Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Lighter Colours & No More Blue / Black Themes

Lighter Colours & No More Blue / Black Themes  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Lighter Colours for the site & forums?

• A new lighter theme would be great
    • Stick with the blue/black combo

As some of you are aware we are privately testing new forums for the site. The progress is slow due a few things like real life commitments and unfamiliarity of what I'm working with. During the testing I've been thinking, researching and checking out other sites for ideas and I'm starting to lean towards a move to a lighter theme for both the main site and forums. The more I think about it I feel this is best way to approach things. I know the blue themes are traditional, people like them, but after 10+ years (maybe more) a change is needed. Looking at lot of other gaming site the trend light colours and I want to push CNCNZ.com into a new era.

I would like to know what you guys think of CNCNZ.com going lighter? I would of course be redesigning the CNCNZ.com logo as well. A new look logo with a new font style etc....

So it would be an completely all new look and feel.

Nothing is confirmed just yet, just filling you all in on the ideas and see what you guys think.

I think the dark blue and black is good for a gaming forum - Steam is dark too. I think dark websites are fine for gaming forums; light websites are great if you're a law firm or you're selling interior design ^_^

You could try going lighter but then you'd be doing what lots of other websites are doing, using light silver-greys, lots of white, and a tiny bit of light blue (but never light blue as a background colour, lest it look queer on the wrong screen)

I prefer a darker theme. Tradition and what everyone else is doing are both meaningless to me, it's just my personal preference.

I would like the forum theme stay where it is for now.

I know the blue themes are traditional, people like them, but after 10+ years (maybe more) a change is needed. Looking at lot of other gaming site the trend light colours and I want to push CNCNZ.com into a new era.

On the specific point about moving CNCNZ into a new era, I don't see a new era, not for C&C anyway. Keep it old skool I reckon. The only forum change should be the layout and software version, in my opinion. Colour schemes are a minor detail compared to layout and spacing.

What if the colours went from all of these blues to darker greys with only hints of blues? It will still be a dark theme just not all white and bright.

Hints of blue is good, I like the idea of some blue. Right now ... since I thought about it, I see there's blue for "Posted Today, xx:xx PM" text, and also blue for the quote background, and for the background of the main column. Then there's another blue for the sides of the website. Perhaps the sides could be a dark grey, the same (or similar) grey as the edge of the text box where you type a post. The darkest blue could remain for the centre column and quoted text. Then you've got the more colourful colour in focus (a bit of blue in the centre region) and the really dark grey on the edges of the screen, that would make sense for focus, viewers will naturally ignore the darker outer regions. A dark charcoal grey is good, the default GNOME 3 desktop in Linux uses heaps of black and dark grey shades.

Image: Here's the GNOME 3 desktop

Edited by jeffnz

I'm really liking this one....

jsjiITA.jpg

Once it has a CNCNZ.com logo on it I think it will look part :thumbsup:

That looks really good, I like the diagonal texture on the background, it looks like metal. I first noticed the texture under the word "forums" then realised it was the background of the page, with "blocks" covering most of the screen (though with spacing around each block item, to reveal parts of the texture). That's clever. I'm going to steal that idea for future projects.

BTW... Sonic can you post some links of other sites that talk about what you mean... rather than wasting time with a mock up?

That template reminds me of the official C&C forums back then when that forum has a theme almost like that.

BTW... Sonic can you post some links of other sites that talk about what you mean... rather than wasting time with a mock up?

No point in doing that since no wants the lighter colours.

That template reminds me of the official C&C forums back then when that forum has a theme almost like that.

The one you see above will not be used now. Found a different one that I think looks better, its dark of course but offers more in terms of customisation.