Sonic

IPS4 Various Forum Changes / Updates / Additions

I had a topic like this that I started at the time of our last major from transition. As I've mentioned, I'm still tidying up and fixing colours around the forum theme. So I will keep a running list here of changes I make (from today). It's mostly for me so I don't loose track of what I'm working on.

Also look out for another topic that I will be posting soon to highlight some of the cool new features we have on this version of IPS. There is all sorts of quirky little things that you may not have discovered yet ;)

Items Fixed/Changed/Added

• Fixed many of the blue link styles, removed underline formatting.
  • Changed the emoticon icon in the chatbox, it's no longer the big ugly yellow icon.
  • Unread content should now display as bold text.
  • Made the small pagination in forum view (1 2 3 4 5 etc....) easier to read. They will highlight when you hover over the row.
  • Fixed reputation point counter box.
  • You should see a bit more separation in forum and topic view. Basically darkened the line the provides the separation.
  • Fixed the C&C Profile Icons. You will have edit your profile and reselect your favorite game though.
  • Added dark border to quoted text boxes.
  • Change the tag colours to a lighter grey.
  • Restored bottom banner ad.
  • Moved "Leaderboard" and "Chatbox" menu links to "Browse" submenu.
  • One small change to the how the Post Editor works when you press the ENTER key. It will now start a new paragraph as the default action. If you want to the cursor to move to the next line (as in not start a new paragraph) simple press SHIFT + ENTER.
  • Fixed the Post Editor colours. Especially for the tag entry field. Text is now readable when you enter the name of a C&C game. All C&C games have been stored in the tag system. So just start typing a name of a C&C game and the correct one will pop up in drop down menu.
  • Fixed colours for the small reputation counters on each post.
  • Removed the white backgrounds from avatar images that have transparency.
  • Fixed a bug that prevent user hovercards from displaying on certain text links.
  • Made some layout changes to the main index. Member Stats, Forum Stats, Who's Online are now on the right sidebar.
  • Added the Popular Contributors section to the right sidebar.
  • New look rank system set up. More details here.
  • Changed the colour of text in some areas from white to a shade of grey. Mostly on the main forum index and the text inside the Post Editor.

To Do List

• New look for CNCNZ.com team badges.

Current Bugs

• If you share a link to another topic or post in your current post a preview box will display, The box is mostly unreadable though. Until this can be fixed please click the "Your link has been automatically embedded. Display as a link instead" prompt that appears at the bottom of the Post Editor box.
Edited by Sonic

Fixed the C&C Profile Icons. You will have edit your profile and reselect  your favorite game though.

It would be better for users not to show reputation points in posts except when looking at the user's profile.

Also I would like to re-issue the reputation system with your staff, Sonic. It's time. I am not the only one here feeling pissed off.

35 minutes ago, PurpleGaga27 said:

I am not the only one here feeling pissed off.

You pretty much are, but you've only got yourself to blame.

We are happy with the reputation system as it is now. Its the same as was before the upgrade. I personally don't use it on any forum I visit. If I don't like something someone has posted I don't care and don't usually have any comments to make. Have you noticed I don't reply to anything in the news forum? Anyway, the reputation system is fine. @Nmenth has already explained this in another topic. No one else has complain to us about it.

I have noticed the "Sign in anonymously" setting does not seem to be preserved if one leaves the site.

Edit: I'm not sure what specifically causes it to forget it, apparently just going to a different site or closing my browser doesn't seem to do it (at least not consistently). Possibly it only happens when I put my computer to sleep.

Well I signed in anonymously but I don't see any difference as being signed in in the normal. How are you testing this?

At the bottom of the main index, where it lists active members, the anonymous members listed 0 when it should have been at least 1. Also, when looking at the online list, anonymous users show as faded with an eyeball icon.

Update: Definitely seems to be somehow connected to when I put my computer to sleep. After waking it up again, it showed me as anonymous when I refreshed the forums, but after looking at a topic and then going back to the main index, I was no longer anonymous.

More small changes

• Added dark border to quoted text boxes
  • Change the tag colours to a lighter grey
  • Restored bottom banner ad
  • Moved "Leaderboard" and "Chatbox" menu links to "Browse" submenu

You also chose Surface Dark theme?

I have indeed. I went through a lot of different themes on the IPS Marketplace and decided to that Surface Dark looked the best. But as you can see, I've been slowly chipping away and changing many things anyway.

• Upvote 1

Woah. Sleek!

It's a shame that the bbcode editor is gone though. I like bbcode; it's reliable and doesn't ever mess up in weird ways like WYSIWYG rich text editors tend to do.

(Also the legacy mode actually made this site into a handy way to convert large amounts of rich text to BBCode, something I (ab)used for content on a storywriting website I'm on :P)

I kind of wonder why they bother with a preview function, though.... by definition, WYSIWYG means your final result is the same as the editing mode.

I have found that you can still use BBCode and it converts it when you publish the post. So preview does do something, but only if you refuse to conform to the dumbed-down way of doing things like myself.

Unfortunately I was using it to convert to bbcode, not from, lol.

Yeah, I got that, I was just replying to the preview part of what you said.

Is there a reason why I cant seem to reply to topics in the Command & Conquer News forum anymore? Theres a "start new thread" button, but there seems no way to add a reply to an existing thread :S

You don't see a Reply To This Thread box below the last post in each news thread, or is it just the reply button on the top missing?

On 28/03/2017 at 6:59 AM, Stygs said:

Is there a reason why I cant seem to reply to topics in the Command & Conquer News forum anymore? Theres a "start new thread" button, but there seems no way to add a reply to an existing thread :S

Sorry about that. Looks like the permissions for that forum got a bit messed up during the upgrade. They are all fixed now though. Members can only view and reply to topics in the Command & Conquer News forum. You should now see the reply button and the quick reply box at the bottom of the page.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Sonic said:

Looks like the permissions for that forum got a bit messed up during the upgrade.

we had the exact same problems ;) 

It takes a little time to master IPS. But it is much more powerful than IPB.

One small change to the how the Post Editor works when you press the ENTER key. It will now start a new paragraph as the default action. If you want to the cursor to move to the next line (as in not start a new paragraph) simply press SHIFT + ENTER.

Haven't tried becaused to be honest I don't think Metacafe embedding support is required. Chances are you will find the same video on YouTube anyway.

For furture frefernce this is what you can share/embed....

• College Humor
  • Facebook
  • Flickr
  • Gfycat
  • Google+
  • Hulu
  • Instagram
  • SoundCloud
  • Spotify
  • Ted
  • Twitter
  • Vimeo
  • Vine
  • YouTube
  • Plus internal links to content within the actual forums

This is what IPS have built into the forum software.

Just a few fixes to mention.

• Fixed the Post Editor colours. Especially for the tag entry field. Text is now readable when you enter the name of a C&C game. All C&C games have been stored in the tag system. So just start typing a name of a C&C game and the correct one will pop up in drop down menu
  • Fixed colours for the small reputation counters on each post
  • Removed the white backgrounds from avatar images that have transparency
  • Fixed a bug that prevent user hovercards from displaying on certain text links

I keep chipping away at stuff, so some more changes....

• Made some layout changes to the main index. Member Stats, Forum Stats, Who's Online are now on the right sidebar.
  • Added the Popular Contributors section to the right sidebar.

Looks good, uses the available side space instead of the overtaxed vertical space.

Just one thing, the member groups list beneath Who's Online looks messy. Could it be put into two columns?