Sonic

C&C Generals 2 Rumours Begin to Surface

Its time to open what I like to called the "C&C community rumour file". Its where I file all the unconfirmed stories about future C&C games. Since the news of the Red Alert 3: Premier Edition was posted more rumours and speculation have started to surface that C&C Generals 2 could be the next game in the pipeline from EALA after Red Alert 3. One of the features included in the Red Alert 3: Premier Edition is an "Exclusive Beta Key to a future C&C game". Many have guessed that this could be the C&C based FPS, Tiberium. But since then it has been discovered that EA have registered the domain name generals2.com.

I don't know how you continue something that never really had a storyline to begin with. To me Generals and Zero Hour were simply a bunch of random missions that came with a well balanced multiplayer game. Anyway, let the speculation continue.

Just getting a domain name isn't really proof of anything tbh. Lots companies buy up domain names long before they release games. But we already know all this.

I suppose its possible they do Generals 2. Since they have already done TW and RA3. lol, I guess they could do a Dune game or BFME3, rofl... :P

Generals 2 wouldn't bother me to be honest so long as they stick a damn storyline to it this time. The way I see it is this:

• Tiberium Universe - Set deep into the future with high-tech Sci-fi using highly futuristic vehicles, and serious storyline
  • Red Alert Universe - Set in the past with low to high-tech units and Structures. Although with a slight sci-fi twist. Slapstick and funny storyline.
  • Generals Universe - Set amongst and inspired by Modern Day conflicts. Serious yet realistic modern tones using all current combat technology with a realistic high-tech twist.
It's really a perfect combination. And well, people might moan, but I'd welcome it strongly... We could do with another Modern combat C&C, I like a good dash of realistic RTS gaming. Bring back the Horizontal bar in that, and the rig system again by ruling out con-yards... Might be a chance to create a Brand new higher definition, next Generation SAGE Engine too! :P

What you'll have to understand though is that the end of this Generals could be another cycle of C&C development completed. We will then be set for another 2 quiet years while BfME takes centre stage. The Hobbit is due out in 2010 & 2011... EA still hold the full Tolkein License and are going to want to use it.

That means we can probably expect an announcement for C&C 4 in 2011 with it being released close to early 2012, then it'll follow up with Red Alert 4, Tiberium 2 and then Generals 3, then BfME4 which will probably use what content there is in other Tolkein Books.

This to me could possibly be EALA's RTS strategy.

It's like a dream come true...

Edited by Renamon

generals is not CnC, end of story.

RA3 is going to be the first CnC that i won't buy, and by the looks of it, there's going to be more to come that i won't touch...

My guess is that the beta key is for Tiberium. But seriously, buying the domain is probably an indication that they have discussed the idea and don't want the domain to be bought by someone else while they continue to plan. Everything is still only rumors.

generals is not CnC, end of story.

RA3 is going to be the first CnC that i won't buy, and by the looks of it, there's going to be more to come that i won't touch...

I agree there. I might buy RA3 just for the skirmish, but probably not. Im probably just going to wait for that Tiberium game. Really wish theyd just do Renegade 2, but ill take what i can get i guess.

I want more Generals. BRING ON THE GLA!

At least someone mirrors my sentiments.

Generals in my eyes was and still is (until I pass judgement on Red Alert 3) The best EA developed RTS for gameplay. For a modern conflict RTS it also contained the best factions, the best units, and perhaps some of the best design also of any RTS of its time. A lot of it still holds up pretty well in my opinion. The level design for Generals is still miles ahead of C&C 3, and based on what I've seen so far, I think the level design of Generals will eclipse Red Alert 3's in the multiplayer arena.

Bring on Generals 2!

Oh and for all you guys debating to buy Red Alert 3... It's your loss... Indeed I have a few doubts, but the game has got bags of potential. If they can pull it off properly we could be looking at the best C&C to ever grace the market since the original Red Alert!

I don't know how you continue something that never really had a storyline to begin with. To me Generals and Zero Hour were simply a bunch of random missions that came with a well balanced multiplayer game. Anyway, let the speculation continue.

Agreed.

Never thought of Generals as a true C&C game anyway.

Edited by Pyrodaimon

Maybe not a "true" C&C Game but who cares. They slapped the C&C title to an awesome game to make people buy it - which they did otherwise it probably would have sold a lot less. Generals is one of my favourite rts games of all time. I fully agree with Saracen ;)

...But since then it has been discovered that EA have registered the domain name generals2.com.

That inspires me... :unsure:

woops :)

That means we can probably expect an announcement for C&C 4 in 2011 with it being released close to early 2012, then it'll follow up with Red Alert 4, Tiberium 2 and then Generals 3, then BfME4 which will probably use what content there is in other Tolkein Books.

Why would you think C&C4 will be released in 2011? I am already seeing a pattern here. A new RA game is released every 4 years except in 2004 since 1996.

If you look at the release dates of C&C1 and RA1 all the way to C&C3 and RA3, the dates are in a pattern. A new C&C game is released the year before a leap year and a new RA game is released on the year of a Summer Olympic Games and the US presidential election. Generals/Zero Hour were a bit different despite the first release of Generals in 2003 and Zero Hour the next year.

But really Generals/Zero Hour SP & MP = FAIL. Why? Tons of bugs and glitches and the lack of a real story along with them. Even the line of path and attack always formulates a straight line instead of separate directions and poor waypoints too. Therefore if there's going to be a Generals 2 (or even Zero Hour 2), don't bother. The magazine, PC Gamer, will give another poor grade unless the development of this game (possibly by EALA) must meet the standards and innovations on how Company of Heroes was made. So else it's another epic fail to a C&C game.

As for Tiberium 2, we haven't known for any good expectaions because it hasn't been released yet.

I agree with Saracen with everything he said- the developement cycle, how it fits to have three universes with differing gameplay and settings, that Generals could be quite a cool game if this time, they pay attention to the single player content, and last but not least, that everyone who gives RA3 a pass misses a superb game- except the level design. Visually, both KW and RA3 blow the flat, uninspired KW/Gen maps out of the water.

Edited by hagren

Never a big fan on Generals, but still gave it a try. Did not consider it true C&C material at first but it then dawned on me.

I will give Gen2 a try. Needs cutscenes and the classic HUD tho.

I prefered dozer tbh.

I prefered dozer tbh.

Agreed. I love the worker build style much more than construction yard, but the con yard is staple C&C so it's not fail.

I have a feeling Generals 2 is going to be better than Generals/ZH. Generals was the first C&C RTS game EA developed by themselves after Westwood was merged in. I think EA has learned and understood what the C&C community is asking for and wants.

EA knows they ****ed up a lot of things with Generals... especially trying to brand it a C&C game.

If they do make Generals 2, make it Generals 2. And not C&C Generals with an MCV.. :(

Lets hope they can balance things correctly....

i dont feel like another generals 2 GLA OP Quad cannon spam game..

My guess is that the beta key is for Tiberium.

Well: I disagree with the key being for Tiberium: As EA themselves said that they are not going to add the C&C to the title, so even if it is set in the C&C Tiberium Universe, they won't call it C&C (I don't remember the reasons currently, but I remember that it was/is that way).

So calling the game a future C&C game with EA themselve saying that it is not part of it that doesn't make much sense, does it?

Edited by ghost_zero

I like how a lot of you are talking about Generals 2 as if its officially been announced or something :lol:

If Generals 2 does become a reality I can already see myself showing hardly any interest, but that's just basing it on what Generals served up, which was a dull and uninspiring game. I have a major problem with seeing a sequel to a game that totally ****ing sucked big time with its single player content.