Sign in to follow this  
Luk3us

Fat Aussies

AUSTRALIA is officially the heavyweight champion of the world, according to figures showing the nation has a greater proportion of obese citizens than the US.

The latest comprehensive obesity study has shown that 26 per cent of adult Australians – almost four million – are now obese, one million more than the last calculation in 1999.

The findings give Australia top spot as the world's most overweight nation, ahead of the notoriously super-sized Americans, who have a 25 per cent obesity rate.

"That, unfortunately, makes us the heavyweight champions, a title we don't really want," said Professor Simon Stewart, head of preventative cardiology at the Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute.

Experts are now calling for extreme measures like gym discounting and denial of surgery based on body mass index (BMI) to rectify the situation.

The report, entitled Australia's Future Fat Bomb, was released ahead of the Federal Government's obesity inquiry.

It presents the results of height and weight checks carried out on 14,000 adult Australians nationwide in 2005, giving the most thorough picture of obesity since the AusDiab study in 1999.

The report reveals that nine million adults have a BMI over 25, making them overweight or obese, an increase from seven million.

Four million are obese, up from three million.

Middle-aged Australians are leading the way, with seven in 10 men and six in 10 women aged 45 to 64 now registering a BMI of 25 or more.

An analysis of the data shows that there will be an extra 700,000 heart-related hospital admissions in the next 20 years due to obesity alone.

Almost 125,000 people will die as a result, many prematurely.

"I would regard this as now the biggest threat to our future health," Prof Stewart said.

"As we send our athletes off to the Olympics let's reflect on the fact that we would win the gold medal now in the world fat Olympics if there was such a thing."

The report calls for a national weight loss strategy on the scale of smoking and skin cancer campaigns, including subsidising gym memberships and personal training sessions for heavier people.

Wait lists for surgery could be prioritised on the basis of weight loss.

"This isn't just targeting a small group," Prof Stewart said.

"We're talking about the majority who fit into these categories now.

"These are some of the controversial things we need to deal with because the healthcare system is going to be overwhelmed by weight-related hospitalisations from knee replacements through to heart attacks and strokes."

Professor Ian Caterson, director of the Institute of Obesity, Nutrition and Exercise at the University of Sydney, agreed such measures were needed.

"Governments have to start thinking outside the square because as we get fatter and older as a nation things are just going to get worse," Prof Caterson said.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23890071-29277,00.html

HA! Stupid fat Aussies, even fatter than the stupid Yanks! muahahha. :P

Thankfully not something I need to worry about, I am built like Calista Flockhart. Nothing like the Gladiators at all.

0,,6050705,00.jpg

Who are you calling fat?

A BMI of 4 would be incredibly unhealthy beyond starvation

Australia probably does have an obesity epidemic, but denying surgery and offering gym discounts on the basis of BMI is one of the stupidest suggestions I've ever heard. BMI is essentially useless for anyone remotely athletic or muscular. Hell, it's no use for the "average" person either--it completely ignores frame size, muscularity, bone density etc. Body composition is far more important.

And yeah, a BMI of 4 is impossible. A 5 foot 8 person would have to weigh around 12kg.

Edited by Shocker

my current BMI is 21.5 ._. i'm 5'6" and weigh like, 132lb... i used to weigh 90lb before i was on the anti-psych pills T_T (i put on 30lb in two weeks on olanzapine then another 12lbs later on under risperdal) now i feel pudgy... the second i'm off them i'm gonna try an lose weight again oo; admitedly at 90lb i was anorexic, but for the brief period when i was 100lb i had a PERFECT figure. so i'm gonna try an get that back =D

my current BMI is 21.5 ._. i'm 5'6" and weigh like, 132lb... i used to weigh 90lb before i was on the anti-psych pills T_T (i put on 30lb in two weeks on olanzapine then another 12lbs later on under risperdal) now i feel pudgy... the second i'm off them i'm gonna try an lose weight again oo; admitedly at 90lb i was anorexic, but for the brief period when i was 100lb i had a PERFECT figure. so i'm gonna try an get that back =D

Eat more McDonalds, fatty.

some guy lost like 80lbs eating at McDonalds, surprising even if it was salads and apples, it's still McDonalds

some guy lost like 80lbs eating at McDonalds, surprising even if it was salads and apples, it's still McDonalds

Not really, McDonalds has some of the best salads actually. They're very tasty and they're pretty light on calories (unless you absolutely HAVE to drown it in dressing ;))

A BMI of 4 would be incredibly unhealthy beyond starvation

Ah, my PE teacher is retarded...I looked it up, and apparently my BMI is 16.7; beat that :P

mine used to like, 14.2 or something xD and i eat McD's all the time T-T; though that's not why i put on weight o.O; i have a REALLY high metabolism so even when i'm eating constantly i lose weight X3; like i sad the anti-psych pills are changing my natural body weight, making it higher... so i just stick to that weight instead. the second i come off them i'll probably drop straight back down to 90 again xD;

Psh, you should know better Doctor Destiny :P

And so that's why you're so hyper mina...all those pills :lol:

actually these pills don't make me hyper oO; i'm just naturally quirky... olanzapine made me sleep all the time, aripiprazole made me stay up all the time and risperdal is making me stay awake at "normal" times... ie: waking up in the morning and going to bed at about 10pm... my usual sleep patterns are inverted. i'd be up all night and sleeping all day oO but i've gotten used to it now... so i don't mind so much o.o; only problem is if i finish the risperdal and my sleep patterns go back to normal i'm gonna miss all the shows i've become addicted to on daytime television T-T

but yah... i need to lose another 30 or 40lb... for that perfect figure :3

Pah, I don't know why people buy into this whole medication thing. I refuse to take pills and all that ****, I just don't like em'. It just **** with ya if you ask me, then you become reliant on the things...

I dunno, maybe I've seen far to many movies and such, but as a rule I never take pills, and when I do, I'm usually on the verge of death anyway, so it can't hurt, but the moment I feel even the slightest bit better I ditch em'... lol... :P

Guest Rabbit

I'm 5'9" and 135 pounds. Hah. I'm a skinny little ****ard.

Very intelligent, Luk3us. The only pills I'm on are Adderall XR, for ADD. I take a few vitamin supplements, but that's it. I always try to find natural solutions before turning to pills.

agreed. i never take pills unless i have to. at the moment i'm in a situation where i'm being forced to take them. if i dodge them i'm gonna get injected once a month >_>; and i'm scared of needles so i'll stick to the pills. but i won't have to take them anymore after this year *counts down the days til december* =D

and just wait until the start of next year :3 i'll be 100lb or 90lb again xD

lol.. That seems kind of a contradiction though, but oh well, good for you guys. :P

mine used to like, 14.2 or something xD and i eat McD's all the time T-T; though that's not why i put on weight o.O; i have a REALLY high metabolism so even when i'm eating constantly i lose weight X3; like i sad the anti-psych pills are changing my natural body weight, making it higher... so i just stick to that weight instead. the second i come off them i'll probably drop straight back down to 90 again xD;

I'd be really careful with that. My dad's brother used to have such a fast metabolism it was scary to see that son of a bitch eat, but he just harfed it down and never gained weight even though he didn't do much during the day.

He turned the 45-50ish bend and what do you know, he ate the same amount but his metabolism slowed to a grinding halt. Don't try and get used to eating a lot thinking your metabolism will always handle it :P

And pills, lol. I am just glad I hardly ever go (and trust...) doctors.

Psh, you should know better Doctor Destiny :P

And so that's why you're so hyper mina...all those pills :lol:

Oh, bold, fat, took me a second but I got it... I wonder what underlining or italics would indicate... do I wanna go there? No... no I don't.

And no, Mina just said they eats McD all the time, that explains why... :P

Pah, I don't know why people buy into this whole medication thing. I refuse to take pills and all that ****, I just don't like em'. It just **** with ya if you ask me, then you become reliant on the things...

I dunno, maybe I've seen far to many movies and such, but as a rule I never take pills, and when I do, I'm usually on the verge of death anyway, so it can't hurt, but the moment I feel even the slightest bit better I ditch em'... lol... :P

Pills seem more metal anyways, and I feel half of today's sicknesses are bull**** anyways. Too much energy.... run around? Restless leg syndrom, dear God, my leg, SHE'S RESTLESS! :P Gimme moar pills!

I'm 5'9" and 135 pounds. Hah. I'm a skinny little ****ard.

Yes, yes you are, eat moar McD skinny!

Even though we just claimed the worlds most overweight nation, we now have the worlds second longest life expectancy of 81.5 behind Japan with 82.2

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...426-601,00.html

If children keep getting fat, I suspect they'll realize that's an over-estimate.

ah... i can slow my eating right down when i want to o.o; when i weighed 90 some weeks i'd eat non-stop and other weeks i'd eat next to nothing... but yah... i hope my metabolism holds out. i don't always eat continously but it's nice to have the option y'know? xD