Sign in to follow this  
jeffnz

Windows Vista will no longer receive security patches from April 2017

Via Slashdot:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3180571/windows/windows-vista-has-just-30-days-to-live.html

Through Microsoft Virtual Academy I learned that Xbox One shares a common kernel with Windows 8, so really the only Windows you should be running is 8 or 10: everything else uses an older kernel and is likely to be killed off. Also interesting to note that Firefox does not support Vista. Do you still have an old PC running Vista?

I used to have Windows Vista running on my Lenovo PC several years ago until I upgraded it to Windows 10. A great OS for its better design (better than the pathetic Windows 10 design) but decent performance for processing tasks and booting. I already gave up on Vista once Windows 7 came out back then.

Through Microsoft Virtual Academy I learned that Xbox One shares a common kernel with Windows 8

Not entirely true. Xbox One shares it with Windows 10 more, as that's the foundation of merging the operating systems on computers, Xbox consoles and Windows Phones.

so really the only Windows you should be running is 8 or 10: everything else uses an older kernel and is likely to be killed off.

What if I told you everything will eventually be killed off? What if I told you the UWP doesn't mean jack **** to users of Windows 7, or pretty much anyone not intent on getting Halo Wars 2 and ReCore on a non-Xbox One platform?

Windows 7 still reigns supreme! :D

Who the **** still uses Vista? I thought support was dropped for it ages ago.

I learned that Xbox One shares a common kernel with Windows 8

The original launch Xbox One did, asystem update arrived early last year that upgraded it to Windows 10 at the core.

Windows 7 still reigns supreme! :D

If you like Windows 7 you should have no trouble adjusting to Windows 10.

Edited by Sonic
Fixed a silly typo

If you like Windows 7 you should have trouble adjusting to Windows 10.

Did you mean to say "no trouble"?

Oops yeah. Something any version of Windows can't fix, my stupid typos ;)

Pah Windows 10. Windows 7 forever! Or until I build a new computer. :)