Sonic

All Good Things.... It's Time Say to Goodbye

After a lot of thought I've decided the time has come for CNCNZ.com to be retired. The Command & Conquer franchise appears to be dead and buried. EA are simply sitting on it, with no news of any plans for the future of the franchise. The bleak C&C future is not the only factor in my decision to close down the site. In past couple months many changes have taken place in my real life. These changes mean I can no longer devote time to keeping the site going. I've lost the passion and motivation to continue.

Other factors are the financial costs. We have to pay for hosting. This money comes from my own personal bank account. Living expenses have increased for me in last month or so and that means something has to go.

I have achieved many great things in my 19 years as the webmaster and founder of CNCNZ.com. When I started it all way back in 1997, I never imagined it lasting this long. I take pride that we managed to get to this point. I have made many friends and contacts over the years. Been rewarded with lots free merchandise, received trips to EA in Los Angeles. We have sent staff members to Westwood Studios in Las Vegas, others have been to Germany for C&C related events. Where ever C&C has been, CNCNZ.com has been there along side it.

I will be closing the hosting account in the next couple of days. I don't know how the long the site will remain online for. So if there is anything you want to save now is the time.

Its been a great run, I'm sad that it is ending. CNCNZ.com is and always will be a part of me. I want to personally thank all the current and past staff members who have contributed over the many years we have been online.

As the saying goes. "All good things... must come to end".

It has been an honor and privilege to serve as webmaster of the this site but now its time to retire. Goodbye to you all. Goodbye to CNCNZ.com.

CNCNZ.com October 1997 - ????

oh no.........! i am sorry that you are leaving..................have a good life.:(

This makes me so sad :(. I wish the very best to you Sonic and to everyone I've talked too on here. This was always my go to spot for C&C news and it is no doubt the end an era. I literally just finished replaying the original GDI campaign too before seeing this news through the facebook post.

Again, I wish and hope for the very best for everyone here. Maybe in the future C&C will have a grand resurrection (I have always been an eternal optimist) and we can have one last hurrah! 

This is abrupt.

I'm not liking this, and I need time to even process the title. Will get back to you shortly.

So what happens to the site / forum content? Decades of content. Just gone after a few days with no solid deadline to which we have time for making backups?
This is a very abrupt turn of events. I'd hate to see everything lost just because of a sudden shutdown decision. More so for people who don't visit on a daily basis.

Edited by AZ-Stalker
  • Upvote 1

You said the domain was paid for until June 2018, how long is everything else paid up to? Since you've already stepped back as Lead Administrator, it seems odd to shut down the site for financial reasons before those financial reasons become an issue.

• Upvote 1

It's a shame to see a great sites go.. thanks for everything!

• Upvote 1

This is a vast improvement on EA's repeated silent nuking of forums! (all those modding memories gone... like tear drops in the rain) Thanks for your service over the years.
I used to browse here years ago just to get an update on 'Cannis rules' mod (the damn thing never did get released).

Good fortune in your future endeavours.

10 minutes ago, Madin said:

'Cannis rules' mod (the damn thing never did get released)

Oh man, that mod was my first encounter with the community as well! 1.8 was released, don't know if CannisRabidus wanted to add anything else.

Why all the good things have to end? :(

this was a site where i got multiple times to see whats new

and now.....

thanks for everything cncnz :)

Oh, that's sad... but understandable.

Well, it's been great. Thank you for everything.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have sent you a PM Sonic.

It doesn't have to end here.

Edited by Tore
  • Upvote 1

I'm shocked, but I understand well.

I build the Hungarian C&C community for so many years and this site was my main source. After the C&C F2P cancelled, I down my site too and not updated anymore. That was a tragedy. So many work for nothing.

Cncnnz.com was the best C&C site in the world so I Thank You this work! I hope, you can come back together with the C&C franchise once more :)

Guest Rabbit

If you're willing to let it happen, Sonic, let me take over the site.  I can host it, I can pay for it, I won't even touch it beyond what is necessary.  I'll keep the staff the same and let them run the show.

If this is about finally letting go, let it go to someone else, don't kill it just because you don't want it anymore.  CNCNZ is home to a lot of people who just want a place to be.

Edited by Rabbit

Hey Sonic, it saddens me a lot to see this post, although I do understand your position. C&C is indeed dead, if it depends on EA. I had a bit of hope for yesterday's EA play, which has vanished quite quickly once I saw all their announcements. But I hope you understand that this place is still entertains a lot of people and helps others to socialize and share their feelings and thoughts about Command & Conquer, RTS and FPS games and whatever related subjects. It is one of the best references in the world wide web about Command & Conquer. And that many people also have feelings for all the great work you've done with CNCNZ for all those 20 years. So, I truly hope you can consider the great offer from Zee Hypnotist to keep this community alive, even if he has to move it to another server ;). And maybe, if your real life gets better and future events in the C&C community motivates you to return, to take it over again once you feel yourself ready to do it.

Oh, man. This is super sad news. I guess C&C is done for for good this time.

Hey guys. Firstly thanks for your support. It was difficult for me to write that post. The reality is I can't afford to pay for the hosting any more. I have more bills and rent that must come fist.

With that said. I have read all the replies here and many PMs. I'm very sleepy as I reply to this. So give me chance to sleep on it. Someone else taking over the hosting seems to be the best option if you want the site to live on. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Sonic said:

Hey guys. Firstly thanks for your support. It was difficult for me to write that post. The reality is I can't afford to pay for the hosting any more. I have more bills and rent that must come fist.

With that said. I have read all the replies here and many PMs. I'm very sleepy as I reply to this. So give me chance to sleep on it. Someone else taking over the hosting seems to be the best option if you want the site to live on. 

SUCCESS!

If i can help, just ask.

If the site remains in any shape, @Nmenth and myself are ready to take over the administration part.

Just to motivate all of you: C&C is not dead, not even close to dead. As it is digitally available on Origin and Steam and will be in the future it's a completely different situation nowadays. Proof ? Let's see how many active players we had in the last two weeks just on steam:

That makes a total of 62,293 active players just for these 5 games on steam and only in the last two weeks, not including all the players in offline mode. Overall there are 2,027,084 players and a total of 2,642,506 owners on steam and it's getting more and more and will never stop as long as steam exists. All the Origin and CD/Crack players not even included in this sum.

The thing is forums like this feel kind off dead sometimes because most of the discussions have shifted to steam group forums (each game has it's own community hub there). And there is also reddit.

And if people say C&C is dead because there is no sequel from EA, then I'll ask you is classical music from Mozart dead because it is hundreds of year old ? C&C already belongs to the digital history of mankind and this forum too to a certain degree.

Edited by Mjjstral
  • Upvote 1

Sonic, at the very least, everyone, no matter our differences and wishes for the site, would really like it if the vast content we have on the forum and site would stay up as a viewable archive (as a final option, if we can't do more). Just look at all the people who are pitching in to help.

Edited by AZ-Stalker

The ideal solution is that it all remains online and continues to function as it does now.