Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Blizzard Announces StarCraft: Remastered

The main website at http://starcraft.com and the trailer leave out the most important parts of it all (because of course it does) - it will be compatible with the standard StarCraft/Brood War, and both will receive patches simultaneously. The old version will be free as of Thursday, 30th of March, when patch 1.18a rolls out (which is why StarCraft Anthology currently reads as "sold out" on Blizzard's store). Only the Remastered version will be purchasable.

As soon as I read this was official and not some fanboy rambling, I immediately had a red flag waving in my head, and had to look on all places except the main website to get the full picture and welcome it instead.

Well it took about 20 years to finally get the original Starcraft to be free to download.

But meh for the remastered version, I already played the remake version as a Starcraft II mod named Starcraft: Mass Recall, which had 3D graphics and 3D cinematics.

On another off-topic:

Isn't it about time C&C95 and C&C Red Alert get a remastered free version using OpenRA?

Edited by PurpleGaga27

2 minutes ago, PurpleGaga27 said:

Isn't it about time C&C95 and C&C Red Alert get a remastered free version using OpenRA?

That's unnecessary (as are remasters in general), but if you really really really want RA1 but shinier, download The Red Alert mod.

I saw this earlier. I love the original game so I'm definitely going to pick this up. Experiencing that powerful story with new visuals will be fantastic.

There is, however, a twist. They'll be re-recording the voiceovers.

Finally!

Will mention this on The Ultimate Free-to-play Games List. ;)

When I first ran the 1.18 version of the game, I get an error saying that wintrust.dll cannot be found. However the game does run, under the condition in the properties of that shortcut, the use of any old Windows compatibility is not needed under Windows 7 and above versions due to recent Windows support of the old game.

Edited by PurpleGaga27

I love the idea of a remastered Starcraft, and I totally don't find this or the idea of a C&C or RA1 remaster unnecessary.
Every mod tries to enhance the game, I just want the vanilla gameplay with a modern interface.

Update the skins, resolution, redo the cgi cutscene, enable the LAN... and you'll probably have a bigger seller than C&C4:TT!

I can't wait to replay this SC:R.

On 2017-4-20 at 3:35 PM, Gben said:

I love the idea of a remastered Starcraft, and I totally don't find this or the idea of a C&C or RA1 remaster unnecessary.

Hope you guys don't mind going a bit off-topic here. This is something I wanted to discuss for quite a while: do you think that when porting C&C to Mac (which was the first version to use hi-res graphics that later on became C&C Gold), Westwood should have gone the Blizzard way? Before C&C, Blizzard ported Warcraft: Orcs & Humans to Macintosh, and updated all the graphics for the SVGA 640x480 resolution:

756741-warcraft-orcs-humans-macintosh-sc

The graphics are not perfect (the artists did not have a lot of time to redraw everything in double the resolution plus correct aspect ratio) but the result is very similar to Warcraft II.

Conversely, Westwood used the same graphics for everything except the GUI, resulting in an increased field of view but reduced size of everything in the game. Additionally no effort was made to correct the aspect ratio other than by the way of stretching the signal on a 4:3 screen, and an option exists to run C&C Gold and RA in 640x480 mode with only a 640x400 portion of the screen being used (and everything except the GUI having incorrect aspect ratio).

Personally I think Westwood should've taken the Blizzard route and produced high-res graphics while maintaining the view of the DOS version. I suppose they still had the models from which in-game sprites were pre-rendered by the time RA and C&C Gold were developed to create accurate assets in high resolution.

(On a side note, the interview by TeamLiquid suggests that the new StarCraft sprites were redrawn manually)

Every port should be done from scratch to take into account the nuances and capabilities of the host system. (ignoring cost and cash cow implications.)

To be honest, that Mac screenshot looks like someone just took the DOS version, enlarged the image and put an aqua colour filter over it.