Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Which Tanya would you date?

I had studied both, but chose to stick with karate. Tae Kwon Do was probably the harder road, but the instructor for it was only interested in training his higher grades for the Olympics. But I did get a bit out of it. Anyway, I looked up where it had her biography, but it only states that she is skilled in martial arts. Obviously she was skilled enough to be in a martial arts movie; she co starred with Don "The Dragon" Wilson in Virtual Combat.

That instructor should have been an olympic coach then. Sad really. When I joined up, my instructor and his other blackbelt instructor assistant gave a lot of attention to the higher ranked competitor at our studio, but also in addition to the regular classes, they took the time to go one on one teaching with all the students throughout the years. I'm on my 4th year, and its benn a good 4 years, and I cant see myself quiting any tine soon.

Pah, martial arts, I don't see the point, I have a pair of friends who do jujitsu or whatever, & i offered both of them that if i was given a stick I could hold of both of them with my swordsmanship that I have learned. Guess what, stick wins, & i gave them a good sound battering.

If you really want to learn how to defend yourself learn swordplay. You can find tons of stuff on the net, or if you are willing to give up your time you can go to fencing classes. A sabre without its rubber ball on the top can penetrate steel.

An assault riffle, a belt of grenades, a pistol and a 16inch knife serve most U.S. Marines pretty well too.

What do you get out of martial arts? You learn how to defend yourself, not only is a sword or many types of weapons impractical they also illegal. You gain fitness and confidence through your training. You develop friendships with the people you train with and because you do fight against each other you also develop trust to look after the people you work with. You develop self control and discipline from obaying your sensei to not harming your opponent during kumite...something a few of you could work on.

I have a friend who takes shao lin, and he says its much harder than karate and that stuff. He told on the first day, the instructor pulled his legs apart to 180 degrees, or a split. It is amazing. He can do stuff like bending backwards touching heels, getting back up without pushing off the ground or something, and twistin and flipping backwards, etc.

When i'm of age, i'll get a licence to carry concealed weapons and cary a small silenced pistol like assasins carry. No matter how good a person is in martial arts or swordsmanship, all u have to do it shoot them. Its impossible to dodge a bullet like a punch, and u have longer range. shoot their balls, shoot their legs, immoblize them.

Of course there are advantages to firearms over martial arts. But there are disadvantages as well. For example, you have to be of legal age. There is a stumbling block for some of you right there. Then it has to be legal for you to have a gun. Certain countries, Britain and Japan are two of them I recall, do not allow guns. You also are not allowed to have a gun if you have a criminal record. Then if you are able to own a gun you have to get a special concealed or small arms license, which are a lot harder to get than one for a rifle for hunting or the farm (putting down sick animals). You would have to find someone who would sell you a weapon that you could conceal...forget about trying to do that with a Beretta or Desert Eagle. Finding someone who would sell you a silencer would be even harder. You would need a gun holster as you would probably shoot yourself were you to draw the gun from a pocket. You would need to keep the gun safely locked and away from ammunition, that is part of the contract when you go for your gun license. If you were ever to use a gun on someone you would be up on firearms offences, assault with a deadly weapon, even if it was self defence. If you actually killed someone you would be looking at manslaughter, murder if the act was premeditated. Could you really pull the trigger if you had to? Trust me, martial arts is better than a gun if you were looking for a form of self defence. But if you are after an alternative, see if you can find a security store that sells pepper or capsicum spray. They are reletively cheap and are a proper self defence tool. Or a flashlight...see if you can find a small, powerful flashlight you can use to blind an attacker, or even see if you can track down a self defence light somewhere. Other oddities such as tazers are a bit of a muddy area. One police officer I spoke with was horrified at the prospect that they were used for self defence, so it may be something you want to avoid.

In addition to all that, you cant garuntee that you'll have a weapon on hand in a tense sittuetion. You will always have yourself on hand as a weapon. By the way, the TV moves of grabbing whatever is at hand (windshield wipers, an old towel, trash can lids, ect..) never works. And if whoever is doing the assaulting is using a gun, best just to run, hide, or do as they say, depending on the situation.

Unless you have a death wish.

If thats the case, well, dont tell us about it here.

A book I read talked about self defence against a gun. There are a couple of things you can do. One is even if they pull a gun on you most people will hesitate three seconds before firing. They cannot just pull a gun a shoot like you always see in the movies. Apparently you can use that three seconds to try and disarm them. The safe option though would be to just leg it. Against any type of handgun you would be okay to do this, as they are less effective at range, but a rifle is more clumsy up close, like in the close quarter combat that comes with martial arts and you could be putting yourself at greater risk if you run. And just to add to doing as you are told, never ever allow them to tie you up or take you somewhere.

You could also stall for time by trying to talk them out of it or trying to find out why they are doing what they are doing. Somebody would eventually get help. Unless you are out in the countryside alone (which you never should be)

By the way, good point about the rifles. But I was thinking more of a handgun sittuation like in a city or a building.

Legally allowing guns is like a time bomb waiting to happen, if you need a gun to be able to defend yourself then you have to think what got you into that situation in the first place. It is my firm belief that anyone who carries a gun without good reason, ie military, is a criminal. Guns aren't toys, & no-body should be allowed to carry them round, there is no good reason.

Also the laws of reasonable force come into play, i don't know if this applies outside britain, but you are allowed to use any weapon that your opponant uses to defend yourself within the law, ie if they have a knife you can use a knife. Of course if you go over board & pull out a katana then you could be prosecuted.

The best method of defending your home was used by one person over here, but he got inprisoned for not doing it properly, he linked all his doors & windows up to the mains, & anyone who tried to break in got fried, someone did & they were killed & he was sent to prison, however if he had put up clear warning signs then he could not have been jailed.

Wouldnt that suck if he forgot to turn it off or if he was drunk or something and got killed by his own system.

Also, not everyone who is walking around will have acsess to a prearranged deathtrap for anyone who attacks them or others.

True, but surely by ARMING people you are creating more problems than you are solving, making it legal to buy & use guns is going to create a great deal of problems, that is why America has such a high rate of gun crimes compared to places like Britain.

Good point. Now gansters can legaly carry their ilegal weapons around, and technically cant be arrested unless they flash their weapon around or use it.

hes right they are both very fine women, why not have both.

it takes 2 to tango :wink:

you can't have 1....

I may be stepping on thin ice here, but imagine if you had both of them and they were into female domination.

Yikes! *running away VERY fast*

I'd still take Zofia. The Accent. The leather.