Sign in to follow this  
Thierry

Compatibility

You could try searching about your problem in FED2k's Tech forum at http://www.dune2k.com/forum/index.php?board=40.0

I also found this on EA's Tech Support page. It follow on from what Rogue Leader said....

We have implimented a feature that solves most video synchronization problems. Symptoms of these problems include choppy video at any time in the movies or game play or sound either ahead or behind the video.

You can do this by right clicking on the shortcut, and then selecting the properties option. You'll then see a text field that has a directory listing, something like "C:westwoodemperoremperor.exe". You'll need to place a +w at the end of this line, resulting in "C:westwoodemperoremperor.exe +W"/ This should remedy your video choppyness during movies. If not simply reply and we'll further diagnose your situation.

If this did not solve your problem, please ensure that your video drivers, as well as DirectX is up to date.

Well, I also have this problem now with another game.

I also have this problem with my DVD's. Its a lot less worse on my DVD (about every 5 - 10 minutes or so). Maybe its software related? It isn't my DVD player since I tried to use emperor in my spare CD player, but no difference :(

Do you have DMA (Direct Memory Access) enabled for your DVD/CD Drives?

You can check this setting by right clicking on your My Computer icon, select Properties, then go to the Hardware tab. Click on Device Manager. Look for the category named IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers, expand it untill you see Secondary IDE Channel. Right click on this and select Properties, now click on the Advanced Settings tab.

In the Device 0 and Device 1 section make sure the Transfer Modes are set to DMA, not PIO. Take a look the at screen shot below.

dma.jpg

Click on OK to close all these windows then reboot your system, return to the Device Manager and check that DMA is still enabled after your reboot. If the transfer mode has changed back to PIO it means your DVD/CD Drives don't support DMA. Now try your games and DVDs. Having DMA enabled also improves CD burning.

IT WORKS!!! PRAISE THE LORD, NO, PRAISE SONIC!!!! :lol:

Thnkx alot.

I appearently have 2 Secondary blablabla, 1 was PIO, other was DMA, now they are both DMA. :D

So I owe you one :wink:

Well, not fully.

The problem is less, so thanks for that, anything else that might cause the lesser problem.

My DVD/RW drive is a NEC

You have two Secondary IDE Channels :confused:

There should only be a Primary IDE Channel for your hard drive and the Secondary IDE Channel for DVD/CD Rom drives.

Well, I also have two Primary IDE Channels.

My processor uses HT, does that make any diffenrence, and my HD is SATA.

You should always use the fast IDE (for 7200 HD's) for your HD and the secondary normal IDE for your CDROM drive i thought...... :?

2 primary's?? :?

Yeah, well I don't know it either.

Windows XP even shows me that I got 2 proccessors, 2,8 GHZ P4.

How about that 8)

The processor is hyper-threaded, so it fools Windows into thinking there is two processors instead of one. It hasn't seen much benefit on the game side, aside from Star Wars: Galaxies which uses a multi-threaded rendering system, but office apps like Photoshop, Premiere, 3DS Max all have greater performance.

OK, THat I get, but what about my double Channels, won't it give problems with stuff about primary and secondary?

I'm not that familiar with Serial ATA, but your hard drives all contain what is called the master boot record which controls what drive your computer boots from, and which it thinks is the primary drive and any secondary. There shouldn't be an issue, as long as both hard drives aren't competing to boot an operating system.

Well, it doesn't give me any problems, but if the Secondary drives have anything to do with my games (maybe via the CD) then they could give problems in the games like those movies because its doubled?

Maybe with older games like Emperor.

Well, Emperor IS the game in which those film glitches sho up, (and my ol FF8 PC version). But further on there is no problem. I just don't get it how my computer thinks that its all doubled.

Oh, well as long as I can play the game itself...

Well, its figured out about the double stuff. It turns out that I have one SATA controller (for my SATA HD) and one Ultra ATA controller. So that caused it. I don't know much about the details.

FF8: there is an update for Geforce cards which improves stuff. Did you install it?

Uhmm. What do you mean? I have a new PC now. It houses a nice Sapphire ATi 9800 Pro. Besides, I don't play the older the much any more. Too bad that FF8 can't be set on a resolution higher then 640 X 480...

God.. my internet been of for almost a month and ppl are still postin here! lol

What's weird about that? I'm just glad I figured out my ''double'' problem

Give us details about the double problem.

Its already fixed. Everything that was in the Hardware Section: IDE/ATA/ATAPI was doubled. Read earlier posts. This was because I had 2 controllers, 1 SATA and one U-ATA. That's kinda all I figured out.

But how did you fix it?

I didn't. It didn't need any really. I can live with the movie glitches in Emperor and all that. DVD's work fine...