Sign in to follow this  
Gben

New Desktop Quote

Hardware:
- Intel Core i7 7700k Unlocked CPU
- MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon Motherboard
- MSI GeForce GTX 1050ti 4GB Video Card
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) (2 free slots)
- Samsung 960 EVO 250GB m.2 SSD HDD
- WD Black Edition 2TB secondary HDD
- EVGA SuperNova 750w Gold Modular Power Supply
- NZXT Kraken x42 Liquid CPU Cooler
- NZXT Source s340 Elite Mid Tower Case Black/Red (Tempered Glass Side Panel)
- Arctic Thermal Paste for CPU

AUD $2220 + tax

It's for work, for use with the adobe suite of software (Premiere Video Editing in particular).

No monitors or peripherals needed.

I don't want to spend any more, it's already over budget, but for an incremental cost that will last me longer I am open to suggestions. More importantly is there something I can do to shave cost but not performance???

While everything else is okay..... only 3 things.

1) Do you really need a liquid CPU cooler? A CPU fan that comes with thermal paste is merely okay. A liquid CPU cooler costs more than a CPU fan.

2) The RAM is expensive this time of year due to more RAM chips being used on newer smartphones and tablets leaving to a short supply of RAM chips to desktops and laptops. 16 GB is enough. The average price of 16 GB RAM is around $100 USD (or AUD $131.75).

3) Go for a smaller size (like a 120 or 150 GB) or lower brand SSD because a Samsung 250 GB SSD is still expensive today.

Edit: You didn't mention of an optical drive, let alone use flash drives and external hard drives as backup.

Edited by PurpleGaga27

Thanks for your comments PG27

Thanks DD, but in the absence of other comments, I have gone ahead and placed the order as quoted.

Now I am thinking a about keyboard/mouse combos. The computer will be stored at my feet, and for plugging in portable usb and phones to collect media, I was thinking about getting a wired keyboard with usb pass through ports. Does anyone have any experience with those? I've normally used wireless keyboard / mouse keyboards and they have been fine...

Looking at options, but everything seems to be ultra-gaming-styled and I need plain business style...

Yeah if it's not for gaming a Ryzen would have been the better choice. I also don't really get the choice of graphics card, the way higher memory speed and cuda cores could have helped a ton in video editing, though I don't know if the programs you're using have solid gpu utilization.

From what I remember after 16gb ram there is a serious drop off of performance per dollar in adobe programs, so I probably would have gone with less ram and a better gpu.

Edited by Lauren

ok and oh well.