Sonic

Chris Corry Comments on RA3's Copy Protection

amen Banshee... And the guy in the 2nd video is spot on. This is why my friend helps others around the world to make cracks, so the legitimate users can play their games.

I had to do the same with Frontlines: Fuel of War... SecuROM shoved a big digital "FU" up at me, so I cracked it just so I can play thing. The irony is I only have one drive as well.

This copy protection will only bite users in the ass 5-10 years down the road when the install limits are used up. God knows how many times I've installed the original C&C's over the last 13 years under different PC configurations... The whole thing is a ticking time bomb for legitimate users.

Regardless of what is said elsewhere. When the day comes where we have hundreds of people in our forums complaining about the fact they've used their install limit for a 5-10 year old Red Alert 3. I will take a disregard to the forum rules, stick my middle finger up at EA, and recommend these cracks to loyal consumers.

I always buy original for C&C games.

Now about the install limit of 5, I am abit disturbed. I don't mind having to use the disc to play, since it has always been that way. Therefore, I don't feel that "to play without the disc" is not that attractive to me at all...

So details are finalised?

Oh yeah, another issue. In EA's trial and error search they made Battlefield 2142 use a copy protection thing that made my dvd drive unable to read it. I can use it with another dvd drive, but it means unplugging half my pc. (Since i have to unplug both a secondary harddisk And the other dvd drive)...

... Just to start a game.

EA's copy protection can go screw itself.

Im actually quite happy with this system. Ok i can only install it 5 times, but i wont come near that in the near future. And at the point that that does become an issue, a simple email to ea customer support will fix this anyway. As far as i see it its not that much of a issue sending an email to EA in 5 years time explaining that i need to install it on my new pc for whatever reason if it helps prevent theft in any way and allows me to play without the disks legally.

And as far as all those people that proclaim that because you purchase the the game you can do whatever you want with it, maybe you should read into what you are purchasing in future. I know of very few games that give you this right from purchasing the disk. What you are purchasing is the right to install and run the game. If you think you have the rights to do whatever you want with a game you purchased go try renaming and reselling Generals and see how far you get.

And at the point that that does become an issue, a simple email to ea customer support will fix this anyway.

Now tell me, how do you contact EA support to ask for this kind of help?

And Chris Corry's words on how EA support can reenable your key may sound pretty, but he forgot the main detail: EA support is not trained to give away keys like that. They'll simply say that your key has expired, to buy another copy. Of course, you get that kind of answer after many emails exchanged, usually takes some days.

Edited by Banshee

I liked this comment at the ppm site...

It's not really a rental either...

It's more a James Bond esque

'This product will explode in 4 installs... 3 installs...'

Clearly DRM is simply EALA's method from extracting themselves for responsibility when they release the 25th anniversary pack of C&C, and we're complaining about a patch to get RA3 working on the latest version of windows!!! :)

I never really paid attention, is the same DRM protection on the $20 re-branded games in Australia (the 'classic' resellers).

Edited by gben

**** EA. I'M NOT BUYING FROM EA.

They crossed the line with Spore.

And they're doing the same thing to RA3.

EA needs to stop treating its customers like criminals. I'm offended by what they're doing, therefore I will not be their customer.

Someone who buys the game isn't going to pirate it. But EA thinks every1 who buys the game is also going to download it illegally online.

**** DRM

I've already passed 5 installs on C&C 3.

If that was RA3, I'd need to call them everytime I want to install it now.

So I can't install it on a bunch of PCs to have a Lan Game, and they all need to be able to connect online to activate.

If I don't have ready internet at the moment, then I can't play the game.

Spore is even worse. Only 3 installs WTF.

I'm not ever buying EA as long as they have DRM protection. May EA burn and die.

I wasn't a EA hater b4. I actually liked them. Now they are the top of my Hate List.

May their sales of Spore and RA3 fail and fail.

I don't want to see RA3 fail, tbh. The devs would not deserve it, the game would not deserve it, and the franchise would not either.

I don't want to see RA3 fail, tbh. The devs would not deserve it, the game would not deserve it, and the franchise would not either.

Well sorry, I prefer not to let EA install a program that does stuff without my permission. I love my C&C, but I also love my privacy.

You mean SecuROM? CnC3 came with it too, as do/did/will many games. Also, it does not need an active connection after you activated it.

RA3's DRM stuff is fine with me. I'll probably never need to install the game no more than twice anyway.

...And at the point that that does become an issue, a simple email to ea customer support will fix this anyway....

You'd be surprised.

It's not really a rental either...

It's more a James Bond esque

'This product will explode in 4 installs... 3 installs...'

Actually Mission Impossible but whatever :P From memory I don't ever remember a timed explosive thing like the IMF briefings in Bond.

On the topic of RA3: I think I will still buy it. But it is very disappointing really.

One thing you guys are forgetting. You can install more than 5 times with this game... The only thing you need to do is to be online when you uninstall the game, and then you get an install back into the kitty. If you were to install when your comp is connected to the net, and then in the future decided to uninstall when your internet is cut off, then you wouldn't get back that install, so your limit would be down to 4.

Apoc has confirmed this fact on the official forums...

Well there you go, everyone can quit bitching about it then.

One thing you guys are forgetting. You can install more than 5 times with this game... The only thing you need to do is to be online when you uninstall the game, and then you get an install back into the kitty. If you were to install when your comp is connected to the net, and then in the future decided to uninstall when your internet is cut off, then you wouldn't get back that install, so your limit would be down to 4.

Apoc has confirmed this fact on the official forums...

And Chris Corry has corrected that later in the same topic:

Quick update. As many conversations as I’ve had about this, it turns out I got an important detail wrong so I need to clarify something important.

An uninstall does not return the entitlement to the user. I’ll be updating my original post to reflect this.

Only five unique machines can be licensed with the same installation code. So you will be limited to a total of five machine activations.

However, we will ensure that nobody gets left in the lurch. Our customer service organization is committed to granting additional authorizations on a case- by-case basis for those folks who have good reason to need additional installs.

I am really sorry about the confusion, guys. I asked several people about this and thought I had it down, but obviously didn't. Totally my bad.

OK then, maybe not..

Reinstate Hell!!!! :P

Umm, even if it was true, it doesn't matter. SecuROM is a crappy program that needs to be stop being used.

An uninstall does not return the entitlement to the user.

Well then, maybe it's about time they change it. I mean that was a good plan while it lasted, faux as it were.

Ok so its 5 five machine activations. Does that mean if I format my hard drive and reinstall Windows, no hardware changes are made, it won't use up an activation because the game is being reinstalled on the exact same hardware again?

Ok so its 5 five machine activations. Does that mean if I format my hard drive and reinstall Windows, no hardware changes are made, it won't use up an activation because the game is being reinstalled on the exact same hardware again?

Apparently not from what he said....and I have to say, I love this quote from the site TBO linked:

Originally posted by blkhnd112

EA support?

Whats that????!?!? confused.gif

I've tried contacting their support too, and it just never works out well....

If you simply reinstall it, it won't count as a new activation. If you reformat it, it should count as a new activation.

After all these times and since the beta is closing, I wonder will EA focus on our DRM problems here.

After reading the Spore lawsuit document, apparently in my opinion, the biggest fear I'm worried about is NOT the installation limitation, my biggest fear is about the computer crashing. Shouldn't we worry about that now after we install RA3, will it crash our computers? Will RA3 become like Spore?

Spore didn't crash computers. There was a misinterpretation of the lawsuit that said such, but that isn't the true case.