n97kurmi

Kane's Wrath is slow

Ok so after having problems with the steam version of C&C3 and Kane's wrath i decided to buy the Ultimate collector's edition of Command and conquer games. I installed all of the games and then downloaded the launcher mod and Tiberium essence for C&C3 and gave it a spin. It works well on Ultra settings and at Full FPS. But then comes Kane's wrath. I start playing the first mission at same Settings as C&C3. The Game is slow it moves at a snail pace. I tried one of the skirmish maps and it was also painfully slow. What is going on?

My computer can run Red alert 3 and C&C3 on full settings at full speed.

It can run Battlefield 1 at a Medium settings on playable speed.

And I can play Company of Heroes 2 at full settings at playable speed.

I even went for game debates page to test my computer on how would it play.

Unsuprisingly my computer should be able to run the game without any problems.

Can some one help?

PC specs:

Intel Core I5-4210H 2.90GHz

Windows 10 64bit

Nvidia Geforce GTX 860m

8GB RAM

DirectX 12

Kane's wrath 1.02

Edited by n97kurmi

Perhaps trying the compatibility settings and running Kane's Wrath as as older version of Windows. Of course with Windows 10 you can only go back as far as Windows Vista.

27 minutes ago, Sonic said:

Of course with Windows 10 you can only go back as far as Windows Vista.

Only when trying to do so with 64-bit applications. C&C games are 32-bit.

1 hour ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

Only when trying to do so with 64-bit applications. C&C games are 32-bit.

Oh wow, I was not aware of that. I don't have any C&C games installed (well any games installed at all) to check these things.

OK yeah my Compatibility goes with at the lowest to Windows 95 so anyway the game works thorugh origin is do i only make the Compatibility changes on the C&C3 launcher that you can use to start up  both or do you I have to change the KW launcher's compatibility.

(I have aleready tried some but there seems to be no effect.

Good news i have found a solution to my problem.

Edited by n97kurmi

Thats great. But it helps if you post what you did so other people who have the same or similar problems can benefit from it as well.

Actually it was something i found from steam but it could be applied for the origin files too. You see I have an Nvidia Geforce GTX 860M as a graphics card and the executable that runs the KW is a ".dat" extension and Uprising has ".game" file extension. The GTX 860M needs an ".exe" file extension otherwise it can't recognize the executable  that runs the game even if the LAUNCHER is an ".exe". This means that when the game runs it uses the graphics card integrated into the processor which is an inferior compared to the 860M.

So the way you fix this is as follows

RA3:U: 

Go to- C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Command and Conquer Red Alert 3\Red Alert 3 Uprising\Data

There should be a file titled: ra3ep1_1.0.game that is the executable that runs the game now ad ".exe" at the end so that it says (ra3ep1_1.0.game.exe)

KW:

Go to- C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Command and Conquer 3 TW and KW\Command Conquer 3 Kanes Wrath\RetailExe\1.2

Now there is a file titled cnc3ep1.dat like before ad the .exe at the end. (cnc3ep1.dat.exe) repeat the Nvidia control panel part and run the game

BOTH:

Next R-click your desktop and choose NVIDIA control panel from the menu, then click "Manage 3d settings", click the "program settings" tab in the right field and click "Add" to the right in the first field. The game is not in the list here so you'll have to browse our way to it, in other words, click "browse" and find the file we just made (ra3ep1_1.0), the location should be the same. Double click it!

Back in the NVIDIA control panel at point 2, we need to choose the GPU we want to use. From the menu choose "High-performance NVIDIA processor".Then click Apply to the lower right.

NOTE: if the game at launch says it is missing flies find the game from your origin game library. R-click it and select "Repair game". After the repair the game should work fine.

Here is the original from steam made by Osten

First: 
Find the cnc3ep1.dat file. R-click the game in steam>properties>Local files tab>
browse local files open "RetailExe" folder>open 1.12 folder> there is the 
cnc3ep1.dat file which is the real executable for the game, the other file is 
just a launcher.

Second:
Make a text document file and rename it to "cnc3ep1.dat.exe" in the 1.12 folder.

Third:
R-click your desktop and choose NVIDIA control panel from the menu, then
click "Manage 3d settings", click the "program settings" tab in the right field
and click "Add" to the right in the first field. The game is not in the list here so 
we'll have to browse our way to it, in other words, click "browse" and find the file 
we just made (cnc3ep1.dat.exe), the default location is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Command and Conquer 3 -Kane's Wrath\RetailExe\1.12\(cnc3ep1.dat.exe)

Double click it!!

Fourth:
Back in the NVIDIA control panel at point 2, we need to choose the GPU we 
want to use. From the menu choose "High-performance NVIDIA processor".
Then click Apply to the lower right... (almost there :)) 

Finally:
Go back to where we made the file and delete the file we made, yes delete it!
You can now start the game and enjoy the full power of your fancy Nvidia GPU.

PS:
This will also work for any Red alert 3 (ra3_1.12.game ) and RA3 - Uprising 
(ra3ep1_1.0.game), just apply the same concept as mentioned in this post.

Edited by n97kurmi