Sign in to follow this  
Muhammad Ali

interpreting except.txt?

My mod has been crashing and there's no particular pattern (Vs AIs). I suspect it's got something to do with the Soviet AI but there's nothing that I can tell that could be the issue. It's used all of it's custom taskforces and carried out it's custom scripts with no issue but eventually it'll crash. Or not! Sometimes it'll crash after 35 minutes of gameplay or 2 minutes. It's completely random. My only hope is to look at the except.txt generated for every crash to figure what the hell is going on. Is there anyway I can interpret it or learn what the code means?

Not really. You'd need to decompile the executables to look for where the EIP is referenced. If you post the except, I can look at it.

Here ya go

Edit: Since this thing was annoying me so badly, I couldn't find answers, and people on other forums didn't respond, I ended up scrapping my beloved AIMD and started a new one. After a bit of modding (entirely different from the last aimd file) the crashes kept happening but a lot less often. I've had several matches with the (Soviet) AI before it occurs. When it does, it (usually) stops sending unit attack forces and just has it's infantry do it's guard/garrison loops for about 20-50 seconds, then Internal error appears. Is there something with Soviet AIs that simply wants to be very annoying?

All these had different EIPs and I don't know much about these debug files, so I was hoping you could tell me if they're entirely different reasons for crashing. (Mods use Ares)

except.txt

except.txt

except.txt

Edited by Muhammad Ali

Disassemble, not decompile :P

Though, the use of Ares does make it a lot more complex, since its purpose is to inject custom code into the game, meaning that if the crash happens in that custom code, there's no way to find it by looking at the standard YR executable. And there's really no way to look at the full picture you get after the injections; since those injections only happen after the game is already running.

Maybe the folks at the Ares project have better ways of debugging that kind of stuff...?

It's been around 15 days since I made a post there, no reply. I guess slow service is to be expected when nobody else except the developers themselves can read Ares' complex stuffs.

If it's just the Soviet AI, or seems that way, enable UseMinDefenseRule then make sure you have at least one defensive team.

The first posted one crashed outside the scope of the game. The second two are identical. However, I'm not entirely sure what's causing it to fail. It's around getting an activity state. Did you include anything odd in the AI scripts?

The DefenseRule was enabled and the minimum teams on 1. Also, sorry for the duplicate except, I should have checked. And no, nothing out of the ordinary. I did however, create only one of my own scripts which is active for the Medium soviet AI's Kirov attack. (Although all Soviet AIs have issues)

88=SCRIPT01-G

[sCRIPT01-G] ;No gather
Name=General Factory Attack
0=0,6
1=0,2
2=0,5
3=0,7
4=0,4
5=0,1
;6=0,1
Here's the latest except (not a duplicate I promise ;) ) and rules/ai INIs if they're any help

except.txt

rulesmd.txt

aimd.txt

Edited by Muhammad Ali

So only Soviet AIs cause the error? Did you reference a non-existent unit or link scripts/triggers/team types to something non-existent?

I checked up and down, no sign of it. There could be something right in my face and I'm just not seeing but...otherwise no

EDIT: Since I've gotten too far in my mod to scrap it and my family wouldn't like waiting a month for me to redo everything I've done, I decided to ignore the issue and keep on modding. Note that I haven't undone anything but only create new units and it has just stopped. No more crashing. Over about 20 hours of play time there have been 2 crashes in total with no particular patterns and nothing to do with the Soviet AI.

Ares is great but I feel like it can be similar to a teenage girl's emotions in terms of stability. With regular modding, crashing always seemed to have a reason and with Ares...there seems to be none

Edited by Muhammad Ali