Sign in to follow this  
Plok

Throwback Thursday for 16th March

ZpsvLbm.jpg

In this week's Throwback Thursday, we continue with the "Ladies of C&C" series. Oxanna Kristos from C&C Tiberian Sun, played by Monika Schnarre, brought the "Nod blonde" trope to the Tiberium universe, which was started by Nadia Zelenkov from the first Red Alert. During Nod's trying times, Oxanna infiltrated Hassan's propaganda machine, seen in her involvement in the morbid "Today's Execution" live television show. However, she remained loyal to the Black Hand and Kane himself, rescuing Anton Slavik from his death sentence and joining him on the Montauk. She was as ruthless as she was seductive, showing contempt for the Forgotten, causing Jake McNeil to defect to Nod, and even killing her former TV colleague on air.

Remember, you can click on the preview to see a larger and more detailed image. Don't forget to check out the Throwback Thursdays archives if you've missed a week. Check back again next Thursday for another Throwback. Send in your ideas for future instalments. We also encourage you to share this on social media using the hash tags #ThrowbackThursday, #CnCTBT and #CNCNZTBT.

I read this the other day and didn't have anything to say, then I had some thoughts.

Nyerguds posted this video a while ago which shows Joe Kucan talking about Red Alert 1 scenes and how Westwood didn't want to have "shrinking violet" characters who needed to be saved. If an academic nerd with a PHD was to analyse characters in Tiberian Sun, they would conclude that Oxanna Kristos was "oppressed" because she is only lieutenant, while Slavic (a male) is commander. From my perspective Oxanna and Slavic were equal because in The Brotherhood of NOD people aren't valued by rank alone, but by loyalty. This is why I can't help but puke when a CEO/director at EA Games comes out to tell us that they want more "diversity" in games. My response will always be: "but didn't we have good female characters before the Social Justice Warriors tried to take over society?" Westwood did a good job of its female characters, without needing to brag about it in media interviews or press statements. There was no attention seeking or "virtue signalling" by Westwood. They didn't need a pat on the back they just knew that the characters in the games would have to be good.

The most massive and disgusting companies on Earth are happy to preach their "equality" talks as if it was a new thing ... but having decent female characters in games or theatre isn't new. Tosca has a good female character who is abducted and manipulated by an evil baron (Scarpia) who Floria Tosca then kills (in Act II) ......... note that Tosca is at least 100 years old. It's interesting to note that in Tiberian Sun, the NOD campaign (if I remember right) is called "Act II" which suggests Joe Kucan or another staff member is a fan of opera and theatre. I recommend that you guys watch Tosca because it's really good, at least in my opinion :P you'll either love it or you'll hate it! Look up "Tosca 2001" on any search engine and you'll find references to Benoit Jacquot's 2001 DVD of Tosca. Umagon is totally based on Floria Tosca :) here is a video of her

in his Pyramid, preventing the launch of his Tiberium missile.
  • Downvote 1

If an academic nerd with a PHD was to analyse characters in Tiberian Sun, they would conclude that Oxanna Kristos was "oppressed" because she is only lieutenant, while Slavic (a male) is commander.

So you, someone who is unable/unwilling to get an academic degree, decide to equate everyone with an actual PhD in absolutely anything in an SJW trope? That's pathetic as ****, yet predictable.

A person can get a degree and write thousands of pages and still be wrong. If you've ever worked for a large company and tried explaining a practical matter to the corporate bosses, you'll know what I mean.

Those things don't nearly have a 100% correlation, which is something you would have known if you took an educational choice that's actually worth a damn.

That sounds like the words of an educated person ;)

Are you a doctor of physics or a doctor of medicine? ^_^