Sonic

Empire of the Rising Sun Trailer Now Available

As previously mentioned, the brand new Red Alert 3 Empire of the Rising Sun Trailer is now available for viewing at GameSpot. Its part of their preview of the third faction in Red Alert. You can watch or download the trailer right here. Or just watch it via the the CNCNZ.com YouTube Channel below.

Once your done watching the new trailer check out the new preview and screen shots.

Red Alert 3 takes place in an alternate reality in which the Cold War never ended, and all the fantastical scientific research and speculative weaponry of the 20th century actually became a reality. The series previously covered the conflict between the Soviets and the Western forces, but the third game adds a new playable faction, the Empire of the Rising Sun (powered by the fanatical armies of the Japanese).

This intriguing new faction apparently came about as a combination of the development team's plans to create a faction for skilled players who enjoy carefully micromanaging their armies, as well as from the team's favorite video games and pop culture from the Far East. For starters, basically all of Red Alert 3's units in all three factions have a secondary ability (which may either be toggled on or off, have an instantaneous effect, or require some sort of timed "cooldown" until it can be used again), and three of the Rising Sun's most powerful and flexible midlevel units possess the ability to sprout jet engines and take to the air.

thumb_screen48.jpg thumb_screen47.jpg thumb_screen46.jpg

thumb_screen45.jpg thumb_screen44.jpg

Click here to read the full preview.

Anyone got access to the HD version? :D

Anyone got access to the HD version? :D

Yea, that's what I'm wanting.

I as well, the mp4 version does not do the trailer any justice- Btw, was Gamespot a good idea? I mean, is it the most visited site? I would have given it to GTTV...

I as well, the mp4 version does not do the trailer any justice- Btw, was Gamespot a good idea? I mean, is it the most visited site? I would have given it to GTTV...

Or anyone that could've uploaded a HD without the mp4 format. Hell! was quicktime too much for them?!

Following on a comment from other thread... I laughed at the giant dolphines. Apparently the allies are now using Minke whales!!!

Looking at the screenshots now:

- I do really like the new sexy empire navy units with the sharp-blade-designs.

- and what I thought was a dragonfly - seems to be simply a helicopter that transforms to a walker.

- I still like the new APOC, but I feel like the scale is wrong. Maybe 20% bigger would be more impressive. Right now it could be confused for a heavy tank. In C&C3 there is a clear and distinct difference between a predator and mammy.

- I like the idea of amphibious units - but don't like the implementation so far in RA3. The telsa boat looks silly on legs, and the tsunami tank seems unbelievable on sea (although it is pretty sexy on land!)

Wow. The sleek Anime units look awesome.

Friendly Enviromental vs Heavy Industry vs The Gundams :lol:

I like the Dragonfly unit that transforms into the dinosaur and the SeaWing. I thought the concept on that was pretty slick.

I do agree with gben with the scale of the units. RA3 can look as cartoony as it wants too, but it kinda bugs me with the scale of some of these units.

And reguarding the King Oni, will the power of these units be balanced b/c it looks as though once you see an army of these things and they rush you, kss ur base goodbye.

You know, King Oni reminds me of Warcraft3's iron golem.

Something I've just noticed: The Soviet Nuclear Powerplant seriously needs to be redone. Right now it looks like a giant circus tent especially with that crappy mixture of colors (yellow, red and blue).

You know, King Oni reminds me of Warcraft3's iron golem.

Also, indeed the Oni looks more like a fantasy-genre golem than a giant mecha. If only they could've placed their lasers in the arms...

lol they're retarded....EotRS = Scrin? :haha:

I understand what those guys mean. The thing is, most of RTSs and other strategy games as a whole have at least 3 factions a. A 2-factioned game would have no place in such a competitive market like 21st century's.

The 3 faction structure is a thing Starcraft brought to the table and it's something that has just stuck. To be honest, a 2 faction game would still have a place in the market. The thing would be though, to make it more relevant to the gameplay, and have the factions extremely unique from each other. The best example of faction diversity I can think of would be Universe at War. OK, that had 3 factions, but one was rather crap and felt tacked on. But the 2 main factions, the Hierarchy and Novus, were complete polar opposites, but were still equally strong. Something like that could work effectively.

For those unaware of the sides. The Hierarchy were a faction built around bases as Giant walkers. They were extremely hard hitting, but the faction's build times were very slow and their economy to build such powerful weapons came at an extremely heavy price. Therefore the faction required a heavy amount of harvesters and often could clean the map rather quickly. Novus on the other hand were very light hitting, agile, cheap but extremely weak in the armour department, and bases were difficult to defend. Their economy was quick, and they were more dependant on greater numbers, plus hit and run tactics to get the job done.

Now in contrast, you could argue that it's a typical GDI Vs Nod sounding faction. But no, they were both heavily innovative diverse factions and the best since Starcraft itself. In order for an RTS to have 2 sides which don't feel like clones of each other with different armour and weapons values (like all 2 faction RTS games of the past), the above example is the extreme of which you'd have to go to. But they still operate around the rock, paper, scissors mechanic. And because of this, developers these days are not interested in pushing the envelope, they're more concerned with playing it safe.

So the best way to make factions look hugely diverse is to make a triple threat of sorts. Then you can run the typical rock, paper, scissors mechanic right into the ground (which is harder to do with 2 factions). Since every faction will have a number or rocks, papers and scissors in one of 3 alternating weapons Tiers (which is the reason C&C 3 has such an upgrade structure)... thus, it's a simple, lazy, yet effective way to create an RTS in this manner than try for anything more complex, imaginative or even innovative. It's the power of 3.... which makes it an easy recyclable template to use over and over with very little effort when developing a balanced game.

Of course though, once you get into 4 or more faction territory, then you've gotta create a Relic entertainment "Dawn of war" style game where 3 factions operate as the norm, and the rest are exactly the same as one of the other 3, but with different models and textures. This is the problem with the RTS... No one developer is capable of breaking out of the RPS mechanic, because (1) They don't know how to, and (2) Such innovation is a risk that in today's market, it's not a financially viable option should another untested mechanic be found in case the game flops. So it's best to use the tried and tested method which in today's market, makes the RTS a rather stale Genre.

You guys over analyse everything to much.... here's what I saw in the trailer..... lots of action, lots of explosions, a peek at the EotRS (even though I've already seen them) and all set to an awesome sounding new version of Hell March.

You guys over analyse everything to much.... here's what I saw in the trailer..... lots of action, lots of explosions, a peek at the EotRS (even though I've already seen them) and all set to an awesome sounding new version of Hell March.

You under analyse everything too little. Behind every particle from a kickass explosion anim, there's a thousand stories to be told.

I dislike that Burst Drone dragonfly thing and that other flying ladybug thing. (That is I dislike them being bugs, not necessarily their functions.)

I also dislike the aircraft locomotors a lot.

And something about that Hell March seems off to me although I'll reserve final judgment for later of course.

Am I to understand that there will be repair drones around War Factories instead of some sort of repair pad? (Either separate or attached to the factories as in Generals.)

yes - generals style repair drones.

What does EA has againt service depots??

I think Ra3 will be a fun game though

hahah Youtube lol.. Its like the EA forums, only better! :P

a=He got locked up by the allies in a sort of chamber

b=He met a dinosaur

Yuri is out of the picture..... for now

About the Sea Wing:

underwater mode= underwater airplane

air mode= flying boat

In any case: Hell March 3 rocks!!

Yuri is out of the picture..... for now

and soon to be back for the add on pack i hear.

"Yuri's We've been there already!"

Nice trailer BTW...and as always,good music from Frank.