Sign in to follow this  
Guest Zenoth

Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge won't start-up. Please Help.

Guest Zenoth

I don't know why, and I don't think I'll ever know...but since I've changed my computer (WITHOUT including the Operating System) the game won't start-up, whatever I try.

Take note that it worked without any problems on my old computer running under Windows XP Home Edition as well. The differences between my old and my new system are the new parts, but not Windows XP.

So, with that said, the first thing I will let you guys know, is what happens when I click on either the Red Alert 2 or the Yuri's Revenge's icon. The screen turns black, just like if the game WOULD start-up, but almost instantly goes back to the Desktop. Nothing else happens. Don't worry, both Red Alert 2 and the expansion are legal, official copies. Like I said, the games worked without any problems when I had my old computer. I tried every drivers possible, I even tried my old graphics-card, which is an MX-440SE. Nothing works.

I've read in multiple places that Red Alert 2 doesn't work well when installed in a computer with two CD-ROM Drives, or one CD-ROM Drive and a CDR-W Drive.

So I un-installed and un-plugged my CD-ROM Drive, and I've let the CDR-W handle everything when it comes to software. But the problem persist. Nothing changes. I've tried to 'tweak' my graphics-card's Direct3D and OpenGL features. Nothing changes.

The problem, I think, must be caused by something else than the graphics-card or its available drivers. But what exactly ? I really can't say. Perhaps something related to Windows files, but I don't know.

It worked in the past...but now decides not to.

So, yes I can install everything properly, but it can't start-up. Nothing loads. Nothing happens. Black screen for an fraction of a second...then goes back to Desktop.

It's quite frustrating. Please help.

Completely un-install both RA2 and YR using the Add/Remove program list in your Control Panel. After the un-install is complete delete the game's folders, usually WestwoodRA2.

Open the registry editor (Go to START -> RUN -> type regedit) and search for all references to RA2 and YR, remove all these keys from the registry. Reboot the system.

Once rebooted install RA2 then install YR. Download the YR v1.001 patch from http://www.cncnz.com/files/yuri/patches.shtml

Install that patch. Now try your game.

Guest Zenoth

Thanks for the advice dude.

I've done everything you suggested. Plus, I've just installed the Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1a...and now...

IT WORKS ! ^_^

Thanks again dude.

Guest Llaedris

I have that exact same problem, and even after trying what sonic said the game still will not load. I was at my aunt's when I bought the game, and they have the exact same operating system (XP Home) and it worked fine there.

I uninstalled, deleted the folder, cleared the registry (Not sure i got all of the Yuri's Revenge because there were so many "YR" Things when I searched I gave up).

Then I reinstalled both games, and patched YR, and I get the same problem still.

If anyone else can help it would be appreciated.

Oh.. and when I Uninstall, should I do the 3rd option or just the 1st one when it asks you what exactly you want to remove.

I used to have this problem, that it wouldn't run (I have Me). I'm not sure what was wrong with it, but if you have two CD-Rom's/CD-RW combination, try putting the orginal RA2 disk in the other drive (The one you didn't use to install it in).

Guest alias

i too am having the same problem. I do not have Yuri's Revenge, but i followed the same steps as sonic mentioned earlier, to no success. i also tried putting the cd in my external usb cdrw and that did not help. i have updated versions of my graphics card, directx 9.0b, and red alert2 1.0006 or whatever it is + whatever updated the Auto Updater downloaded. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am running XP Professional by the way.

Guest alias

hey guys, figured it out, hope this helps everyone else having this problem, it sure works for me.

when trying to run red alert 2 or other C&C games in XP or newer Operating Systems, Open the drive that holds your Red Alert 2 cd, and right click on the autoexec.exe file -> Properties

Click on the Compatibility tab

check run this program in compatibility mode for :: windows 95

click ok, and that should do it!

Guest Lail

i did what sonic said & that fixed RA2 only yuri revenge still have the same problem help please

Guest Bungle

Hey there, bought a new laptop to play YR on and had this exact same problem

I FIXED IT

simple, in the RA2 directory there should be a yuri icon named ra2md.exe, its the main program file for yuri's revenge. Set the compatibility to windows98/ME and then it will work perfect, i checked this post just now and thought I should share this info, its helpful when the game decides to work:)

Guest Chrama

I still have the problem that RA2 will not start up.

I have upgraded my system to 3.0Gz, 9800 Radeon, 1g Memory etc.

I tried everything above mentioned but still RA2 is not starting up.

Patching does also not help.

What can I do more ?

Guest Maximous

I had a lot of problems with Yuri's Revenge. First, I couldn't find the Ra2md.exe file that the shortcut keeps refering to. So, I found that file on a website. Now when I launch the shortcut, it looks like it'll run fine but then it says, "Please insert a Red Alert 2 cd in the cd rom". The "Yuri's Revenge" cd is already in the cd rom!!! I'm about to give up and go back to Age of Empires.

Can anyone help?

thanks.

Assuming you have legal copies of RA2 and Yuri's Revenge and you didn't just download it off some warez site you shouldn't have any problems with missing files.

Maximous, no shortcut should be pointing to the Ra2md.exe file for Yuri's Revenge anyway.

I've read in multiple places that Red Alert 2 doesn't work well when installed in a computer with two CD-ROM Drives, or one CD-ROM Drive and a CDR-W Drive.

So I un-installed and un-plugged my CD-ROM Drive, and I've let the CDR-W handle everything when it comes to software. But the problem persist. Nothing changes. I've tried to 'tweak' my graphics-card's Direct3D and OpenGL features. Nothing changes.

Ok so you resolved your problem great BUT id just like to make a mention to others out there that dual cd-roms in no way should affect game performance, unless theyre are both broken lol then you are in trouble :P that information quoted was bogus.I personally have a dvd rom drive & a cd-rw drive. And have enjoyed having my ass whuuped on Red2 many a time lol & Never with any issues

Guest seanc

yay i got it to work by changing the YURI.exe compatability to windows 95 :) had the exact same problem :P hope that works for one of u

Guest Cman

Thanks a lot. It works fine now.

Where did you read that? I've not had any problems installing it on my two computers that have 2 drives. One is Win98 and the other WinXP. Hell, I was even able to do it on a computer with 3 drives.

And never once have I had to set the Compatability. Even on XP.

[desperate_plea]Im brining this thread back cos i have this exact same problem. Ive tried _EVERYTHING_ that has been mentioned in this thread more than once to no avail whatsoever and im pretty much at the end of my tether... i am very close to breaking my ra2/yr cds out of frustration. I wish westwood were still around. Please help someone[/desperate_plea]

opps guess i should post my specs...

2.8ghz(hyperthread)

geforce 5600XT

WindowsXP professional

I have a similar problem

This applies only to Yuri's Revenge; Red Alert 2 isn't affected for some reason:

I try to load Yuri's Revenge, and about ten seconds into the loading, it gives me a Microsoft error message saying: Main executable for Yuri's Revenge has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Ive tried to install the patch to yuri's and ra2 but still doesn't work i also changed the compability to win98, win95, NT, 2000 but nothing happends. :x

ok, if you REALLY want to fix it, format your computer and reinstall the game.