Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Virtual Reality -- good or not?

This type of discussion hasn't been mentioned yet but I say this new trend of technology might replace the 3D tech (you know the one with 3D glasses looking at 3D objects coming out of the screen) for now. It's like viewing a 360 degree screen wherever you move when wearing VR glasses. The VR tech existed since the 1950s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_reality

While virtual reality glasses cost as low as $4.99 USD in a 99 cent store whereas the average decent ones costs $10-30 USD in most stores, and the higher end ones are far worse than typical Bose products (such as Oculus Rift and HTC Vive that costs around $600-800). For PC users, you have to pay more to get compatible hardware to get it working, but VR apps and games for the PC are limited for now. For smartphone users, you don't have to pay much and extra apps to get 3D compatbility in VR are free to get.

But there is a weakness, the quality sucks. I mean to view a 1080p HD video in VR, you need to play it as 2180p. In 1080p, you are viewing a 720p quality. In 480p, you are viewing a decent 240-360p quality. The same quality also applies to gaming and images. I guess 360 degree cameras/camcorders do not have the same HD quality as normal HD cameras/camcorders.

The real question is, is this tech good or not?

10 minutes ago, PurpleGaga27 said:

This type of discussion hasn't been mentioned yet

Short memory...

It also seems the choice of tune by which you whistle is easily swayed by whatever you happen to have read last.

• Upvote 2

Well I am starting to forget things here......

Edited by PurpleGaga27

VR is a gimmick. I have yet to play a game where I feel more immersed while playing it in VR. Of course it doesn't help that most VR games seems to be tech demos thinly veiled as "horror experiences".

17 hours ago, TaxOwlbear said:

VR is a gimmick. 

Pretty much.

VR is good but not if you're an earlier adopter of the technology. PS4 has a racing game called Drive Club which supports VR; but at the cost of its nice graphics. Plus if you get queasy it's really bad, though good developers will do things to ease that problem.