Sign in to follow this  
Cygnus X-1

Religious beliefs

Ok. I'm gona be careful about this one, but as some of you know, religious discussion keeps poping up in some of the topics. Some body asked, so here is a specific topic on religious beliefs. To keep it open, there are some guidelines to be had:

1: Disagree with the ideal or whatever, dont slam the person

2: Derogatory terms about religion, race, sex are not welcome here.

3: Keep it clean if you want to keep it open.

So folks, talk about your religious beliefs here, or if you have some questions aout other faiths (keep 'em clean) then ask here.

BTW I'm Catholic and I stand by my faith, but I dont support the Catholic church's obbsessiveness with procedure and spending big bucks on Cathedrals.

I believe that all faiths on the planet are right in some way about the real deal. No faith has it all right. If you believe in something else, then that's fine by me, and I will respect that. If you are a pure atheist, I should respect that, but I have some missgivings about you people. But thats just me. Anyone else?

I'm an atheist. :D

I don't really care if you're into the whole "God" thing or whatever you believe in. I don't mind. Religion only annoys me when its forced on me or people like me, weather directly or indirectly.

I'm Jewish (I've heard all the jokes dont worry) I'm classified as Reformed, but I tend to lean more to the conservative side.

I do believe in a superior being, one who plans the outcomes of our lives, things happen for reasons. I'm really not too outgoing about my religion for obvious reasons, and I tend to side with a lot of christian beliefs about political issues. I do not agree with abortion to the extend that most conservatives do. Life begins when an unique identiy is formed, at 6 weeks.

I'll debate more when we have more issues.

Christian prodestant. How much my life had been enrichened since becoming devoted to Christ is no accident. But I do feel that throwing about fire and brimstone is a mistake. "If you do this or you do not do that YOU WILL BE CAST OFF INTO THE LAKE OF FIRE!" Seriously, if anyone joined based on this it would be based on fear rather than a genuine desire to. The right way to do it I believe, and this would be for all religions, is to show what your God has done, tell people how much your lives have changed for the better when you became devoted to the religion you have chosen.

As for other religions, I must admit I am not an expert for the most part. I have an understanding of Roman Catholic, Jewish and Muslim, and feel that it is wrong how some twist around the latter for their own ends. Others such as Hindu and Budda I am not familiar with. Do I feel these people are wrong to follow a religion that is not of my own. A Christian monk once said that it is not his place to judge others for their actions, for judgement is made on everyone in the hereafter. That is the stance I take on other religions, even if in some other areas it is a belief I fail at misribly.

Stoic here

Stoicism was one of the new philosophical movements of the Hellenistic period. The name derives from the porch (stoa poikilê) in the Agora at Athens decorated with mural paintings, where the members of the school congregated, and their lectures were held.

Unlike ‘epicurean,’ the sense of the English adjective ‘stoical’ is not utterly misleading with regard to its philosophical origins. The Stoics did, in fact, hold that emotions like fear or envy (or impassioned sexual attachments, or passionate love of anything whatsoever) either were, or arose from, false judgements and that the sage--a person who had attained moral and intellectual perfection--would not undergo them. The later Stoics of Roman Imperial times, Seneca and Epictetus, emphasise the doctrines (already central to the early Stoics' teachings) that the sage is utterly immune to misfortune and that virtue is sufficient for happiness.

Our phrase ‘stoic calm’ perhaps encapsulates the general drift of these claims. It does not, however, hint at the even more radical ethical views which the Stoics defended, e.g. that only the sage is free while all others are slaves, or that all those who are morally vicious are equally so. Though it seems clear that some Stoics took a kind of perverse joy in advocating views which seem so at odds with common sense, they did not do so simply to shock.

Stoic ethics achieves a certain plausibility within the context of their physical theory and psychology, and within the framework of Greek ethical theory as that was handed down to them from Plato and Aristotle. It seems that they were well aware of the mutually interdependent nature of their philosophical views, likening philosophy itself to a living animal in which logic is bones and sinews; ethics and physics, the flesh and the soul respectively (another version reverses this assignment, making ethics the soul). Their views in logic and physics are no less distinctive and interesting than those in ethics itself.

i'm an Atheist but i keep an open mind. I live a guilt-free and healthy life, that way i know that when i die i've had a good run... so if there is a god at the other end, i'm in a win-win situation because i haven't done anything wrong (if there is no god, i've had a good life *shrugs*) and if we get reincarnated, maybe i'll get my wish of coming back as a pampered kitty cat =3

Technically i'm borderline communist. i know that is more a political view, but i believe that if everyone had equal rights and worked together, it would be better for the populous as a whole... and by that i mean the communist ideal, not the russian communist practice. There are various other terms for it, though not one has achieved this perfect world. and they never shall... thus it's a belief, something to hope/dream for and why i partly class it as my religion if i have to have one ^_^

I'm almost sure we all believe a similar thing, though we practice this under different names or pre-tenses. Is this our fault for being gullible, or the leaders of the said religion for angling it with a more human sense against other religions, or bettering itself with mortal wealth? (said religion being pretty much all of them. every single one is corrupt in some way, that's human nature)

...wow i don't even know if that was a moment of genius which i should save or an entry speech for a Miss World contest -_-;

Let's hope this stays sensible like the religious discussions on CnC Boards.

I'm not religious either, but I have been attending a Church of England school for 9 years now.

I agree with the christian ideals (and I'm sure it's the same in all religions) of being kind and loving towards others, but I think the whole worshiping thing is wrong. If you truley believe in God you shouldn't need other people to do the worshiping for you - you should pray/whatever in private 1 on 1 with God.

Im a considerably strong Catholic believer, but Im certainly not the type of one that passes judgement on others, I resent being put into a position where I have to argue with someone about their faith. I also have a clear opinion of what is ethical, for example I believe that any priest who commits a mortal sin should be exposed and excommunicated, regardless of the consequences. Make no mistake however, you argue about my religous beliefs and I will stand up for them, I will however respect your choice of belief even though its wrong.

I would admit however that I do not like how Atheism is turning out, a considerable portion (probably not a majority however) of Athiests contradictively treat it like a religion and feel they have a duty to destroy a persons faith, some can also be very uncomprimising and ignorant of other beliefs rendering such type of Atheism to be extremely hypocritical and pointless. I apologise to Athiests who chose such a belief (or non-belief?) for the sake of being passive and non-confrontational.

I'm an atheist but like Mina, I keep an open mind. I believe there is no god but you believe what you want. Religious followers bother me since they can place faith in an being that may or may exist but by the same token I can't say he doesn't exist either.

@ Waraddict:

Atheism could be considered a religion in that it defines a person's belief, or in this case non-belief, of a higher figure. Very few atheists actively seek to destroy someone's faith. In fact, it's quite rare. The only people that truly try destroy someone's faith are Chritians. No offense to any here but your kind have a tendency to press beliefs on people. Africa anyone?

well, when you are destroying incorrect faith for the right one or rather from a more objective point of view, destroying what you believe to be the incorrect faith for what you believe to be the right one, it's fine.

However, when you search to destroy faith in general for non-faith, it becomes hypocritical, non-faith is simply there for people who can't have faith and would prefer to be less confrontational, once non-believers begin destroying faith in general for absolutely nothing then they only believe in what you might dub as the negative qualities of a religion.

There is no correct faith. In one way or another, each one is right. Destroying someone's faith in favor of your own is wrong, period. You cannot justify such brainwashing.

Non believers don't destroy faith. We try to instill logical thought into people who place blind faith in a being that might not exist. If you choose to believe such things, great, I'm happy for you. I choose not to believe it and I'll attempt to convince you that there is another path.

There is no correct faith. In one way or another, each one is right. Destroying someone's faith in favor of your own is wrong, period. You cannot justify such brainwashing.

Non believers don't destroy faith. We try to instill logical thought into people who place blind faith in a being that might not exist. If you choose to believe such things, great, I'm happy for you. I choose not to believe it and I'll attempt to convince you that there is another path. Then you can make your own choice after I place my points.

Non believers don't destroy faith. We try to instill logical thought into people who place blind faith in a being that might not exist. If you choose to believe such things, great, I'm happy for you. I choose not to believe it and I'll attempt to convince you that there is another path.

Try not to distort what I posted, I already asserted Im not the type that passes judgement on another's faith, my second post was simply the comparison of a Christian (or any other religion for that matter) destroying another faith and atheism destroying faith, personally I prefer not to go near that, I simply put it that faith is belief and belief is trust, to enforce faith would not be wise, its up to the individual to trust in the religion.

Also, I definetly didnt say non-belivers destroy faith, only some, these may seem like small issues at the moment but if I were to allow such assertations about my views to go then I would most certainly be misunderstood.

Lastly, Atheism is about as logical as religion, the problem is athiests think religious people believe in a 'man in the clouds' if you will, God is beyond the physical universe, he can neither be proved to exist or not to exist with what we have in this universe, infact when it boils down to it physical proof proves God exists more then not to exist as we have the universe itself to prove it, it may be quite vague evidence but its definetly more evidence then the non-existence of God.

Let's hope this stays sensible like the religious discussions on CnC Boards.

I'm not religious either, but I have been attending a Church of England school for 9 years now.

I agree with the christian ideals (and I'm sure it's the same in all religions) of being kind and loving towards others, but I think the whole worshiping thing is wrong. If you truley believe in God you shouldn't need other people to do the worshiping for you - you should pray/whatever in private 1 on 1 with God.

Now that, I totally agree with. God (or who ever. Lets call him Bob for Bob's sake) Bob is an entity that we will never fully comprehend. So we build a mental image of Bob in our minds through our 1 on 1 with him and through our life expiriences. He becomes our personal guide, as well as the master technician behind the scenes. The church and temple worshiping and praying 5 times a day toward Mecca (to name a few, no specifics-ishness) is a little over blown. I like the Jedi view on things. Take it at your own pace. There are certain things to be learned abotu Bob, but once past the basics, your on your own (so to speak)

I don't try to wreak anyone's faith of beliefs. I trust in science and logic, and normally tend to follow the mindset that some stories in religious texts just simply couldn't happen (or are mis-read along the way) ie: parting of the sea etc etc...

i'm quite happy to tolerate even the most extreme religious beliefs but when it gets to the point of the Waco, Texas incident or some american states by law having to place a message at the back of their science books which reads "evolution is not fact, it's a point of view" i normally tend to say stop ^^;

Pff... Its still a pretty good point of view... :?

i belive in reincarnation.. other than that i dont belive in any religion.. i think that the things exisit for the ppl who belive in them, and not for those who does not...

Call me unfaithful, but I'm half catholic half- atheist. By the way, I tend to be VERY religous sometimes.

the scientific textbook thing is real for certain, they enforce it in at least five states (learnt about that one off Penn & Teller: Bullsh*t xD then i looked it up online to see if it was for real.)

I mean everyone is allowed to have their own point of view, but surely when it gets to a point that you pick up a rifle because someone has a different point of view to you, it's time to call it quits.

I mean history-wise, it's more acceptable because in the past belief was everything (ie: the crusades etc etc. i'm not justifying what they did, just that everything that happened then makes more sense)

Nowadays having fanatical extremists is just not appropriate or needed, and is a waste of innocent life on all parts.

I have to admit though, i wouldn't mind having been born somewhere like one of those little american towns where belief is everything and everyone is good to each other... in that case, extremism is more acceptable because it's not hurting anybody and it keeps the whole area in line without enforcing any kind of threat o.o;

I'm sure there are towns like that all over the world with different religions and i'm glad they are still there... kind of like lil naive country retreats for the rest of us.

Have any of you noticed as to how closely related all current religions are? at some point in time they all cross-reference, and there is a heroic character that will be mentioned in two or more religions... Is it possible there is really only one religion and everyone has forgotten it? (ie: Tower of Babel isn't it? or something like that. feel free to correct and answer cos my RE knowledge is lacking somewhat)

It would certainly make life a lot better for everyone in the world though it's gonna cause a lot of red faces when people look back on all these religious wars and confilcts o.O

I'm mormon. One of the least understood religions. Mormons do not have multiple wives, are strongly opposed to electronics, or worship Harry Potter, Joseph Smith, or anyone else weird. I've heard some really crazy stuff like that.

guess it doesn't help that everyone else is brought up believing they should slam the door in the faces of Mormons... i gotta admit til a couple of years back i never knew they existed o.o;

Would it be too much to ask for you to explain all the basics to me? (ie: any praying practices or things you have to do etc etc)

Lets see: we believe in the God, the eternal father, and in his son, jesus christ, and in the holy ghost. So, we would be Christian. Praying is much like any other Christian church, you dont have to do anything. Although there are a lot of rules and such, most do not follow them. Like, no smoking, drinking, use of profanity, eating excessive meats, etc. But I think thats kind of odd, and dont follow it strictly.

I almost don't follow rules. When we pray at school (my school's a christian school) I just pretend I'm praying sometimes. Almost none of my classmates pray. Some of them make jokes while praying. :evil: