Sign in to follow this  
Doctor Destiny

New System Under Construction

I would seriously consider making the jump to Vista. I would also look for a different case, get a larger one, the more room the better but I would go for something less expensive. $330 US is to much. Go for a Coolmaster 690, big and heaps of space inside.

Gigabyte or ASUS for the motherboard, and stick with Intel for the CPU.

I'm getting the MSI Eclipse for the motherboard and one of the new i7 Core CPUs.

I want all of the Eclipse's SATA goodness and the case supports has 10 hard drive bays. Also, I may end up with Vista in this box but it will be a dual boot. XP Pro comes first though.

Vista sucks. I didn't want it before I got it, I don't want it now that I have it. People that say there is nothing wrong with Vista are the types that only use their computer to access the internet and play Solitaire.

Nmenth, have you installed SP1 yet? Vista SP1 is a huge leap forward. I use Vista and I do everything on it from games to working stuff for CNCNZ.com, and I have absolutely no problems. Vista is installed on both my desktop and laptop. I find it faster to get things done, locating files that sort of thing.

When I had XP on my old desktop computer I was happy with it, I would use my Vista laptop more often though because grew to like the features Vista had. Built me a new desktop computer in July and they only OS to consider was Vista.

The majority of people who don't Vista are ones who have tried running on system that aren't up to spec. If you install on your old Celeron CPU with 512 MB Ram of course its going to be slow.

Vista sucks. I didn't want it before I got it, I don't want it now that I have it. People that say there is nothing wrong with Vista are the types that only use their computer to access the internet and play Solitaire.

While I'm not going to recommend Vista yet, it's not as bad as you make it sound. Hence why I mulled around getting it as the primary OS but I'm going to stick with XP Pro for now but will eventually dual boot Vista and XP with XP as the primary. I wonder if you can triple boot cause I want OS X...

64-bit systems have more issues than I care to fight with. I'm not bothered by the RAM being truncated to 3.2 GB in slightest, and it's cheaper to get the set than individual sticks.

64 bit vista can get a bit annoying having to constantly make sure patches and programs are compatible but other than that im not having any problem with it.

you can buy really cheap parts on NCIX

and comming from the brother of a complete computer nerd: mac is irritating for everything but photo editing,

and vista is a waste of money because for one the audio stack is messed and it is just flat out crap.

XP or Linux are the operating systems to go with

Edited by BlyTwo

and vista is a waste of money because for one the audio stack is messed and it is just flat out crap.

Vista's audio stack? What the hell is that?

An audio stack is an API for communicating with the audio device and driver. Apparently it was revamped in Vista, however that's not going to affect my decision since it won't affect me in the slightest.

Splain this audio stack business

An audio stack is an API for communicating with the audio device and driver. Apparently it was revamped in Vista, however that's not going to affect my decision since it won't affect me in the slightest.

Well if that's the case I've had no problems with audio in Vista.

audiostackeb2.png

That is the audio stack I think. You can have your master volume at whatever, but if your music app is still too loud and you want to tone it down while not other apps (messaging, etc), then you can do so.

I've never used it. But I love my 64-bit Home Premium.

Oh that thing, great feature in Vista. I use it all the time.

Well if that's the case I've had no problems with audio in Vista.

Well all i say is XP is a more stable operating system

But go ahead and use a program that has the same quality as Win 98

I thought about dropping $50 on a cheap hard drive for Windows 98 anyway. Crashy as all bejesus but I used it for a long while. :P

But I love my 64-bit Home Premium.

I agree.

Initially I would have gone XP but Vista has much better 64bit compatibility than XP

I'd get a 64-bit OS but 32 is still the de facto standard and I see no real gain to switching this early. I've heard numerous stories of people literally fighting with Vista on driver and application incompatability and I see no reason to slog my way through something that ridiculous. When 64 bit is the business standard, then I will switch. Until then, 32 bit for me.

However, I am taking recommendations on the version of Vista to get. I'm at a loss. But I keep hearing Home Premium is good.

I'm using 32 bit, its fine. Everything runs great with out problems. If your going to be reinstalling your older apps its best to stick with 32 bit for compatibly sake.

As for what version of Vista, personally I'd go for Home Premium, that's what have. If not go for the whole thing and get Ultimate. It doesn't matter what Vista version you buy, every DVD is the same. It's the Product Key that determines what version you can install. If you buy Home Premium now you can upgrade to Ultimate later if you want to.

I'd get a 64-bit OS but 32 is still the de facto standard and I see no real gain to switching this early. I've heard numerous stories of people literally fighting with Vista on driver and application incompatability and I see no reason to slog my way through something that ridiculous. When 64 bit is the business standard, then I will switch. Until then, 32 bit for me.

However, I am taking recommendations on the version of Vista to get. I'm at a loss. But I keep hearing Home Premium is good.

I hadn't had one problem with Vista and I had 64-bit. I can't find one problem people have had massively within two months. Maybe a year ago, sure, but now... Everything is good. And if it isn't 64-bit compatible, I suppose that's why most of the programs went to "...Program Files (x86)/"...

And I agree with Sonic about Home Premium. There's no real justification of Ultimate over Home Premium. Take a look at this, do you see anything that Vista Ultimate really overs over HP that justifies 60+ dollars more?

/shrugs

Retail has 64-bit and 32-bit IIRC, so if you ever care to try, you could partition or setup a Virtual Machine for it and test out your apps.