Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Some developer paying modders $4000 a month to complete mods

Too bad neither EA, Activision Blizzard, Square Enix and Take2K pay modders real money to do real mods and have their mods released as official DLCs. Valve and Bethesda used to do that but not anymore, until a developer of Ark: Survival Evolved decided to compensate modders $4000 USD a month to do their mods (from a limited selection): http://www.pcgamer.com/ark-survival-evolved-developer-will-pay-modders-4000-per-month-to-complete-their-mods

Edited by PurpleGaga27
  • Downvote 4

Even as of now, I think I should deserve some money

• Upvote 1

I think I should deserve some money

Anything you want should be free, anything you do should be compensated... Your unbridled sense of entitlement knows no bounds. :no:

Actually, what you deserve is -1 reputation point. Congratulations, the second ever -1 I've given someone.

• Upvote 1

I +1'd the -1. You're ridiculously entitled.

My final words.... I think it's absolutely stupid for a developer or studio to pay someone to make mods whether there's quality or not, even if an idea is great. Most mods are free and modders don't get paid. People paying to modders can make "add-on mods" to be paid by the player(s) if the modders want to.

The next time I hear about a mod to an original game going on sale that's a DLC not created by the original developer, it's totally unacceptable. I cannot imagine any player can make money out of a mod that can sell, except Indies.

Only a few times there are some crazy people in Moddb wanting to donate some money to my mods and I did not want to accept them. Therefore the thread I posted has reached the end of the line, end of discussion.

And what if, say, a modder create a new tank model for their favourite RTS? Or the developers commissions a third party to create a new tank model for their RTS? There's not much difference here. Selling a mod that used to be free, maybe, but just hiring guys to do work?

"Not created by the original developer" is a broad statement. Many, many studios don't have people or manpowers for everything and commission art, animations, model, music, and other stuff all the time.

E.g. Eugen (the developers of AoA and War Game) doesn't do any art in-house. Or - since this is a C&C forums - Counterstrike for RA1, which IIRC was made by a British studio, not by Westwood.

And what if, say, a modder create a new tank model for their favourite RTS? Or the developers commissions a third party to create a new tank model for their RTS? There's not much difference here.

There's a very big difference - the former is just a modder doing it for his own fun and/or the fun of other people, and is not sanctioned by the developers or publishers of the game. If the developers commission a third party to create something, then that third party, in its small way, also becomes the developer. The former must never be sold (as per the EULA), and the latter has to be because it's basically outsourcing.

But in this case, it just seems to be the latter. I don't think there's a general issue with that.