Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rabbit

Updating / Moving CNCNZ.com

Guest Rabbit

In order to properly secure CNCNZ and fully transfer control, there will be some on-and-off downtime for the next week or so.  There's a few things that I need to do that cause downtime:

• Download the contents of the entire website - This will potentially slow the server down a little bit as I download every existing file on this server.
  • Transfer the domain name to my own hosting service - This may result in 1-3 days of the website being entirely inaccessable as the domain name transfers.
  • Transfer the database to my own hosting service - This basically means transferring every forum post, pm, shout, etc ever made, and incorporating it into the new server.  This process will take approximately 3-4 hours after the domain name is transferred.  Since I won't be aware of exactly when the domain transfer will complete, expect this to add a day to the entire process.
  • Change the name servers accordingly to point the dns to my server - This basically means I need to tell the internet as a whole where to find CNCNZ.  This will take an hour or two for some, up to 48 hours for others.

All in all, expect some downtimes throughout the next week.  I'll work as quickly as I can to take care of everything.  During the downtime, I'll be posting the status of this site at http://zeehive.net.  This isn't a plug for my own site, it's simply a place where you will be able to check the status of CNCNZ when you eventually see that this site is down.

Thanks for your patience guys.  Just gotta get this over with.

Guest Rabbit

Update is complete, and went without any real issues.  Let me know if you guys find any errors.

No noticeable lag issues with that for myself.

Bit slow for me as well.

3 hours ago, Sonic said:

Seems to lag when I click on http://forums.cncnz.com/discover/

Something to look into. 

He's gone and broke it!

This is what happens when you let the lunatics run the asylum Sonic! haha

Just kidding Zee, seems pretty swift this hosting, just as good as ever!

Guest Rabbit

I need to look into what is causing that link in particular to load so slowly, I'm experiencing the same issue.  When I first installed the forums, they were running slowly as a whole so I increased the php ram on the server.  That made everything faster, except for a few specific things like this.  I think it has to do with loading from the mysql database.

Guest Rabbit

After being unable to work the problem, I've contacted the IPS support staff to see what their take on the situation is.  I'll post back if we can come up with a solution.

Guest Rabbit

I'm noticing that I only experience this issue while logged into my admin account, and no users other than some admins have posted here mentioning the slowdowns with that page.

As soon as I log out, everything loads immediately.  I mentioned this to the staff at IPS, who claimed they could not see an issue from their point of view.

It seems to load at relatively the same speed for me whether I am logged out or not. If there is any difference, it would have to be a fraction of a second. How much lag are you experiencing here?

Guest Rabbit

Just now, I went to the main page, and opened "Activity" in a new tab.  The page sat as a white loading screen for 18 seconds before fully showing up.

Edit:  Well that's uncool.  In order to test the matter, apparently IPS was able to automatically log in to Nmenth's and Plokite_Wolf's accounts without even asking.

42 minutes ago, Zee Hypnotist said:

The page sat as a white loading screen for 18 seconds before fully showing up

Yeah, I get nothing like that.

42 minutes ago, Zee Hypnotist said:

IPS was able to automatically log in to Nmenth's and Plokite_Wolf's accounts without even asking.

That's a bit presumptuous of them. Well, at least I don't keep the passkeys to my nuclear stockpile on this site.

Guest Rabbit

This is what led me to believe that they'd done exactly that:

Capture.png

I have doubleclick.net blacklisted, so ads never load for me, could that be the difference?

Guest Rabbit

Shouldn't be.  All I have to do is log out for the issue to be fixed for me.

It takes several seconds (about 10) to load that page, and I have AdBlock installed.

Their forceful login makes me uneasy.

Guest Rabbit

Turns out there's an option to give a full-access admin account to IPS on installation, and that option was given to them at some point in the past by Sonic, probably for support purposes.  I've closed that door. 

I have no reason to mistrust IPS, but with this backdoor, they can technically hop on to any account, read PMs, etc.  Sonic sent me a password file that technically has passwords for every part of the website.

As such, if anyone here has any reason to believe there was a password or piece of private information sent via PM or private board in this forum, change those associated passwords as soon as possible.

Update: I have closed the back door, removed the IPS account, and removed the ability for administrators to jump onto other accounts.

I noticed there's still some lag loading and viewing a page of Now Playing Music (and even Video of the Day) with multiple embedded videos. The clips took too long to load, even on a fast Internet connection.

I am now experiencing the lag. The discover page and topics are taking excessively long times to load, sometimes I refresh when they seem to hang for a really long time and they reload much more quickly, but this is not consistent.

Guest Rabbit
On 6/14/2017 at 6:00 PM, PurpleGaga27 said:

I noticed there's still some lag loading and viewing a page of Now Playing Music (and even Video of the Day) with multiple embedded videos. The clips took too long to load, even on a fast Internet connection.

Hey genius.  Maybe stop posting multiple videos at once like you always do.  It's a little ridiculous that you're complaining about a problem that you are solely responsible for causing.

14 minutes ago, Nmenth said:

I am now experiencing the lag. The discover page and topics are taking excessively long times to load, sometimes I refresh when they seem to hang for a really long time and they reload much more quickly, but this is not consistent.

Weirdly, it no longer lags for me.  I'm still at a complete loss as to what is causing this issue.

12 hours ago, Zee Hypnotist said:

Hey genius.  Maybe stop posting multiple videos at once like you always do.  It's a little ridiculous that you're complaining about a problem that you are solely responsible for causing.

I never liked embedded videos. They add little value, and performance is lost. It's easier to make a hyperlink and have the user add his/her own description which says what the video is about.

13 hours ago, Zee Hypnotist said:

Weirdly, it no longer lags for me.  I'm still at a complete loss as to what is causing this issue.

Still the same on my end.

4 minutes ago, jeffnz said:

I never liked embedded videos. They add little value,

What, you don't find a directly playable video useful?

I just loaded the videos thread and to my surprise it actually loaded without crashing. Embedding does create a bit of latency and extra scrolling. 1 embed is useful but 8+ embeds on a single page becomes a nuisance. From a marketing perspective a lot of embeds makes it feel like I'm reading Daily Mail. Lots of images but not much layout or focus.

Well there is a limit on the number of videos allowed per post (3, I believe). On most topics, this limit is quite reasonable. On the video of the day and now playing topics, where nearly every post consists of videos, it tends to add up. Especially when PurpleGaga27 feels like he needs to hit the limit with every post he makes.

There used to be a setting to control how many posts you wanted to see displayed per page, which you could use to reduce the quantity of videos that need to load, but I don't see it anymore...

Accessing the activity page is still slow and lagging. Same thing happens when I try to view someone's profile. Everything else appears to be fine.