Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Goodbye Firefox, Hello Chrome

After many years it is time to say goodbye to Firefox. For me, the once speedy browser has become slow and generally rubbish to use. So I've made the change to Google Chrome which syncs with my phone so that handy. Will still keep Firefox installed for testing purposes when working on stuff for the site but that's about it.

• Downvote 1

Firefox still runs fine for me, it has all my addons that I use, most of which aren't available on something like Chrome.

• Upvote 1

It's become slow for me too, but I'm not changing it for Google's stuff if I can help it. I hate its UI as well.

• Upvote 1

Opera is one that I don't hear about often, I'm using it now on both of my Windows 10 computers. After about a week I've had no issue with Opera and they have an ad-blocker built in which blocks everything by default (once you tick the box to enable it). That's better than the Chrome extension that I tried using a few weeks ago, where it allowed ads by default, so every page I went to I'd block ads and have to reload, then probably never visit the website again :rolleyes:

Opera is worth trying. I think Mozilla and Google assume their users to be stupid. Both companies rush to implement Javascript and HTML5 features that no-one needs, which slows things down. Opera is good I recommend it. Edge seems to have fixed some bugs lately, and introduced new ones. Edge mysteriously stopped working on my laptop a few days ago - it won't load ANY pages. Internet Explorer works fine on that same computer, and IE is good if you're loading Outlook in your browser. Edge still works on my desktop PC. Windows 10 is so weird, I get a bug in the start screen where some of my applications don't load their icon, just a blank blue square. I looked up the problem and some people report having it as far back as 2015 so yeeeeah it isn't fixed yet.

I started to use Opera after I suspected a bug in Chrome and Firefox: I was trying to enter my initials from my credit card, into the bus website to top up my bus card and it wouldn't accept any characters. So I installed Opera. It turns out I was trying to enter characters in the card number field but I was too stupid to see the obvious, despite doing it correctly every other day ^_^ ......... it was worth discovering Opera though.

Both companies rush to implement Javascript and HTML5 features that no-one needs, which slows things down.

Do you know the difference between feature support and poorly written website code?

I hate its UI as well.

The Firefox and Chrome UI are basically the same... well at least to me they are anyway.

jeffnz: the new Opera is just a Chromium derivative. Since theyjust started over from the Chromium engine, the new Opera has none of the things that made Opera 12 a great browser.

This isn't the first time I heard someone saying this. I still use Firefox 49 only to play Tiberium Alliances because it still works without any crashes rather than the non-stable Chrome 47 in which most players recommended that browser to play on. I also still use Firefox in Windows XP because it runs better in XP than recent versions of Windows.

Last time I mentioned why I gave up Firefox for Opera not long ago, and I use it for both Windows 7 and 10: http://forums.cncnz.com/topic/20337-why-i-gave-up-firefox-for-opera/?hl=opera

jeffnz: the new Opera is just a Chromium derivative. Since theyjust started over from the Chromium engine, the new Opera has none of the things that made Opera 12 a great browser.

I read that it was based on Chromium and I went "huh". I had never heard that before so it must be a new thing ;)