Sign in to follow this  
Plok

Star Trek: Discovery

Copied from the Star Trek thread on Revora...

The new series that premiers in January 2017 is called Star Trek: Discovery, with the USS Discovery, NCC-1031, being the ship of choice. Honestly, it looks like a Constitution tried to mate with a Klingon D7 and ended in this... whatever this is.

In related news, I can't view the official promos on the official Star Trek YouTube channel. 2016 and we still have geolocking, ****ing great. Edited by Sonic

Looks interesting. If it pops up on NZ TV screens I will probably watch it. I have Next Generation, Voyager and Enterprise all on DVD and still rewatch them from time to time. So another TV series is most welcome.

The design of the new ship is clearly influenced by the Star Trek Phase II series from the late 1970's that never got produced.

QW2OPyk.jpgGXjg5PW.jpg201JJXv.jpg

Nice find Sonic, because everything in the trailer says Klingon. I remember reading the phase 2 hard-cover book years ago, but I don't remember anything in it.

I didn't know it was going to be on Netflix, I thought it was going to be exclusive cbs-usa-geo-locked thing.

That's great news.

I guess that explains why all the Star Trek shows just moved over to my Aussie Netflix account in the last month... ;)

@Sonic - I believe it will be a digital-exclusive, at least initially. In the USA and Canada, it will be viewed through CBS All Access, and Netflix in the majority of other countries (since it expanded last year). No true TV airing is planned for the original run, from what I've read.

That phase 2 original ship looks like its made of wood panels.

@Sonic - I believe it will be a digital-exclusive, at least initially. In the USA and Canada, it will be viewed through CBS All Access, and Netflix in the majority of other countries (since it expanded last year). No true TV airing is planned for the original run, from what I've read.

We have this channel here in NZ, The Zone https://www.sky.co.nz/the-zone

They seem pick up shows like this. Either way no rush anyway.

It will probably end up on Blu-Ray and DVD before it ever screens on TV here I guess.

Lame.

I'm tired of these ****ty prequels, first was Enterprise now this.

Ugh. Not so say I won't watch it. But I want to see all the cool characters from Voyager and DS9 and TNG again. And not watch them **** all over the lore because they can't be assed to look at the wiki.

Lame.

And not watch them **** all over the lore because they can't be assed to look at the wiki.

^this.

If they could find a way to cleverly work within the established lore prequels would be good... but almost all of them prove it should have been left to the imagination.

Also, have to correct myself.

In related news, I can't view the official promos on the official Star Trek YouTube channel. 2016 2017 and we still have geolocking, ****ing great.

While the series premiere is still months away, here's the first trailer of the rebooted TV show:

Once again like in Star Trek Voyager, the captain is a female but an Asian. Michelle Yeoh is back.

A version of the trailer everyone can watch...

So I'm guessing this Star Trek is set in the rebooted/alternate "Kelvin" timeline.

2 hours ago, Sonic said:

A version of the trailer everyone can watch...

Sadly, no :(

This is supposed to be in the Prime timeline not the Alternate timeline... but tv shows and their tv execs and canon rarely go together.

Just excited this is on netflix, so I can watch it in a reasonable time.

Official trailer is here:

For people in countries for which the official Star Trek channel doesn't give a shit about:

This is so non-Trek that even people who will torrent it will want their money back.

Anybody watched tonight's premiere? I thought the show was so-so.... more different than the recent Star Trek movies.

Seen the first 4 (or is it 5) episodes. The first 2(pilot) had me put off....those felt like some bad trekkie fan fiction writing...all holier-then-thou star fleet shit. But then it turned a bit darker and more intriguing from episode 3 when the discovery and its purpose was tipped off. Kind of committed myself to watching it now for the moment. Still feel the main character of Michael is utter crap. The actress isn't convincing either.  the captain of the discovery (the name escapes me atm) is interesting, way darker then previous star trek captains, i find it good that he breaks that generic good guy chain and is more practical and opportunistic in regards to the war backstory. the support cast for the most part give a good effort and their acting is more solid(for a ST tv-series anyway) then the main protagonist.

#notmystartrek

also if it's about Section 31 it would be okayish, if it's not it's a missed opportunity and utter crap.