Saracen

We're All Going To Die!

well i heard there were theories that it could do something bad...

just a question to ponder that's all.. :unsure:

mina you would be wasting time flying, and why would people loot if they are going to die in 24hrs?

why would people loot if they are going to die in 24hrs?

Because people are idiots. I believe they would, by looting, they can acquire anything they want with almost no consequences.

when i said "not that intense" i mean if something goes wrong it's not gonna blow up the world or create a nuclear explosion is it? i mean surely it would only just blow up the building. the nearby area tops... i mean i honestly don't know, and the scientists said they didn't know originally. i don't know what's changed since then, if anything... but i don't much like the idea of something that could blow up the world getting switched on y'know...

The LHC would not produce anything near the scale of a nuclear explosion. Firstly, they are not using anywhere near enough material to produce any dangerous explosions: even if the particles would to spontaneously turn into antimatter, there would not be nearly enough to do significant damage. I can state this with absolute certainty because the majority of the particles' mass/energy comes from the energy added by the accelerator itself, and that energy comes from a power grid. Therefore, even if the particles turn into antimatter, they can explode with only as much energy as was put into them by the power grid.

if it changes the world of science forever, then yey. but other then that unless it's gonna have some kind of impact on my everyday life i don't see why i should worry about it or think about it...

i mean in all honesty what does it matter to us exactly what it does? none of us are physics scientists that are working on the project... so y'know...

When this comes up, it is every scientist's first instinct to cite the case of Maxwell's equations. When Maxwell first wrote/compiled these equations, they were little more than a scientific curiosity. However, they had the interesting result of implying that light was a wave made of electric fields and magnetic fields. Moreover, Maxwell's equations also showed how similar waves could be generated by certain electrical circuits, and that is how the radio was invented.

The "moral" behind this is that one cannot know the benefits of a certain line of scientific inquiry until after the research has been completed.

Furthermore, as a resident of this universe, do you have no thirst for knowledge of how the universe works? About why we are made of matter instead of antimatter? Why there are galaxies, stars, and planets instead of diffuse gas? I suppose that it is none of my business if these questions do not interest you, but they are important questions, at least in a cosmological, "Why are we here?" sense.

there are potential dangers...like a microscopic black hole being created and slowly eating the world...but they are all extremely unlikely...

As has already been pointed out, any black hole created would decay away before it could do any serious damage. We can be fairly certain of this because cosmic rays, which continually bombard our upper atmosphere, can have energies up to 10^11 GeV, far higher than the than the 7000 GeV that is the upper limit on the LHC's particles.

The "moral" behind this is that one cannot know the benefits of a certain line of scientific inquiry until after the research has been completed.

Furthermore, as a resident of this universe, do you have no thirst for knowledge of how the universe works? About why we are made of matter instead of antimatter? Why there are galaxies, stars, and planets instead of diffuse gas? I suppose that it is none of my business if these questions do not interest you, but they are important questions, at least in a cosmological, "Why are we here?" sense.

This is a very important point. It disgusts me when I hear people badmouth scientists, and astronomers in particular.

Actually, now that I think about it, the people who say those things the most to me like biology. I'm not sure what to make of that.. :mellow:

In total agreeance with QuadHelix

damn scientists always disproving religion XD nah jus kidding

but it would be pretty crazy if we did find something important out of this, but the amount of data that can be collected from just one collision can be hundreds of man-hours to decipher and document, plus it's a really good way to get around doing physicis XD my physics teacher will talk about anything but physics XD

this machine, as i understand it, is the physics equivalent to the human genome.

Edited by rEdaSbLood

hooo boy... yaaaah you're completely missing my point there. i'm just saying everyone has gotten obsessed over nothing. even if it did somehow do something amazingly destructive because the scientists miscalculated something (and believe me, they will miscalculate something. because not even the rain man could work out every single little possible outcome to a new experiment that hasn't been tried before...) but the thing is that everyone goes over the top because they read a simple news story about it. 99% of the people know nothing about anything to do with the project... and everyone talks about it to their friends. it's as bad as celebrity gossip. unless the celeb has said something themselves, it's all just made up rumour.

and that other 1%? they are either the project crew, scientists or people who are trying to make themselves look better by googling intellectual facts. i mean honestly, did you know all that already or did you have to look up all the little facts to seem more impressive? big talk is all fair and dandy in MENSA but this is just a gaming forum. half of the people here can't even spell basic words let alone know the technical details behind scientific facts...

my overall point is that unless something is definately going to wipe us out, no-one really cares. we could sit here for years and years coming up with theories as to what could happen and debunk them. i mean i could just turn around and say "oh, if i stuck this screwdriver in the fridge so the light stays on when i close the door, it would open a portal to another dimension and 200ft pink winged unicorns would fly out and kill everyone by shooting rainbow eye lasers" and then everyone here would spend the next month trying to prove why every little thing i said wasn't possible...

i mean wasting time on all this does nothing besides inflate people's egos when they make a remotely impressive post. the only reason i could understand using all this scientific knowledge in a place like this would be if you were, say, in college studying for a doctorate in physics or whatever and you deal with these things all the time in your studies. i however, most definately am not. i'm a failed arts student who will be taking some computer graphic courses next year. i don't pretend to know the sciences behind it, nor do i wiki facts. all i want to know is "if something goes wrong, is this thing going to blow up the world? if it doesn't do that, will it seriously affect my way of life?" and we've established it won't (or at least, probably won't unless some random thing happens which the scientists never expected. like 200ft unicorns appearing from a microscopic blackhole which was there for a fraction of a second xD)

sooooo y'know... until we get an update on something amazing happening with the project maybe we should just let all the pointless talk die ne? o.o

hooo boy... yaaaah you're completely missing my point there. i'm just saying everyone has gotten obsessed over nothing.

And I was saying that you were right: the LHC would have difficult time destroying anything at all, so all the panic is over absolutely nothing.

even if it did somehow do something amazingly destructive because the scientists miscalculated something (and believe me, they will miscalculate something. because not even the rain man could work out every single little possible outcome to a new experiment that hasn't been tried before...) but the thing is that everyone goes over the top because they read a simple news story about it. 99% of the people know nothing about anything to do with the project... and everyone talks about it to their friends. it's as bad as celebrity gossip. unless the celeb has said something themselves, it's all just made up rumour.

The main problem originates from the fact that there was some very hopeful speculation that the LHC could create a black hole, which would be evidence of higher dimensions. The black hole would be too small to do anything dangerous and would radiate away almost instantly, but the idea that black holes are incredibly dangerous and destructive is widespread enough, at least among certain circles, to cause panic. Then, of course, everyone else hears the people in those circles say that the LHC is going to destroy the world, and the rumor spreads from there.

and that other 1%? they are either the project crew, scientists or people who are trying to make themselves look better by googling intellectual facts. i mean honestly, did you know all that already or did you have to look up all the little facts to seem more impressive? big talk is all fair and dandy in MENSA but this is just a gaming forum. half of the people here can't even spell basic words let alone know the technical details behind scientific facts...

Not only did I look stuff up, I cited what I looked up! Part of it was for elaboration (such as with Maxwell's law), but part of it was because I did not remember the names and energy scales of the Planck epoch, grand unification epoch, and the electroweak epoch. Therefore, to make any sort of assertion about them, I had to look them up.

my overall point is that unless something is definately going to wipe us out, no-one really cares. we could sit here for years and years coming up with theories as to what could happen and debunk them. i mean i could just turn around and say "oh, if i stuck this screwdriver in the fridge so the light stays on when i close the door, it would open a portal to another dimension and 200ft pink winged unicorns would fly out and kill everyone by shooting rainbow eye lasers" and then everyone here would spend the next month trying to prove why every little thing i said wasn't possible...

And my point is that it is truly sad if all we are concerned about is whether or not the LHC will destroy the world, when it will be a source of incredible knowledge about how the world works.

i mean wasting time on all this does nothing besides inflate people's egos when they make a remotely impressive post. the only reason i could understand using all this scientific knowledge in a place like this would be if you were, say, in college studying for a doctorate in physics or whatever and you deal with these things all the time in your studies. i however, most definately am not. i'm a failed arts student who will be taking some computer graphic courses next year. i don't pretend to know the sciences behind it, nor do i wiki facts.

Good luck with the graphics courses!

As for a doctorate in Physics, I'm still an undergrad, so I can only do a major, not a doctorate.

all i want to know is "if something goes wrong, is this thing going to blow up the world? if it doesn't do that, will it seriously affect my way of life?" and we've established it won't (or at least, probably won't unless some random thing happens which the scientists never expected. like 200ft unicorns appearing from a microscopic blackhole which was there for a fraction of a second xD)
Refer back to my example of Maxwell's equations: even if nothing goes wrong, the LHC may still significantly affect your life.

sooooo y'know... until we get an update on something amazing happening with the project maybe we should just let all the pointless talk die ne? o.o

Sure.

i understood your point, but does that mean i should stop talking or only talk about your point?

ne i'm just saying we should stop talking about all the random crud saying the universe is gonna implode, explode, turn into pretty rainbows and feature shatner singing "it's the end of the world (as we know it)" all across the sky... XD though if that happened it would be pretty entertaining to see o.O

thankies for the confidence boost ^-^ i recently received info saying the courses won't be until next year some time. yey. more time to laze about...

but yah if we're talking about all the scientific benefits it will hopefully offer then yeah go ahead... but all the lame "WE'RE GUNNA DIE N STUFF D:" is a little pointless when we know it won't happen o.o;

As for a doctorate in Physics, I'm still an undergrad, so I can only do a major, not a doctorate.

Hooray for Science Undergrads ;)

the end of the world thing started with simply when the age of Ares went to the next Aeon, age, Pisces

then soon fanatics kept thinking the world was going to end from the translation

"I will be with you, even to the end of the world"

when it, properly tranlated means:

"I will be with you, even to the end of the aeon"

but the psychotic sounding 'impossible' situations are predicted worst scenarios, it is unimaginably important to prepare for the worst, and if the reaction is small, you have a "metre thick titanium wall to block your potato gun" better be safe then sorry...

just for some reason... i get the feeling that a certain freeman clone will screw something up at the wrong moment and create an impossible situation and the planet will be overrun by horrible inter-dimensional aliens. sureeeee we'd all be sitting there going "gah. i feel like such a tard for saying this was impossible" but come on; how cool would it be? XD well. cool until everyone you know gets munched by headcrabs and the few survivors get put into manual labour and slavery and beaten with glowsticks everytime they screw up >.>; eeeeyaaaaah x3;

this is no place for your bedroom fantasies mina :P

but somehow I doubt this is gonna end the world, the world is gonna end in 2012 or something end of story XD

The Strange thing about that fantasy is that if you go with Mina, you get headcrabs!!! :o

That's worse than getting normal crabs!

Topic is now in the gutter! ^_^

but somehow I doubt this is gonna end the world, the world is gonna end in 2012 or something end of story XD

00:00; December 21st, 2012 to be exact

but i call that psychotic paranoia...

Edited by BlyTwo

00:00; December 21st, 2012 to be exact

but i call that psychotic paranoia...

As much as I agree, I'm surprised that you are the one to say it.

Believe the Mayans, they are uber-smart, but be careful what ideas you get from where, and how well they were translated

and now discovery channel has a documentary about key-word searching programs scanning the internet, and somehow pointing to 2012...

Edited by BlyTwo