenRA, a similar project. Progress has been slow, but the team have finally shown something new to the public. The terrain objects have been added to the game. You can see the full image right here. Learn more about RedAlert++ by visiting their official site.

I wonder if this will implement even the exclusive features from Iran's Portable RA (i.e. The Lost Files, skirmish saving ingame and custom missions).

C++ takes a lot of time to code in, particularly if you're making a Win32-capable application and not a console one (whereas C#, for instance, significantly speeds up visual program creation).

Slow they may be, but they seem very accurate. It's a team of two, they are doing it from scratch, and already they have an interface and a map display using Westwood's quirky formats. I honestly admire this.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

Reminds me of FreeCNC. Dead since many years, as most of these from scratch projects end up.

Sometimes we see exceptions such as OpenRA, I'm happily surprised that project has come very far.