Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Why I gave up Firefox for Opera

I used to love Firefox because it was a safe browser, but now things have changed for the worst. Unless you have a very fast Internet connection (100 mbps and above) and a very fast PC (not on a laptop or tablet) and you are on Windows XP even on a slow PC, Firefox will run very slowly and use up more RAM, even on a portable version or on a Wi-Fi connection. As of now, recent versions of Firefox are highly not recommended for slow PCs (including tablets and laptops) and with slow connections (from my perspective). Even after version 50, still nothing significantly new has changed to make Firefox act like Chrome, Opera and now Microsoft Edge.... not even close.

Disappointed with the slow frame-rates in Tiberium Alliances, I had to use Chrome.

Disappointed with the slow loading rate of sites along with Flash/Java issues, I had to use Opera for now. Opera runs as fast as Chrome but unlike Chrome, there's no stupid hidden spyware when installed, thus making Opera safer than Chrome. Even with some plug-ins installed, there's no increase of lag and performance loss in Chrome and Opera, but Firefox does.

The recent versions of Firefox reminds me of the years of a very slow McAfee and even Norton Antivirus/Internet Security 2008 and older versions where it uses up system resources and runs slow on scans.

Thus those reasons are why I gave up Firefox for Opera.

Unless Mozilla finds a way to make Firefox faster and more reliable, I had to say pretty soon it's rest in peace Firefox.

but now things have changed for the worst.

#KotakuGaga27

and a very fast PC (not on a laptop or tablet)

Windows 10 laptop here, Firefox is a-okay (except for long loading times caused by my maniacal bookmarking).

Disappointed with the slow frame-rates in Tiberium Alliances, I had to use Chrome.

The TA framerate (at least on Firefox?) has been **** since the closed alpha.

Even after version 50, still nothing significantly new has changed to make Firefox act like Chrome, Opera and now Microsoft Edge.... not even close.

And what's your criteria for "acting like Chrome"?

Disappointed with the slow loading rate of sites along with Flash/Java issues

Who uses those still?

Who uses those still?

Yeah plugins are wasteful, I don't use them. Some people insist on using ad-blockers to increase page-load performance but I think you're better off to disable third-party cookies and automatically clean your cache upon exit. If you want good performance on the web you can disable Javascript while you browse news sites and stuff - Disqus comment sections are disabled if Javascript is disabled, and most comment sections are garbage anyway so it's a bonus to block them. I'm not sure if it's possible to disable Javascript in Firefox unless you install No Script. Simply disable scripts universally and WHOOSH! Any browser can be good.

I'm typically on a Windows 10 laptop with an i-3 processor (only 3MB of level 3 cache, every other level of cache is in the kilobytes). The other problem is that the clock-speed on this laptop is 1.70ghz which is awful. The internet usually works really well, so long as I have telemetry and crash reports disabled. I don't know which browser I like the most - I hate them all. I always change my mind on browsers and operating systems. If you want to try something really crazy, then run Debian in a virtual environment and install the Lynx Browser (text only). It's great for reading CNN because it doesn't auto-load videos - no graphics, you see! :D

Atm I use Vivaldi, it's an Opera offshoot which is a lot more customizable.

Edited by Lauren

I use Firefox ESR 64-bit on my main tower and Firefox Mobile on my phone and tablet. I don't have any speed issues. I have to restart it once and a while, but short of that, no issues at all.

I left Firefox for Pale Moon and can't complain.

While it's a fast browser that uses less resources, Pale Moon uses outdated Firefox materials (similar to Firefox 20 back then), uses flash instead of HTML5 and most plug-ins are incompatible.

While it's a fast browser that uses less resources, Pale Moon uses outdated Firefox materials (similar to Firefox 20 back then), uses flash instead of HTML5 and most plug-ins are incompatible.

Pale Moon uses HTML5. I'm using it right now. As for plugins, the ones I use are compatible. I don't us many, though.

I'm sick of FF, but not enough to research an alternative. I guess it must be doing okay then... at least for me.

I'm using Firefox with the "Yes Script" plugin, it's simpler than No Script. In YES you simply "blacklist" a website with a single click and then I think refresh the page and it blocks all scripts (including on return visits). Be default, javascript is allowed. But you can blacklist CNN and anything equally obnoxious, then those websites will load faster.

I've been using Firefox for many years. Zero problems. Its always fast, sites load quick and my PC specs are far from cutting edge. Gave up caring about whatever version Firefox is up to ages ago, its version number is basically meaningless anyway.

With that said, I've been using Microsoft Edge sometimes, works rather good for what I need.

Safari. Used IE / Edge for some time, but since i bought MacBook i moved to Apple's internet browser.

Safari is absolute garbage.

It's your opinion. I only use uBlock, WOT and Ghostery and what Safari provides for me is utterly sufficient.

Edited by Traymen

but since i bought MacBook

....but why?

Edge is not bad. It takes forever to clear its cache though, so I unselect some boxes and only remove cookies, cache and history; no need to check media licenses or other unimportant stuff. It clears fast now. Edge will throw off a few new users because it doesn't have a full-screen mode for the browser itself (though oddly you can "full screen" a video or a browser application) and you cannot save web pages in Edge. It's a good backup browser, when you're sick of other products.

I suppose that screen shots have largely replaced the need to save a page.

I suppose that screen shots have largely replaced the need to save a page.

If you have a bunch of images on a page you want to save, just save the page and they are in a folder a second later. Way more convenient than screenshots or using a downloader.

I've mainly been using Firefox version 50, and version 50.0.1 and I've found that Edge loads Twitter a lot faster. Over the past few months I've been thinking "why is Twitter so crap on a PC?" but really, it's just a bad version of Firefox. Lessons from using Linux: the newest version isn't always the best ;)