Saracen

We're All Going To Die!

well y'know let's face it... a transformer that big blowing up? yah that's pretty darn serious and they were saying there wasn't gonna be anything wrong with it >_>; i like how you foresaw that one scientists! 8D an that was a standard accident. what would happen if there was a full on complex problem they didn't expect? :\

well y'know let's face it... a transformer that big blowing up? yah that's pretty darn serious and they were saying there wasn't gonna be anything wrong with it >_>; i like how you foresaw that one scientists! 8D an that was a standard accident. what would happen if there was a full on complex problem they didn't expect? :\

A standard accident -.- they had no idea this was coming, they tried to cover it up but they couldn't that doesn't make it standard, accidents aren't standard.

lawl XD that works. but ya, it's a standard accident. there are standard ones, like things just breaking down and then there are special accidents. when really unusual situations end up with something rare and dangerous happening, like a nuclear power plant going boom. it's still an accident but it's so unlikely to happen, it's special o.o but if they can't plan for standard accidents, how are they gonna cope with a special accident?

Since ByTwo's thread on CERN was closed because of this thread, I have no qualms about necro-posting here. First, some problems in what has been stated so far.

From what my physics teacher said, I guess they're trying to recreate particles even smaller than electrons and protons and whatnot, they do this by stripping electrons (greena nd blue circles) from atoms then flinging them around the tube (yellow area) until they crash into each other, then sensors on the outside of the tube (red area) record energy (green and blue dots) in the sectors (purple areas), because tiny particles only exist for a matter of nanoseconds because they recombine into larger particles.

This is actually somewhat the opposite of the truth: although protons and neutrons are made of smaller particles called quarks, quarks are much larger than an electron. There are no theoretical quarks that have yet to be detected in an accelerator, and both quarks and electrons are theorized to be the smallest particles of matter in existence. The LHC is not, as asserted here, supposed to break protons down into smaller particles, but rather to combine them into larger particles. By the equation E=m(c^2), two high particles that collide while traveling near the speed of light relative to one another will produce a "soup" of new particles, with the soup having a total mass far larger than the combined mass of the two original particles.

The purpose of the experiment is to re-create conditions in the Universe moments after the Big Bang. The 27km structure will fire two proton beams, steered in opposite directions around the LHC at close to the speed of light, completing about 11,000 laps each second. We're in for one major collision in the name of Science.

So let's discuss what will the results be? Will scientists make some great new findings? Or like the apocalypse obsessed, will we all be sucked into black holes, endure massive earth quakes, and exploding planet, or be stuck in an infinite time loop?

To make things absolutely clear, the LHC will be simulating a cosmic ray impact. These impacts occur every second of every day. The only difference in the LHC is that the scientists will now know where the impact will occur (because they are causing the impact), and can thus position their measuring equipment accordingly.

A massive particle accelerator is being made in Switzerland and France called a Large Hadron Collider

They are going to smash 2 sub-atomic particles together in an attempt to simulate the Big Bang

If splitting the atom causes an Atomic Explosion, smashing them together is D*** SCARY!

Several things:

1. Again, the LHC is going to be simulating a cosmic ray impact, not the Big Bang.

2. There is already a weapon that smashes atoms together: the hydrogen bomb.

Again, the LHC is going to be simulating a cosmic ray impact, not the Big Bang.

Where did the very common idea come from? (PS it is also referred to in school textbooks as simulating the big bang)

(E=m(c^2) is like a cheap calculator ;E=mc² it isn't hard to Wikipedia the mathematical symbols)

Edited by BlyTwo

(E=m(c^2) is like a cheap calculator ;E=mc² it isn't hard to Wikipedia the mathematical symbols)

Why bother when it means the same thing and takes less time

yea i thought about that too, and i think he's just offended by quad's remarks...trying to make any offense he can..

i smell something burning

I was glad when this topic lost interest... how sad it received CPR...

fission=atomic bomb

fusion=hydrogen bomb

Note, rEdaSbLood, hydrogen bombs have a fission bomb in them, that is how a fusion bomb works.

I only have brief knowledge of the LHC, i first heard of in on Discovery Channel, then it was Google's topic of the day, so i don't know much about it other than it is INTENSE!

Edited by BlyTwo

it's really not that intense. it was a little like, the night before it went on because no-one 100% positively knew what would happen; there was always the chance something horrible might have happened... admitly if the worst happened it would probably have been a small fizzle or explosion, blowing up the building at MOST. but y'know... we're not dead, nothing has blown up yet... so not that much to get intense about. you could say the same about any nuclear power plant. it's possible something could go wrong but i'm not gonna spend the rest of my life watching security cameras in hope of seeing the world end live...

right now the intense stuff is trying to gather enough money to get all the kickass games that are coming out now... i mean for years and years there's been nothing but crud released. now all of a sudden all the games we've all been waiting for, for so long are being released in one constant stream... started with spore a while ago (even if that one was a bit of a flop, it was VERY eagerly awaited...) an the latest ones are red alert 3 and fallout 3... soon there will be left 4 dead, call of duty: world at war, gears of war 2 (which i think got released like, today in north america o.O so it'll be in europe in a day or two... not that i'm getting it. but it's an eagerly awaited game by everyone else's standards...)

but yah. left 4 dead i've been waiting for, for YEARS. call of duty i only heard about a little recently but the more i hear about it the better ^-^

Where did the very common idea come from? (PS it is also referred to in school textbooks as simulating the big bang)

I do not know from where the idea came, but it is wrong, or at least deeply flawed. The LHC cannot possibly simulate the Big Bang, because the LHC does not put anywhere near enough energy into the particles to come close to produce anything even resembling a simulation of the Big Bang. Particles in the LHC can have an energy of up to 7,000 GeV (citation), which is a high enough energy to simulate the so-called "electroweak epoch," but completely insignificant compared to the energy needed to simulate the so-called "grand unification epoch," which was preceded by the "Planck epoch."

it's really not that intense.

On the contrary, it is incredibly intense. When it comes online for real, the LHC will provide us with new data that is absolutely critical to refining some of our most valued scientific models, including the Standard Model. The LHC might also offer proof of Supersymmetry and/or evidence of higher spacial dimensions (i.e., directions other than up/down, left/right, and forward/backward).

Woah trippy :o

lol I highly doubt it, but we'll see

The word phenomenon is used for things that happen, but don't follow the normal rules/expectancy

phenomena happen a lot, most are unreleased to the public, basically anything can happen at any time, anything can disobey the laws of physics and chemistry at any time...

Yeah, but then laws are changed to suite the phenomena, therefore it is no longer phenomena just theory

a great man once said, and as a video game once said, and as has been proven to me...

nothing is true, all is possible

a great man once said, and as a video game once said, and as has been proven to me...

nothing is true... ...

except for that

(i finally found a place in the world where people know more than just how to put one foot in front of another and follow the mindless path of the pathetic modern education <at least i hope>)

Edited by BlyTwo

noooo you've found a place where everyone has managed to get master qualifications in every field... XD

but at least it's not like counter-strike. here at least most people know roughly what they are talking about... it makes for some good discussion so long as we avoid outright arguing ^^

when i said "not that intense" i mean if something goes wrong it's not gonna blow up the world or create a nuclear explosion is it? i mean surely it would only just blow up the building. the nearby area tops... i mean i honestly don't know, and the scientists said they didn't know originally. i don't know what's changed since then, if anything... but i don't much like the idea of something that could blow up the world getting switched on y'know...

if it changes the world of science forever, then yey. but other then that unless it's gonna have some kind of impact on my everyday life i don't see why i should worry about it or think about it...

i mean in all honesty what does it matter to us exactly what it does? none of us are physics scientists that are working on the project... so y'know...

there are potential dangers...like a microscopic black hole being created and slowly eating the world...but they are all extremely unlikely...

its the stuff of movies really, and it seems like it would never happen. you turn on the news and they report the slow end of the world due to this machine. so surreal. but so was 9/11.

what it comes down to is the question of life, pondered thoroughly within philosophy:

if you were to find out that you would die within 24hrs., would you be happy with your life? what would you be prepared to do?

thought so. chances are that even in the worst case scenario nothing will really happen... but if there was a black hole, we'd have more then enough time to create titan ships and launch the world's (rich and middle class XD) population into space before the world was eaten...

an if i only had 24 hours. hmm... i'd probably just do what i usually do and have fun. either that or i'd just leave... sneak onboard a plane and fly somewhere. y'know, go to canada or something. try to meet up with my friends. it would probably be easier (a lot so) if in 24 hours an asteroid was going to blow up the world... then you could do whatever you wanted without having to worry about money xD everyone would be looting an stuff o.o dunno how i'd get a plane though... might end up having to pilot one myself... in theory i could do it. so long as it has fuel and there is nothing blocking the runway. landing might be a problem... but actually getting there shouldn't be too hard with today's technology. in the very least i'd just bring a GPS on there with me xD

there are potential dangers...like a microscopic black hole being created and slowly eating the world...but they are all extremely unlikely...

Thats all just imaginations going wild. If a black hole was created it would collapse in on itself almost straight away anyway