Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Windows 10 Game Mode

It's a bit late for this feature since Iobit's Game Booster had this sort of idea years ago and I have been using that app ever since for 32-bit gaming. Windows 7 would have benefited this a whole lot in 2009.

Articles:

http://pcworld.com/article/3161918/software-games/how-windows-10s-game-mode-will-make-your-pc-games-run-better.html

http://pcworld.com/article/3161745/windows/pc-gaming-is-the-focus-as-microsoft-pushes-game-mode-beam-game-settings-to-insiders.html

http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-explains-how-windows-10-game-mode-will-improve-performance-in-uwp-and-win32-games/

There'll probably be little effect for 64-bit, 3D and Virtual Reality games, other than the mentioned 32-bit gaming.

Edited by PurpleGaga27

Allocating resources to specific tasks sounds like a good idea, but I doubt that this will have a great impact (and the article mentions a 2-5% increase). In my experience, the vast majority of games just can't utilise the resources they have properly. I played some Act of Aggression recently, and it's amazing how optimised that game is compared to other titles. Even with a lot of stuff going on, I get 90FPS+ in 1080p and 60FPS in 1440p, which is way better than the performance of, say, Starcraft II.

Unless you have a toaster, you don't really need this. I use Windows 10 and nothing slows my games down. I can play Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 completely maxed out at 1080p and get more than 60 FPS at all times. And that's with a bunch of bull**** running in the background. In fairness, I do have an i7 4790K, 32 gigs of RAM and a 1070 8GB. xD

Really, this just isn't needed unless you have low end specs or outdated specs. A Core i3 or any quad core AMD and 6 gigs of RAM for example. If you have an Intel quad or an AMD six-core or better with 8 gigs of RAM plus, there's no need for this.

purple win32 has nothing to do with 32 or 64 bit.

What's the point in saying that if you're not going to explain it in your post? :mellow:

What else does 32 mean?

OK that makes sense, in Visual Studio they have "universal windows app" ... "windows form app" ... "windows phone app" and I think, win32 app. I don't care to know what it is precisely. win32 is a developer's term and I'll hear enough about it in 4 weeks when the course starts. End of mystery.

Back on topic ... Pro-tip: get a SATA III solid state drive to improve your game speed, not fancy optimisation software. I was a little bit bummed out to discover that my desktop PC from 2 years ago has a mechanical hard drive but apparently they cost more back then, they're cheaper now. Approximately one day's wages in my currency, that will buy you a low capacity drive, perhaps not the most reliable one though.

Actually I found out Win10 runs slower on a SATA II and even a SATA III hard drive than with a SATA solid-state drive.

Try a pcie ssd. Much faster than anything sata can do.

Also loading data isn't everything. There's actually next to no gain for many games but for some loading screens which are here and there.

"I was a little bit bummed out to discover" Seriously? You buy a pc and have no idea what's in it?

Also @Doctor Destiny it's obvious, a single hdd cannot even nearly reach the limit of sata's bandwidth. A ssd can. So he is basically right, but still stupid for even making the comment.

Edited by Lauren

"boot disk hacking skills" lulz

Being able to edit config.sys and autoexec.bat without making DOS or Windows 3.1 crash is actually quite impressive. Those systems are very temperamental so the slightest misstep will give you an unusable OS until you fix it. Saying boot disk hacking skills is kinda stupid but the skill behind it is not.

Seriously, it's not like they had hundreds of cryptic lines in them. I was < 10 years old at the time and I modified these files to optimize for some games. I'm not even a native English speaker (didn't learn English in school until I was ~12). Memorizing a few lines and what they do which even a <10 year old can is not really a skill.